PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru timberline in use?

Work2hunt
03-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Trying to do some research on a pack and it looks like if you are packing out an animal with a kifaru timberline or really any of the kifaru a you would have to put the quarter in with your gear. Is that correct? When I look at the stone glacier terminus or the eberlestock dragon fly the meat can be carried on the outside. I think I really like that the terminus can hold the meat by my back or closer to my center of gravity.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-02-2013, 06:56 PM
You can get the meat just as close in the bag as out. The Duplex/Bikini Timberline packs can put the load between the frame and the bag as well. You can use the Heavy Load Out Accessory if you want.

Work2hunt
03-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok. I'm guessing you can only do that with the duplex model? I wish I could see more pictures of the timberline loaded on Kifaru's website or somewhere. Just trying to get a feel for the bag. Not sure if I could get my hands on one to see how it is without ordering one myself.

RUTTIN
03-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Try going to Vimeo.com and typing in Kifaru Timberline there are a few videos on there from Aron Snyder he know his stuff on Kifaru http://vimeo.com/38344202 here is a link to one of them.

DryFlyGuy
03-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Trying to do some research on a pack and it looks like if you are packing out an animal with a kifaru timberline or really any of the kifaru a you would have to put the quarter in with your gear. Is that correct? When I look at the stone glacier terminus or the eberlestock dragon fly the meat can be carried on the outside. I think I really like that the terminus can hold the meat by my back or closer to my center of gravity.

No, that is not correct. As others have mentioned, you have the option to put meat inside the bag with your gear, you can have it between the frame and the bag, or you can have it outside your bag away from the frame. My guess is the that the closer and higher you have it to your body, the more comfortable it will be for you.

NorthT
03-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey guys I'm in the market for a new pack as well. What's the main difference in the bikini frame and the hunting frame other than weight reduction? They say they can each handle 100plus lbs. is the hunting frame more comfortable?? I was personally looking at the dt2 but unsure about the frame. 6 days out would be about my max but love the option of throwing on a different size bag if ever needed. Think I could make the t3 bag work as well. Any thoughts ????

DryFlyGuy
03-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Hey guys I'm in the market for a new pack as well. What's the main difference in the bikini frame and the hunting frame other than weight reduction? They say they can each handle 100plus lbs. is the hunting frame more comfortable?? I was personally looking at the dt2 but unsure about the frame. 6 days out would be about my max but love the option of throwing on a different size bag if ever needed. Think I could make the t3 bag work as well. Any thoughts ????

I won't comment to the comfortability question, because I haven't personally compared them. As you correctly pointed out, they both are rated at 100+ pounds.

Relative to your bag question, even the biggest packs compress down and make good day packs. My recommendation would be to err on the larger volume packs. I just don't see much downside to a bigger bag.

NorthT
03-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations on whether to go with the 24 or 26 stay length?? Would think more would be better. I'm 5 10 with 20.5 torso if that helps. And what is the flat back and normal? How do you tell?

Drhorsepower
03-22-2013, 08:06 AM
The best thing to do is call them and talk to Aron Snyder. He will line you out.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Yep,

Call Aron.

He will get you set up. You are going to want 26 inch stays though.

NorthT
03-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Cool thanks guys