PDA

View Full Version : Switched to Easton Injexion's this year Deep 6 ??????????

ontarget7
03-09-2013, 09:52 PM
I have zero experience in the D6 broadheads. So what is everybody using and how have they held up ?

rutfest
03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
I have not shot Deep 6 either but due to the "skinnyness" of the threading I would lean towards an all steel head. I know that Trophy Taker is coming out with a steel Ulmer Edge but it is 125 grain only. I shot the Solid S30V 125 last year and loved them, by far the sharpest broad head I have ever seen. Solid makes a Deep 6 head in 100 and 125.

ontarget7
03-15-2013, 06:01 AM
I have not shot Deep 6 either but due to the "skinnyness" of the threading I would lean towards an all steel head. I know that Trophy Taker is coming out with a steel Ulmer Edge but it is 125 grain only. I shot the Solid S30V 125 last year and loved them, by far the sharpest broad head I have ever seen. Solid makes a Deep 6 head in 100 and 125.

I am getting a slight wobble with my fieldpoints even and I think it is related to the smaller shank. Probably sticking to my original plan and staying with the FMJ's

rutfest
03-15-2013, 07:48 AM
I am shooting the Black Eagle Deep Impacts but with the Firenock outsert. I love them. They are time consuming to install but they have very tight tolerances and are very durable. Might be something to look at.

Maxhunter
03-15-2013, 08:06 AM
You might want to try the Helix heads. Tim's wife has been using them with her Injexion's and has had great results.

http://www.stricklandsarchery.com/Helix.aspx

ontarget7
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
I am shooting the Black Eagle Deep Impacts but with the Firenock outsert. I love them. They are time consuming to install but they have very tight tolerances and are very durable. Might be something to look at.

Thanks but not really an outsert fan at all.

Huntography
04-01-2013, 05:40 PM
My Helix heads are in the mail. Just read too many amazing things about them, especially since they are compatible with D6 arrows.

Can't wait to try em out.

Rudy

Sent from my camo iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Maxhunter
04-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Let us know the test results once you get them.

My Helix heads are in the mail. Just read too many amazing things about them, especially since they are compatible with D6 arrows.

Can't wait to try em out.

Rudy

Sent from my camo iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ontarget7
04-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Well with some further testing I am back to the Injexions and feel they are giving me the best overall tightest groups, that's what I am after. I will say I have had 6 now that have had some slight wobble after quite a bit of shooting. After further testing I find it coming from the D6 fieldpoints so I will need to carry some extras all the time. I feel it is do to the reduction in the shank size and might be prone to the weak spot. You probably would not notice it shooting a bag target etc. However, I have been shooting through hay bales with the black mates behind them and they have been penetrating them in a big way. I seem to not have an issue with the standard shanked fieldpoints but the D6 have not held up as well in these same conditions. I will continue to test and monitor this as time goes by.

Maxhunter
04-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the update! Maybe they need to build the from different stronger steel. Aircraft Alloy and stainless steel would be a good choice IMO. Mike from Magnus won't produce a D6 broadhead due to he stated the shank will be to weak.

DryFlyGuy
04-23-2013, 12:47 AM
I ordered some Injexions with right helical 4" feathers. Now I've got to figure out which broadheads I want to go with.

ontarget7
05-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Just another update with the Injexion arrows. I have found the problem with the slight wobble and the splintering at the shaft has been from field tips that were not quite machined all the way to the base of the shank of the fieldpoints. This created 2 problems, 1) you had to run the stone more than usual to get the fieldpoints to sit true and flat with the shaft. This caused to much of a taper in the inside diameter of the shaft and I feel it would loose some strength. This showed up with the slight splintering at the base of the shaft when you hit something firm. 2) Would be if you did not stone that sharper taper into the shaft the fieldpoints would not fit flush and with harder impacts it would cause the fieldpoints to bend at their shanks. Bottom line either way if you have fieldpoints that are not machined completely flat to the shank where it seats on your shaft you will probably have some issues.

I will try and take a couple pics to show what I am referring to.

Despite this issue I had with some faulty tips, I will be shooting them this year because they are performing very well. The specs are extremely tight in straightness and in spine tolerance. They are also much tougher than I originally thought. With the right tips that are machined correctly they have been holding up just fine with no wobble in the fieldpoints or splintering of the shaft.

ontarget7
05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Here is a pic. You can see the slight raised ring at the base of the fieldpoint on the one on the left side. The right side fieldpoint is completely flat at the base.

DryFlyGuy
05-12-2013, 11:29 PM
I am really impressed with my injexions so far. I put 4" feathers with a right helical and they are freaking darts. I hit a 3-d turkey at 92 yards with a typical Wyoming crosswind. These arrows just aren't wobbling whatsoever.

Maxhunter
05-13-2013, 07:11 AM
You guys are going to make me spend some more hard earned money. Thanks for all the info and updates!

ontarget7
06-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Have tried many combos this year and definitely sticking with the Injexions.

I have some A/C Injexions I picked up as well and will be testing the difference between the 2.

I am generally a fixed blade guy but will be using the Injexions with the Hypodermic Rages this year.

MileHigh
01-04-2014, 12:54 AM
A little late to chime in but I used the Ramcat 100g paired with my injextions last season on hogs and elk. Great penetration and amazing flight.

ontarget7
10-06-2014, 08:16 AM
I will be back to fixed blades for elk after the results from this year on the Hypodermic D6's. Shot two elk with them and they did the job, however both had no exit hole, which I am used to with fixed blades. This made the blood trail harder to track since the blood just pools up in the cavity. I'm not knocking the broadheads but just feel fixed blades have performed better for me in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk