PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer antlers

Philandkara
03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
I have heard that if you see a 3x3 muley that it is a genetic defect and should be "thinned out" of the herd. Last year we saw a group that had 2, 3x3's that looked the same and just considered them to be immature. Does anyone know the answer to this question? The same bunch had a nice 4x4 that my wife shot if that makes any difference.

Ikeepitcold
03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Not sure if I would go with a defect but I would say that if a 3x3 is 3-4 years old he will always be a 3x3. But I've seen some monster 3x3's before. I would bet that if he has good mass at that age and at or passed his ears for width he could turn out to be a decent buck at 5-6 years old. All in what you think is a shooter or not I guess.

packmule
03-21-2013, 06:20 PM
you never really know what a deer will do. Sometimes it can be genetics, sometimes it can be a nutritional issue.... and rarely will you know what their true genetics are because of the nutritional limitations of their habitat.

Philandkara
03-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the input. These were thin horned an not in the shooter class yet. Hope to see them this year and check the progress.

packmule
03-21-2013, 08:40 PM
If they're young a lot of their nutrition is going to skeletal development...once that finishes up their antlers can make some big jumps.

Doe Nob
03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
I think they are bad ass looking, love a nice big pitchfork buck. They dont' score well but who cares, a long tined 30 inch 3x3 is just a cool looking deer.