PDA

View Full Version : Hunters and the NRA

Colorado Cowboy
03-14-2013, 07:24 AM
The recent explosion of anti gun bills here in Colorado and an article in the Denver Post got me thinking ....bad thing to do! The DP's article basically said that hunters don't support and belong to the NRA. I know lots of the participants on this forum are bow hunters and might not have any reason to be an NRA member, there are also lots of us gun hunters that are.

I have been a Endowment Life Member for over 50 years and support the NRA by attending all the local Friends of the NRA banquets. I am also a certified NRA Instructor and Range Safety Officer. The DP story really burned me when the author interviewed 2 hunters who were not NRA members and then made the assumption and statement that most hunters arn't NRA members and don't support their effort against gun legislation. I wrote him a reply and basically told him he was full of crap.

How many of you (us) are NRA members?

HeartElk1
03-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Life Member here.

shootbrownelk
03-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Life member here.

wapiti66
03-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Member. Denver Post is like too many other big newspapers....very liberal based in my opinion.

Murdy
03-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Member as well.

Fink
03-14-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm a member, not a life member, although I probably should be. I know quite a few hunters, both gun and bow, that are not NRA members.

From a strict numbers standpoint, I suppose he would be correct, as there are somewhere in the realm 70 million firearms, and about 45 million hunters in the US, and at best, the NRA has 4.5 million members. But..... While they are not members, I would venture to say that many 'support' the NRA

Never in Doubt
03-14-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm not a member, but some of my hunting buddies are. They pay their money, wear the bumper stickers, have the signs in their yards, and get all kinds of crap spam mail asking for more money.

cali_hornhunter
03-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Life Member here :)

Eberle
03-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Life Member & proud of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muleys 24/7
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
I was a year to year member for the last 13 years until recently this year I stepped it up to a lifer. My dad always told me as long as you own guns and believe in the second Amendment you should be a part of the NRA.

And for the comment about the NRA sending spam and mail asking for donations, all you have to do is simply call them once and tell them to stop sending it, it's that easy.

Kevin Root
03-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Member here.

Colorado Cowboy
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
And for the comment about the NRA sending spam and mail asking for donations, all you have to do is simply call them once and tell them to stop sending it, it's that easy.

You are correct, thats exactly what I did.

Matthew
03-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Upgraded to Life Member this year. Very glad I did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

buckbull
03-14-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm a member. And CC, even the stick and string folks should join the NRA. They do alot for hunters in general, not just gun hunters.

Shane13
03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Life member. The 2nd Amendment has nothing at all to do with hunting. It has everything to do with freedom and liberty. You don't have to be a gun hunter or even a hunter at all to be associated with the NRA. If you have any interest in freedom and liberty, then you should support the NRA and every other organization that is fighting to maintain it.

BKC
03-14-2013, 08:25 PM
I read that article. It's crap! It doesn't matter if we are hunters and belong to any and all pro gun groups, we will always be seen as just gun owners and compared to gang bangers and common street thugs. They want our guns, period!

dying to kill
03-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Im not a menber but for no reason really, id like to be one just havent ever done it. I think they stand for some great things.

Drhorsepower
03-14-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm a life member, I'm young so I don't really remember the effects of previous bans but I still believe if you are not a member you need to be. Now more than ever, it is scary some of the stuff they want to do! NRA needs all the help they can get before its too late. JOIN NOW! In fact, my two kids are members as well, made them life members last month. It's THAT important.

Fink
03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm a life member, I'm young so I don't really remember the effects of previous bans but I still believe if you are not a member you need to be. Now more than ever, it is scary some of the stuff they want to do! NRA needs all the help they can get before its too late. JOIN NOW! In fact, my two kids are members as well, made them life members last month. It's THAT important.

Where's the 'like' button at!!!

wapiti66
03-14-2013, 10:27 PM
One question to those that do not support the NRA...who do you think is doing a better job of fighting for the 2nd ammendment on a federal, state, and local level than the NRA? I have a hard time believing there are any gun owners that do not believe this is a very important issue to be supporting currently, we are "under attack."

AKaviator
03-15-2013, 02:18 AM
Endowment life member here and bought my son a life membership back when Nancy Pelosi became the Speaker of the house!

shootbrownelk
03-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Im not a menber but for no reason really, id like to be one just havent ever done it. I think they stand for some great things.

dying to kill, do it now! ASAP. And tell all your friends to join, if not for the efforts of the NRA we wouldn't have the rights we enjoy now.

xtreme
03-15-2013, 12:54 PM
member and ditto what Shane13 said

Musket Man
03-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Im an NRA member. Does any of you belong to the National Association for Gun Rights? I have been thinking about joining but dont know much about them. Given the current situation we need to do all we can to defend our 2nd amendment rights and support the organizations that are fighting for our gun ownership rights.

dito
03-18-2013, 01:45 PM
NRA just isn't principled enough for me. I'm a member of RMGO and GOA. NRA is definitely the largest but I think they waiver sometimes and endorse sub par politicians.

Colorado Cowboy
03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
NRA just isn't principled enough for me. I'm a member of RMGO and GOA. NRA is definitely the largest but I think they waiver sometimes and endorse sub par politicians.

I am not a big supporter of RMGO based on some prior dealings I had with them several years ago. I don't agree 100% with anything I belong to, but the NRA is pretty close.

dito
03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I am not a big supporter of RMGO based on some prior dealings I had with them several years ago. I don't agree 100% with anything I belong to, but the NRA is pretty close.

What did they do? I just signed up because they were more local level.

HuskyMusky
03-20-2013, 03:49 PM
About a year ago I heard the stat that something like only 3% of gun owners belong to the NRA.

JMSZ
03-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Similar to you...I recently joined GOA. I had been on the fence for years, I'm just leery about sending money to any organization and the bigger they are, the more leery I get.

That said, after the recent happenings, I decided to join, I was already leaning towards GOA and my decision was cemented when I saw Larry Pratt on Piers Morgan's show.

Wayne LaPierre is just too much of a speech and soundbite guy, too politician-like and I think he'd let the likes of Piers Morgan walk all over him.

IMO, that's why we have a lot of the problems that we do. I have a lot of respect for the organization and what it does, but he's the face of it and he doesn't give me a warm fuzzy that he's going to convince anybody of anything.

Colorado Cowboy
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Wayne LaPierre is just too much of a speech and soundbite guy, too politician-like and I think he'd let the likes of Piers Morgan walk all over him.

IMO, that's why we have a lot of the problems that we do. I have a lot of respect for the organization and what it does, but he's the face of it and he doesn't give me a warm fuzzy that he's going to convince anybody of anything.

I think you are wrong. No gun rights organization has the members and the clout of the NRA... PERIOD! Most politicians do not want to get an F grade on voting on gun issues from the NRA. IMHO all the other NATIONAL gun rights groups are just pretenders. I want to donate my $$$ where it does the most good and that definately is the NRA.

Colorado Cowboy
03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
About a year ago I heard the stat that something like only 3% of gun owners belong to the NRA.

I don't know how anyone can come up with a number like this. No one knows how many guns and gun owners there are. If they say they do, they are just guessing!

Matthew
03-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Similar to you...I recently joined GOA. I had been on the fence for years, I'm just leery about sending money to any organization and the bigger they are, the more leery I get.

Politicians understand two things: money and membership numbers. That's where NRA has the edge overall the other groups.