PDA

View Full Version : Hunting SE Montana this fall.

Mr Drysdale
03-24-2013, 08:58 PM
My son has a friend who owns some property in the Ekalaka area and has invited us to hunt this fall. We have applied for our license and are very hopeful. We will be coming the first or second week in November. Would like to ask which week is usually better as far as the Whitetail rut goes? Also any information about the area or advice. We are not trophy hunters but just enjoy the outdoors. This will be our first out of state trip and are looking forward to it. We are from Mississippi. I am 55 and my son is 32. My son's friend has a place to stay so we will only be out fuel, license fee and food. Truly looking forward to seeing Big Sky Country and making new friends. Any response appreciated.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-24-2013, 09:44 PM
I think you will genuinely have a great time. For the rut, later is better.

As I side note, don't count out a real trophy. The biggest live whitetail I have ever seen was in a timbered draw outside Ekalaka. I watched it bound safely away while I was holding my Remington 870, as I was hunting turkeys at the time.

Good luck!

Hoot
03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I agree with bitterroot bulls, later is better. I know the area well. With the way the moon phase is this year the week of thanksgiving is going to be the best. If that doesn't work for you, out of the first two weeks of November I would take the first week. Don't limit yourself to your friends property there is a lot of block management around.

Mr Drysdale
03-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the replies Bitterroot Bulls and Hoot. We would not rule out taking a nice Mule Deer. Hoot you and Bitterroot Bulls both said later was better but you said if you had to choose between the first and second week in November, you would choose the first week. Did I miss something or are you looking at moon phase? Again thanks for the input.

Hoot
03-26-2013, 07:54 PM
when I said the first week , I ment the first full week. I think that would be the third to the sixth The second full week you would be leading up to the full moon peaking on Thursday. Don't get me wrong I don't live by the moon!! But I do know from spending countless hours in a eastern deer stands during full moon their is less deer activity. Again I have one week a year out there and I will be there the week of thanksgiving We will be coming off that full moon and i know those mulies we be ruttin hard. When your time is limited stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

laker
03-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Im from that area and the rut doesnt really start kicking in till the second and third weekend of november.

Mr Drysdale
03-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the responses Hoot and laker. We are still trying to determine which week we are coming.

homegrown
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
As a side note I would have some good wind blocking clothing. I just got done with a six week stint in Baker MT for work and the wind can be miserable at times, well most the time actually.

Mr Drysdale
04-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the advice. It will be an adjustment from MS to MT. I think the coldest night we had all winter was 24*. In high hopes of being drawn. If we are we will need all the advice we can get.

mconway951
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I hunted Ekalaka last fall we got there election day and hunted 6 days. Rut was just barely starting if i go back again this fall we will go a few weeks later. When we got there it was in the 50s and by the last day it was in the teens below wind chill and ambient temp was right around 0 with lots of snow.

We saw lots of deer and some real nice whitetails on the Custer State forest land and so try there as well we didnt see anybody up in the national forest land when we were there. Bring your shot gun if you tag out early there is some great upland bird shooting out on the BLM and Block management land or turkey hunt in the forest with shotgun or rifle i beleive is legal on turkeys in the fall also.

Good luck

Mr Drysdale
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the response mconway951. Good information. We can't come any later than the second week. Still must get drawn. Should know in a week or two. So excited about the trip with my son.

Hoot
04-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Its getting close!! (The draw)!!!

Mr Drysdale
04-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Yes it is Hoot. Excited!

Mr Drysdale
04-23-2013, 09:42 PM
We got drawn! The planning begins. So excited!

Hoot
04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Look out Montana,here we come again!!!

BossBrott
04-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Congrats guys!

BKC
04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
I just made two trips to Baker MT in the last week. There is not a shortage of deer from Alzada to Baker. I saw a ton of does so I would guess that there will be plenty of bucks come the rut. Good Luck

Bitterroot Bulls
04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Easy BKC!

This is the internet.

I am pretty sure there are hardly any deer, except maybe some spindly horned 3 points in that area! ;)

Congrats, Mr. D. and Hoot. You're going to have a great time.

Mr Drysdale
04-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks BB and congrats Hoot. Trying to nail down which week fits our schedules better. Already started a list of equipment and clothing. Cabela's may be the big winner in this deal!

larrylur
04-28-2013, 07:18 PM
I got a deer tag so.. me and a couple friends will be down in the SE corner later this year as well. Money was short last year so we did not apply but this year is a different story. This will be my second hunt in this area and I'm hoping we'll be as successful as the first.

Mr Drysdale
04-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Larrylur
I hope you and your friends have a successful hunt. I understand the "short money" statement. I couldn't do this every year but look forward to this year's hunt. We are hunting in the Ekalaka area. Good Luck!

Mr Drysdale
10-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Two weeks and counting! The packing has already begun. I think I look at the Ekalaka weather more than I do the local weather. Will be in a hardwood flat in NE Mississippi in the morning with 32 degree temps, bow in hand. Any reports from the Carter County area appreciated. Good Luck to all and be safe!

Anaconda Pintler
01-21-2014, 05:39 AM
well how did it turn out?

Mr Drysdale
01-23-2014, 09:26 PM
well how did it turn out?

See "Loved my Montana hunt" thread.

hoshour
01-26-2014, 02:26 PM
For blocking the wind, take a look at the ultralight wind shirts that you can use as one of your midlayers. Blocking the wind does wonders for keeping you warm, and out West wind is almost always an issue.

Mont Bell's Tachyon jacket weighs 1.6 oz for a medium and a little more for larger sizes. It apparently does a great job blocking wind. The Patagonia Houdini is really popular too. I'll be buying one of those two this year.