PDA

View Full Version : 2 nice guys in from MI looking to join forces with a WY resident for some backcountry

elk_n_esox
03-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Gentleman and possibly ladies. My friend Adam and I have drawn WY general elk tags and are looking for REAL backcountry adventure. I've hunted areas 89/90/91 with some decent success but am looking into going into some of the real backcountry wilderness GEN tag areas around yellowstone. As you know we cannot access these lands in WY without a guide, and although I have nothing but admiration for guides, but while I'm still young enough to do it, I want to tackle this adventure with my own wits and hard work. A WY resident, free of charge can acquire a resident guide license and away we go! If you or any WY residents you know are interested in joining forces for an adventure like this please let me know. We are normal people with normal lives and families and what the heck... you only live once, and this is something I've always wanted to do. 20 some years ago, on a whim another good friend of mine and I applied for and got tags in NM unit 16A archery (back when drawing great tags was pretty easy for non-residents) and we met a few guys from Silver City NM out in the middle of the Gila Wilderness, we teamed up had a great time, and even helped hump out Mike's (from silver city) first bull elk. Yet today, we are still good friends and remain in touch. Thanks all and everybody have a great 2013! Ty N.

T.S. Allen
03-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Is that true a Wyoming resident can become a guide free of charge?

elk_n_esox
03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
A resident guide is unpaid and licensed to hunt in that area and is basically just hunting with nonres hunters.

T.S. Allen
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
I sent you a PM

Stig87
03-03-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty sure what you said is untrue. Here's a link to the regulations. http://outfitters.state.wy.us/outfitters.aspx

From what I see, there is a charge, and the guide has to be employed by an outfitter.

T.S. Allen
03-03-2013, 08:46 AM
That is the same site I was looking at. I would have to agree.

ssliger
03-03-2013, 10:07 AM
http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/titles/Title23/T23CH2AR4.htm

It is ok to go into wilderness areas with a resident guide. This is not common knowledge cause the paid outfitters don't want you to know. A resident can get a resident guide license to accompany an out of state hunter in wilderness areas as long as there is no compensation. I hope this link helps.

elk_n_esox
03-03-2013, 10:13 AM
yes that is true. A wyo game and fish officer told me this before. check this link http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/titles/Title23/T23CH2AR4.htm

T.S. Allen
03-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks ssliger.

elk_n_esox
03-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Has anybody hunted up near the park in the last couple years? Units 60/70/71/81? I know the wolves had decimated the elk a few years ago, although it seems the elk may be staging a come-back? The wolf tags may be having the desired effect? There's alot of conflicting information out there. I was spoiled in my early elk hunting years hunting 16A in NM where we saw sometimes herds of hundreds per day. We'd really like to get into some elk and have a decent chance. I also heard the elk rarely bugle because it brings the wolves??? Is that true? thanks all!

mntnguide
03-06-2013, 09:19 AM
there was a total quota of 3 wolf tags for the entire teton wilderness....They played absolutely no affect to the wolf population that is present there

elk_n_esox
03-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Not good at all!

trkytrack2
03-06-2013, 04:00 PM
The tricky part about the law is the "no compensation" rule. You can't accept as much as a Snickers candy bar from one of the hunters because that would be a form of compensation in the eyes of the law. There is a $70 fee for the fourteen day temporary guide license. Good luck if you attempt this ...your going to need it.

elk_n_esox
03-06-2013, 06:06 PM
TRKY had you read link supplied previously you'd see that a "resident guide" is a free proposition. We always need good luck because those wonderful lands of wyoming are 22 hours away, and that might include bending the speed limit here or there. We've done it before and had success, all by ourselves in several states. This time we're just asking for someone to come on this adventure with us, no more and no less. There's been great response and this is going to happen one way or another. At some point we all need to figure out that we're all in this together, before it's too late and these opportunites become so rare and expensive that only the wealthy get to do it or it's gone all together. I've helped total strangers quarter and pack out their elk. I've helped lost people get found, people dig out their buried rigs, find their lost horses, and on many occasions, have offered and welcomed other hunters to camp and hunt with us. There's still lots of good, fun and genuine people out there looking for an adventure and we're all going to have a great time! Respectfully e_N_e

ssliger
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
If I was near that area I would love to go with you.

