PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming unit 100 Cow Elk

zhartman
03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
My dad and I were successful this year in drawing a Wyoming unit 100 Cow Elk tag. I am in the beginning process of trying to get some direction for this hunt and thought I would start here before calling the Wyoming game and fish/wildlife biologist. I was wondering if anybody had any tips as far as a good place to start in this unit? It is a large unit but seems to have a large population of elk.
*We were planning on a 5 day hunt, does this seem like enough time to be successful if we hunt hard?
*We have a Polaris side-by-side. Would this be worth bringing along?
*Am I better off hunting opening day? or should I wait a few days to let some of the hunting pressure cool off?
*Am I better off getting a few miles off of the road and glassing? or what is the best way to hunt in the open desert?

Any advice from people familiar with the area or who have hunted it before would be awesome! Feel free to private message me if you would sooner discuss there. Thanks!

Umpqua Hunter
03-05-2013, 10:57 PM
I think Unit 100 may be one of the easiest elk hunts in America. The last time we hunted antelope in Unit 92 (same area as elk Unit 100) we saw elk up by Oregon Buttes in the northern part of the unit. There are elk all over in the slightly "rougher" broken country after the shooting starts (all of it is pretty easy terrain). You definitely won't have to get "a few miles" off the road, just look for pockets in the more broken country where you can't see into it from the road, and by that I mean maybe a quarter or half mile away off the road. Find high points and use your glass, and you will find elk.

I love having an ATV for a hunt but I certainly don't think it would be necessary if it's a pain to bring with you. There are lots of roads.

We drew two tags many years ago and killed two bulls on the first two days of the season. We had done virtually no scouting or research for the hunt, and just showed up opening day "blind". There is a reason even the bull hunt runs around a 90% success rate.

I am not the best guy to ask about when to hunt the unit, but I recall it is only a two week season, so it's not like the month long seasons you so often run into in Wyoming, where you can hunt a couple weeks after the opening crunch.

highplainsdrifter
03-06-2013, 08:59 AM
I have hunted this unit for cow elk several times. While it is an easy hunt, be prepared for a lot of walking/stalking. It is not uncommon to walk a couple of miles to circle downwind only to find the elk gone when you finally get close...a lot like antelope hunting.

Definitely take your UTV. It is fun to drive around and class for elk. You will see at least a 100 per day...not all are approachable in that open country.

Also, be aware that the roads can get very "greasey" after a rain or after a snow thaw. If you pull a travel trailer in there, you cannot get out right after a rain. You will need to wait until things dry out.

zhartman
03-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Thank you very much for the info. October cannot come fast enough for me.

ssliger
03-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Also, be aware that the roads can get very "greasey" after a rain or after a snow thaw. If you pull a travel trailer in there, you cannot get out right after a rain. You will need to wait until things dry out.

This is sound advice, growing up in Rock Springs and spending so much of my childhood out looking for arrowheads in the Red Desert. If you get rain or snow you can't get anywhere.