PDA

View Full Version : 4 preference points in WY

goathunter
03-04-2013, 09:04 PM
what would you do with 4 preference points in WY? I'm not interested in spending the money on a special tag. thanks

Airborne1
03-05-2013, 06:57 AM
I'd save my points this year if I had 4 pp. Based on everything I have read the antelope numbers are way down this year:(

Umpqua Hunter
03-05-2013, 10:16 AM
There will be PLENTY of pronghorn to hunt, fish and game will adjust numbers according to the herd size, and success will be up near 90%. You should have no problem taking a nice pronghorn. A lot of units have doe tags cut way back which will put fewer hunters in the field.

Future years may be tough as I am hearing about lower fawn numbers which will affect the numbers of trophy bucks in 3-4 years.

If a top end trophy is important to you, you possibly might want to wait. The drought from last year may have affected the tops of the horn growth which starts in November, but good moisture so far may be indicating better than expected horn growth this spring. My gut says there will be equivalent trophy quality as last year. There are always going to be a few big antelope, it just takes more work to sort through them on an off year.

Last year, on the year so many are complaining about, one of the best pronghorn outfitters I know of in the US guided for 12 bucks on at least 5 different Wyoming units (public land I believe) and took the following bucks 91 4/8, 88 2/8, 88 2/8, 86 6/8, 86 4/8, 85 2/8, 85 2/8, 85, 83 4/8, 83, 82, 81. The median buck in that group is 85 2/8", and all but one scores at or above the B&C minimum. That just goes to show that Wyoming has big bucks even in off years, and that most pronghorn hunters have a very, very, very hard time sizing up trophy bucks.

See the last 12 bucks in this string of photos:

http://www.pronghornguideservice.com/recent-photos.html

If you are only applying in the regular draw, it may be a good year as far as draw odds since a lot of guys are scared about the drought.

One of these years, I am going to just take 2 weeks in Wyoming to hunt antelope and nothing else else until I find a mid 80s buck.

WapitiBob
03-05-2013, 11:44 AM
You will just need to see what units you can draw if you really want to burn your points. Begin looking at units that start with a 4 and work up to units that start with a 6.

goathunter
03-05-2013, 06:53 PM
well I was looking at 78 and 80 but haven't found alot of positive information about them

Eberle
03-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Unit 63, lots of public & good bucks.

Umpqua Hunter
03-05-2013, 11:01 PM
well I was looking at 78 and 80 but haven't found alot of positive information about them

Low antelope densities in Unit 78 and 80. You can draw FAR better units with 4 points.

oldbobinjoseph
03-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I too have 4 points for Antelope (as well as deer and Elk) keep waiting for my Marine son to be able to go as he has like points but not so again this year so I'm putting in for goat anyway. Don't really want to burn my points in the hope he can go next year so was thinking of doing the special draw and going for unit 57 as first and #71 as second with the hopes of drawing #71 and saving my points. Any thoughts and/or recommendations...?

Umpqua Hunter
03-06-2013, 12:59 AM
That's a great strategy putting in for a great unit first and a unit you can draw as you second choice, go hunting and gain a point. One thing though, the reports on 57 have not been good the last could years. I think there are better choices than 57 for that your choice.

oldbobinjoseph
03-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I too have 4 points for Antelope (as well as deer and Elk) keep waiting for my Marine son to be able to go as he has like points but not so again this year so I'm putting in for goat anyway. Don't really want to burn my points in the hope he can go next year so was thinking of doing the special draw and going for unit 57 as first and #71 as second with the hopes of drawing #71 and saving my points. Any thoughts and/or recommendations...?

Thanks UH. I chose #57 ONLY because, according to EHJ it required the most points...Guess I should consider the possibility of getting drawn, huh? What do you suggest?

Umpqua Hunter
03-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks UH. I chose #57 ONLY because, according to EHJ it required the most points...Guess I should consider the possibility of getting drawn, huh? What do you suggest?