T.S. Allen
03-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Back country adventures with new friends sounds like an amazing good time. We should all be connecting like this more.

Colorado Cowboy
03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I hunted in the Teton Wilderness in Thorofare in 2011 (with an outfitter). The wolves have definately taken a toll on the elk, deer & moose. We also saw lots of grizzlies. I don't know about the resident guide thing, but I definately would not venture into this area without some local knowledge. The bears can be a serious problem and are definately not afraid of humans from what I've seen. The area we hunted was right next to the SE corner of the Park. It was a 33 mile, 9 1/2 hour ride to camp from the trailhead. I'm no expert on the area, but it is really awsome country.

Good luck.

elk_n_esox
03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I'll 2nd that! now if my kid would just go to sleep!!!!

elk_n_esox
03-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Yeah I can honestly say I'm not thrilled about the GRIZ situation... but that's part of the deal when you hunt up there. We'll take the necessary precautions for sure. Plus as long as I can run faster than just 1 of our group... I should be OK! ;)

shootbrownelk
03-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Yeah I can honestly say I'm not thrilled about the GRIZ situation... but that's part of the deal when you hunt up there. We'll take the necessary precautions for sure. Plus as long as I can run faster than just 1 of our group... I should be OK! ;)

Elk, bring along some approved bear pepper spray and NEVER run! From what I've heard from friends, the bulls don't bugle much because of the wolf presence. Those killer wolves sure thinned out the elk since '95. I haven't hunted teton park in 12 years. Too many wolves & grizzlies!

Colorado Cowboy
03-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Elk, bring along some approved bear pepper spray and NEVER run! From what I've heard from friends, the bulls don't bugle much because of the wolf presence. Those killer wolves sure thinned out the elk since '95. I haven't hunted teton park in 12 years. Too many wolves & grizzlies!

We were all told by our outfitter in advance to bring bear spray as the FS would not let them take any hunters without it. I was there during the rut and heard NO bugles. We found one small group of about 10 cows and a small bull on the opposited side of a canyon about 1/2 mile away. My guide cow called and the bull grunted back. Within 10 minutes there was a pack of wolves on them and they scattered like a covey of quail! My guide told me that happens a lot.

Ikeepitcold
03-09-2013, 06:53 AM
We were all told by our outfitter in advance to bring bear spray as the FS would not let them take any hunters without it. I was there during the rut and heard NO bugles. We found one small group of about 10 cows and a small bull on the opposited side of a canyon about 1/2 mile away. My guide cow called and the bull grunted back. Within 10 minutes there was a pack of wolves on them and they scattered like a covey of quail! My guide told me that happens a lot.

How friggin sad is that! Not only do they kill everything I wonder how many elk die of stress alone from the wolves chasing them.

elk_n_esox
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
The wolves are a plague on the wildlife in that region and the politicians are more worried about re-election and not pissing off the animal rights greenpeace wolf conservationist disc golf playing masses out there, than doing their real job. I just read the other day how some famous wolf was legally harvested in montana, and because he was collared and probably extra plush and cuddly, all wolf hunting around yellowstone in Montana has been suspended. This stuff makes me sick! I'm shocked the ranchers, landowners and outfitters haven't fertilized the ground with every wolf they come across. It is clearly out of hand and only baby steps have seemingly been taken to remedy the problem.

kcaves
03-10-2013, 03:43 AM
its not like wolves are under every tree, we hunted elk between jackson and dubois this year and all of us had wolf tags in our pockets, that area had a quota of 7 wolves, which tells me there are quite a few in the area. I personally went to find a wolf and I never even saw any tracks. Saw 3 or 4 grizzlies in there. Our group managed to take down 2 or 3 bull elk though. Nothing huge though. After that experience, I think I'll stick to the eastern side of the state

mntnguide
03-10-2013, 09:16 AM
I can assure you, if you go along with your plan of yours to hunt elk in the wilderness with a resident...You will be hassled much more by grizz than by wolves. Its a whole different ball game out here than other areas that arent thick with bears.

