PDA

View Full Version : Second Choice Deer Units

Murdy
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Preparing to put in my application and I was looking at a few second (and third) choice possiblities. Looks like they are few and far between. Top of my list are some of the general units (W, Y, E), but I noticed Area 22 is typically available. Is it that bad?? I know the state lists it as a problem access unit, but it looks like there is some accessible land there . Is it just that they issue so many tags there? Success % looks pretty good.

shootbrownelk
03-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Murdy, the success % looks pretty good because most of the deer are taken on private land. Yes, there is some public (BLM & State) land, but by and large it's over-run with hunters on the opening. Deer are pushed onto private land, and that's where they tend to stay. Unless you get permission to hunt one of these ranches ahead of time (call G&F for co-operating ranches) I wouldn't waste my time. I ran into some hunters from Minnesota last year at the Casper G&F office looking for a place to hunt, they ended-up going home without being able to get even an opportunity at a deer.

Murdy
03-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the input. We ended up putting in for M & Y as second and third choices -- of course, we can still change our applications. These are the back up plans, hopefully we don't need them.