PDA

View Full Version : MT Elk/Deer Applications, Terrible Process!

HuskyMusky
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM
For the non-res MT is a terrible system.

They offer no "points only option" for special elk/deer permits, you can apply for pts only for deer/elk if you fail to draw a general deer, or elk, or combo license, but if you draw the tag and only want points, you only get an 85% refund? or so, which leaves you something like $150-200 lost. So essentially if you wnt points only in MT it costs you $200 plus the other permit fees etc...

Perhaps this is to keep people from applying for points only, or just letting the rich gain points while the rest of us only apply in years we can actually hunt.

Not sure who's running the show in MT, but they can do better.

Also worth pointing out, MT, sheep, moose, and goat tags, since no points only option, leaves hunters who only want points apply for the toughest draw odd units, leaving hunters who actually want that tag putting up against hunters who only want points and not the tag, so the best unit and/or toughest odd units get more applicants than they really should, further reducing odds. Sounds like a lose-lose situation.

I say you can have a points only option, and still require hunters to front the entire tag fee, or even half, vs. no fee then everyone would apply, but full tag fees, then people would just apply for the tag vs. points only.

Basically MT needs a points only option that requires half the tag fee up front, and would refund almost all of your application fees, app fees of almost $200 are absurd.

my lil rant, not bashing MT hunters or Montanians in general btw, just their application system. Btw why does online cost more than mailing in tags? something like $50 to apply online for the avg. non res? once the system has been paid for, it should be free/cheaper, less people doing the work, it's automated. This fee should be reduced as well.

Just my $0.02

Fink
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
And....... That's why I don't apply in Montana.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-08-2013, 05:39 PM
I agree HM!

Not having points only options just ruins the odds for those that want to draw.

However,

It isn't all bad. NR hunters that just want to hunt MT's general districts (or unlimited draws) can be relatively certain they will get to hunt, and hunt every year.

Muleys 24/7
03-08-2013, 06:33 PM
And....... That's why I don't apply in Montana.

Same here.

Montana
03-09-2013, 07:06 AM
I think Monata a gets blasted everywhere they turn. And I would like a few things changed too but I will say this, the increased fees across the board is a step in the right direction to increase quality of hunting. We have Extremely liberal hunting seasons here. By no means is this a fix or cure all but it's a step. And in 2 years I have already seen the difference.

So when it is time for the NR to come out, at least there will be some game :) which there for a little bit was looking pretty bad.

Breshears
03-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Montana has a long way to go for their application process. Poor bonus point system, high fees, and poor trophy management in their limited draw areas. This state has always been very blessed with natural resources, and continues to be and the FWP doesn't seem to be interested in "enhancing" what we already have. It is truly one of the best OTC opportunities in the west for deer and elk. Along with some amazing trophy species hunts. But I agree, the FWP could do alot more for overall process and trophy management.

Jordan B.

HuskyMusky
03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Just had to rant a lil, thanks guys, I went to try to just build points for deer/elk, and couldn't. and this being just a points year for me/saving $$ spending $200 for a MT elk and deer point isn't going to happen.

It's nice to see some others agree.

as for trophy management vs. opportunity, I say do a checkerboard, have high tag areas, and low tag/quality areas, spread out through the state.

U.P. MAN
03-09-2013, 04:07 PM
What is the preference point application in July for Montana? I saw that somewhere in my readings. My first year applying in montana and it is very confusing.

Elkhunter96
03-09-2013, 06:21 PM
I also do not apply for MT because of how weird their system is for a non resident. Love the state, just mainly fish and focus big game hunting in other states.

buckbull
03-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah, its my understanding that you have to draw a general tag first prior to putting in for a limited entry. No thanks, it costs too much for me to make the trip to draw an over hunted general unit.

HuskyMusky
03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
They have a points system for the general tag, elk, mule deer, combo, all the same thing, but then they have points for special limited units for deer/elk, ie. you have to draw the general tag to draw a special limited entry mule deer or elk permit.

So they made it even more weird by having 2 sets of points for 1 animal!

I believe in july 1 year if not every year now they have a points only for the general tag, which is not the problem/issue to draw, the limited special entry deer/elk tags are what's tough and what you want to build points for, no one worries about building points for a general elk/deer tag, even with no points at all you would average drawing every year if not every other year, so do you really need 5pts to draw a general tag? NO. basically if you have 1 pref pt for the general combo you're guaranteed a general tag.

MT needs to separate all elk tags, make people apply for exactly the elk tag they want, and they should have a 2nd choice general elk tag option, ie... 1st choice limited entry elk permit, 2nd choice, general elk tag. Not rocket science MT!

Therefore guys who put in for the general as their 1st choice would probably have 100% draw. Guys who fail to draw their 1st choice/limited special area elk permit, could either get a refund, or try to draw a general elk tag as a 2nd choice, in which the odds wouldn't be 100% but you would still have a chance.

ie. your 2nd choice should be a refund, or a general elk tag, or even another special area although I'd suspect all special limited areas would be filled with 1st choice applicants.