T.S. Allen
03-10-2013, 09:45 AM
mntnguide,

Do you feel the bears are as big of an issue in surrounding units? As in 70 or 71?

mntnguide
03-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Entirely. The bears that i deal with are in 70,71. Its thick. from the trailheads all the way to the yellowstone line. My camp sits 18 miles into the wilderness, we pack in boat batteries and run 3 strand electric fence around the entire camp and corral area that pushes 11,000 volts when turned on. I guess i should mention that if we didnt have that fence, we would have a grizz IN camp each night most likely. They are a serious nuisance and get worse as the season goes on and they get closer to hibernation as they look more and more for food sources. I will try to remember to post up a couple game cam pics i got this fall of one of the biggest bears i have deal with. He caused us absolute havoc around camp this year, so i set up a game cam and got picture and video of him hitting the fence.

ssliger
03-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Entirely. The bears that i deal with are in 70,71. Its thick. from the trailheads all the way to the yellowstone line. My camp sits 18 miles into the wilderness, we pack in boat batteries and run 3 strand electric fence around the entire camp and corral area that pushes 11,000 volts when turned on. I guess i should mention that if we didnt have that fence, we would have a grizz IN camp each night most likely. They are a serious nuisance and get worse as the season goes on and they get closer to hibernation as they look more and more for food sources. I will try to remember to post up a couple game cam pics i got this fall of one of the biggest bears i have deal with. He caused us absolute havoc around camp this year, so i set up a game cam and got picture and video of him hitting the fence.
Would love to see those pics!

Colorado Cowboy
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Yes sir!!! The hunt I went on in Thorofare was the same. Our camp had electric fence around it and several camp dogs that sounded the alarm when a bear was near....

T.S. Allen
03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Heck yeah lets see some of the pics. That sounds like some stressful sleep. I bet that helps keep hunters out in the field and not just sunning in camp.
;)
But heck for the chance at a big old herd bull isn't it all worth it? As long as you stay alert use proper storage and keep a clean camp. It sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

Fink
03-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Screw all that... When decided what units to apply for, the first question I answer, above all else, is: Are there grizzlies in the area. I refuse to hunt anywhere near where they are, or might could be.

You could say I have an mildly irrational fear of them.

Colorado Cowboy
03-10-2013, 01:21 PM
I know one thing for sure....I consider the big bears (Grizzlies & Alaskan Browns) as the most dangerous animals in North America! I want nothing to do with them except from a long distance away. I really don't even have any desire to hunt them either. They are awsome animals.

Muleys 24/7
03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
You might see signs like this when coming into the wilderness areas, this pic was taken by a buddy in Wyoming

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/g1_zps65e4d911.png

Colorado Cowboy
03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Yep, saw just like it at the Deer Creek Trailhead.

HuntWYODon
03-10-2013, 03:10 PM
I can assure you, if you go along with your plan of yours to hunt elk in the wilderness with a resident...You will be hassled much more by grizz than by wolves. Its a whole different ball game out here than other areas that arent thick with bears.

I'll second that mntguide ! The grizzlies haven't been hunted since around 1970 and have no fear of people and will eat your downed elk if they get to it before you do and not a thing you can do about it. They have no fear of going after your hanging meat (elk and deer) either. I'm sure wolves are no different but at least they are getting an education , the slow way.
How all has been well with you mtnuide .