Unit 60, 61 and 64 are considered "ultra blue" units. Any of those I think would be a great choice.

oldbobinjoseph
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks again. Happy hunting...

shootbrownelk
03-09-2013, 01:11 AM
what would you do with 4 preference points in WY? I'm not interested in spending the money on a special tag. thanks

Goathunter, areas # 61 & 62 Red desert ....trophy bucks, mostly public land (BLM) Hard to draw however.

BobT
03-09-2013, 06:08 AM

From what I've seen the last 2 years 71 will be a tough hunt, especially on public land. Last year all I saw were does and very small bucks in the unit, and very few of those. I never got off the road though since I was hunting 72.

Bob

oldbobinjoseph
03-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the info Bob. I'm not in the trophy business, but wouldn't pass one up. I would really just like a good hunt and do enjoy Antelope meat so a 14-15 incher would not be something I'd pass on. When my boy can join me he'll be out for horns. Sad to say, but here in NE Oregon, he's passed on bull elk that I'd have shot the first day. To each his own...

BobT
03-10-2013, 08:46 AM
No problem! I had a really fun hunt in 71 4 years ago. I would like to hunt it again some day, if you do draw it let me know and I can give you some starting points if you like.

Bob

oldbobinjoseph
03-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Thanks again Bob. Will contact you if I draw...

MWScott72
03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Goathunter, areas # 61 & 62 Red desert ....trophy bucks, mostly public land (BLM) Hard to draw however.

Anything less than 6 points going in last year couldn't pull 61 on a points basis. You'd have to get lucky and draw one of the random tags. This is one of the most popular units in WY and the odds show it.

A Type 2 permit on 62 would be doable as you could draw it with 0 points, but I have heard that 62 has some serious access issues (which leads me to believe that is the reason you can draw the Type 2 with 0 points). If you were to apply for 62, I'd make sure you have a spot with guaranteed access.

Keep in mind that quotas may be cut substantially this year (up to a third I've heard in some units). That doesn't bode well for odds either. Maybe those that do decide to put in will get lucky though because others are sitting it out this fall hoping for better conditions for horn growth next year. Only time will tell.

gschuer
03-13-2013, 06:32 PM
What is the difference in the type 1 and type 2 antelope tags and is there an archery specific season you can hunt with the antelope tags?

JEandAsGuide
03-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Type 9 is archery but I believe you can hunt archery with a type 1 or 2 license. Not sure on dates.

shootbrownelk
03-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Anything less than 6 points going in last year couldn't pull 61 on a points basis. You'd have to get lucky and draw one of the random tags. This is one of the most popular units in WY and the odds show it.

A Type 2 permit on 62 would be doable as you could draw it with 0 points, but I have heard that 62 has some serious access issues (which leads me to believe that is the reason you can draw the Type 2 with 0 points). If you were to apply for 62, I'd make sure you have a spot with guaranteed access.

Keep in mind that quotas may be cut substantially this year (up to a third I've heard in some units). That doesn't bode well for odds either. Maybe those that do decide to put in will get lucky though because others are sitting it out this fall hoping for better conditions for horn growth next year. Only time will tell.

There is a lot of BLM land in 62, I have never had a problem with access.

MWScott72
03-15-2013, 08:35 AM
What is the difference in the type 1 and type 2 antelope tags and is there an archery specific season you can hunt with the antelope tags?

My understanding is that a type 1 is a buck tag good for an entire unit (let's take 63 for example). A type 2 is a buck tag that is only good in a certain portion of said unit. Last year the Type 2 tag in 63 was only good for the eastern half of 63. Best to check the regs if you apply for a Type 2 so you know exactly where it's good and where it's not.

MWScott72
03-15-2013, 08:36 AM
There is a lot of BLM land in 62, I have never had a problem with access.

Good to know - thanks! Never hunted 62, just heard info thru the grapevine.

JEandAsGuide
03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
My understanding is that a type 1 is a buck tag good for an entire unit (let's take 63 for example). A type 2 is a buck tag that is only good in a certain portion of said unit. Last year the Type 2 tag in 63 was only good for the eastern half of 63. Best to check the regs if you apply for a Type 2 so you know exactly where it's good and where it's not.