HuntWYODon
03-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Hey ! I had copyrights on that pic ! LOL !
I have a better one taken by moonlite in a different area but I didn't want to scare you off with it...

ivorytip
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
eastern idaho units are getting there grizz probs too, obviously island park and driggs area but also pallisades on both sides of hwy and north and south of there along wyoming border. stopped baiting bears in a couple spots for that very reason. had a close run in with a grizz in unit 67 years back and wasnt cool knowing i had little choice as to what to do. luckly we backed out and he headed the other way. even during self protection if you harm or kill a grizz and tell about it you become the criminal. child molesters get lighter sentences than some people that have killed grizz in defense. not cool.

mntnguide
03-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Here are a couple pictures of this guy from my game cam...I should mention that he figured out how to rip through the electric fence with one rip of his paw. That is what is laying on the ground under him. .. So yea, just cause you have a fence doesnt mean your safe. We guessed him at 500+lbs.. easily. He is one of dozens we see regularly. I usually see 2+ a day while out covering country guiding.

elk_n_esox
03-10-2013, 07:24 PM
This will be like the movies.... "who's got first watch?"... don't forget the night vision goggles... ;) oh New Mexico I miss you so....!

ssliger
03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
That bear is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProjectCO87
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Get the bear spray out!

ivorytip
03-10-2013, 08:54 PM
mntnguide... where did you get those pics at? what state? thats creepy,

mntnguide
03-10-2013, 08:57 PM
He is a western WY bear. Got the pictures of him this past fall.

elk_n_esox
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
This has really been great, and I appreciate all the info and help from everybody. This plan is coming together and we have much research to do on various units and hunt options. Any further hints, ideas or help is greatly appreciated. I don't expect the coordinates to your personal honey hole, or to have a couple nice bulls tied to a tree for us. Just some thoughts or insight is always helpful. You are all really wonderful folks!

crumy
03-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Bears are nothing to mess with but I will still go out. I've been in NW Wyoming twice in past 3 years. I live in SE and the hunting is ok. but the hunting up in the carnivore section is just too good. But you still have to have your head on a swivel. People i trust have given me some information about how/what to do and it makes me "feel" better. Besides half the game is mental.

Elk_n_esox - I would take you if I was going in that area. But you would have to wear an Ohio State hat. I'm die-hard buckeye from Columbus. :)

elk_n_esox
03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Come on now... for me to wear an OHIO STATE hat.... I'd need you to tie that big ol bull to a tree! Thats sacrilege around these parts!

Do you remember a guy named Grant Bowman? DT from Columbus? Went to UM?

crumy
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
You would be amazed at the Ohio State and UofM fans out here.

The name escaped me so I looked it up. It appears the he was the captain in 2003 and that is when that team up north beat my buckeyes. So I don't acknowledge that year as actually occurring. :) But I did see he had a stint with the best team in the NFL . (steelers for those that are wondering)

elk_n_esox
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
That's Funny stuff..... yeah I'm friends with his older brother. He was going to go to OSU but since he was a local kid they figured they didn't need to go full boat on his scholarship... whoops! So he migrated north. I myself went to eastern MI, just down the street from UMich, and have no great love for the wolverines... unless they're playing "ohio" as you folks are now being referred. Most of the kids at UM were silverspoons from NY and NJ when I was in school, so we never quite "clicked". They were driving bmw's... I had a ratty old ford truck, with a pair of waders and a shotgun behind the seat!

Colorado Cowboy
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Fight On! Anyone know where this comes from. My alma mater as long as we are speaking about college football. Yes i did plat there ....a long time ago in the 50's.

elk_n_esox
03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Fight On! Anyone know where this comes from. My alma mater as long as we are speaking about college football. Yes i did plat there ....a long time ago in the 50's.

Let's narrow this down since i think that song covers several colleges?? Were you part of the union or confederacy... ;) Hee hee

Colorado Cowboy
03-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Union...even tho it was southern California. Fight on Trojan Nation.

elk_n_esox
09-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Well folks... serious SNAFU... After some great contact, info and planning over the spring and summer, our WY buddy has gone completely MIA. We had a really cool sounding plan in the works for an amazing opportunity and it seems we're left scrambling and in a lurch. We're back to normal, just winging-it and doing the best we can. What I really need is to get a couple horses rented in the pinedale/big piney area that won't break the bank? Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. No matter what I'm getting a stinking elk this year! thanks all!

DryFlyGuy
09-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Sorry your 'friend' went MIA. I was lining up a hunt with a guy from Iowa, but he backed out on account of his knees. I think a preseason scouting pic I sent to him last weekend made him question that decision.

I don't know anyone who rents horses down there. I know some serious hunters down there because I grew up in Big Piney. Good Luck!

elk_n_esox
09-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Thanks DryFlyGuy... the whole thing is really weird! The worst part is I had several other REALLY COOL offers, and I decided to teamup with this person because he was the first guy to volunteer and he was GUNG HO! Now we're screwed and just going to wing it and work our butts off!

25contender
09-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Not screwed go out and enjoy yourself. I had something similar happen to me 20 years ago for my first Elk Hunt but it was with a outfitter. So off I went on my own I saw plenty of Elk but never connected and it was a hell of a learning experience. I still think of that hunt as on of the best because I bit the bullet and went anyway. Get out the maps study them and go have a good time. Never thought about using a outfitter again.

I met some great people on that hunt while hunting shared info, lunch, and to this day I keep in touch with one of them.

DryFlyGuy
09-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Sent you a PM.

elk_n_esox
09-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Well I know based on the many of the heartfelt messages and communications I should post the final result of our saga... After a 27 Hour ride to get to our destination we chose after our debacle...arriving at 1:30AM we discovered the ENTIRE area had been burned in a MASSIVE forest fire. I found this almost humerous since I Had previously spoken to the WY G&F office in that area and the woman I had spoke to said there had been a decent fire, but the area was flush with new growth and feed, and the elk were flourishing. I must say most of the land I surveyed (which was many miles hiking and many driving around) looked like the aftermath of a nuclear apocolypse. Very little if any fresh elk sign. ON TO PLAN D or E...F... who knows at thos point right??? situation NORMAL... all F&^&*ed up! A wonderful rancher who was out collecting his free range cattle took a cup of fresh camp coffee and gave us some thoughts on where he had recently seen some elk and lots of sign. We were on the move again, already exhausted and really frustrated. So we found a nice place to camp, set up the tent literally minutes before an angry downpour, and it continued to rain off and on (mostly on) for the next 4 or 5 days.... We worked OUR TAILS off and finally found some elk (also MASSIVE thanks to a couple WYO G&F officers who helped us pinpoint some really good areas to look) and even BUGLING BULLS!!!! For the last few days of our hunt we experienced elk hunting bliss.... chasing bugling bulls just like on TV!! We had several close calls with some medium bulls, and called a spike into within 25 ft that I passed on, because I had been on the tail of a really nice bull who had gathered about 15 to 20 cows. Even though he was not interested in any combination of calls I was throwing his way, on several occasions I had worked into position where I thought I'd get a shot at him.... But as we all know those big bulls get BIG... because they're smart and LUCKY. He continued to evade me, even though several times I thought FOR SURE I had him in my clutches.... So another year of TAG SOUP! all in all we had a great time, and look forward to hunting that area sometime again in the future.... now that we have some good basic knowledge and experience there. time for some rest and recouperation.... and I'm ALREADY EXCITED ABOUT NEXT YEAR'S POSSIBILITIES!!!!! thanks all! TY N.

25contender
09-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Tag soup is not always a bad thing. My hunt this year has been one of the best I have had in a long time. I still have a tag and it doesn't bother me a bit.

elk_n_esox
09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Well.... I'll call it a decent hunt, but a GREAT TIME! The experience in that spot is invaluable....and I LOVE to spend a week camping and hunting in the mountains... but that TAG SOUP costs a mid-western NON-res like myself at least $3000 when you factor in everything. So... some medium-rare backstraps, and freezer full of lean red-meat, always seems to help when negotiating these trips with the wife..... prior to this it's been 4 years since I elk hunted and 6 years since I filled a tag, and I'm not getting any younger! ;)