Type 2 may also have the same boundaries as type1 but a different opening day

EBOLAVIRS
03-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Type 2 in 62 has access issues that is why you can get it with zero points. Look up the hunt description, north of wise dugout and east of continental divide the vast majority of that is checkerboard. A buddy of mine hunted that area and said a lot of the land is leased up by an outfitter. There is some BLM around but can you even legally get to it? The land around the reservoir also appears to be almost all private. Those conditions would make me nervous even with a GPS chip.

This is what pronghornguide service had to say about that tag...

"We guided in 62-2 last year. We counted about 12 total sections that you can access that might have antelope in it. The rest of the area is either private or would require driving through private for access and all of the private land is marked and run by an outfitter. Unless you include the "half" sections either side of the highway that you might catch a buck standing in like Cade mentions - that might increase the total accessible land by a little."

But maybe they are just trying to downplay an area they liked....who knows.

It has been my experience though that zero preference tags are zero preference for a reason.

SouthernWyo
03-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Actually, unit 62 is over 50% private land. There is accessible public to hunt as well as walk-in areas, but there is also quite a bit of country that requires private land permission. The type 2 tags, in the east/southeast portion of the unit, encompass mostly checkerboard lands. Again, there are some public blocks with access, but a good map is a must.

"It has been my experience though that zero preference tags are zero preference for a reason." Truer words have not been spoken. There are no secret spots where the access is open, the draw odds are high, and the Boone and Crockett bucks run free and stupid...

goathunter
01-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Here we are one year later and I have the same question and one more point! curious if 5 points changes anyone's opinion.

Topgun 30-06
01-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Here we are one year later and I have the same question and one more point! curious if 5 points changes anyone's opinion.

***Yep, you just spent another $30 on a PP last year with no more chance of drawing a great unit this year than you did last year! Just pick a good unit with plenty of accessible public land and do your hunt this year before the license fees go up. There are plenty of good bucks in most units if you get off the roads and hunt for them, as evidenced by the post UH made!

***As far as the comment by EBOLAVIRS, it is not accurate as Eli is a straight shooter and even though he and his Dad run that guide service, he's on a lot of websites helping people do DIY hunts just because he's a good guy!!!

Musket Man
01-30-2014, 09:46 AM
There are units you can draw 2nd choice in the regular draw that I think would be comparable to 71. IMO 71 has alot of tags for a small unit.

Umpqua Hunter
01-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Goathunter. I sent you a personal message (PM).

Eli is a super guy. He has helped me on numerous occasions through personal messages. No one judges antelope better and kills better antelope than he and his dad. I have never known him to alter info to throw someone off. He gives unit recommendations and advice, often with no benefit to himself. The guy just loves antelope hunting.

Fish
01-30-2014, 01:55 PM
I may be real wrong, but I bet that most hunters are real happy if they kill a high 70's inch scoring buck and that also goes for the blue chip areas. Most can't keep their finger off the trigger or spend the days and time need to kill an 82 inch buck. Been there myself and seen more that a few others shoot a decent buck that was close to their rig or road. The poster didn't really say what caliber of buck he was looking for. I've been in a few areas that were not even green chip and found a few that would make most happy, especially a NR with limited time and knowledge of the area. Just my observations from the last 3 seasons hunting antelope in WY.
So where to spend 4 or 5 points is a moot point if your not looking for > 82 in buck.

Musket Man
01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
This thread is a little confusing being from 2 different years and 2 guys asking similar questions. lol. I have herd numbers are down from a few sources but in the 2 different units I hunted the last 2 years I saw lots of antelope in both and killed 2 antelope most hunters would be very happy with. Most units in WY hold decent antelope numbers and IMO the biggest issue or factor for the DIY public land hunter is public land and access to it. If you are truly looking for a B&C+ buck it might be best to hold out for 1 of the units known for producing that caliber of buck but other wise with 3-5 points you can draw a unit you can have a very good hunt in. I would apply for the unit with the best access/public land you have the points to draw and go for it! If you are in a unit with a high %of public land and good access its pretty hard to have a bad antelope hunt in WY.