PDA

View Full Version : Lookinig for ideas.

Work2hunt
03-27-2013, 05:58 AM
Well my fall hunt plans are looking like a bust. Originally we thought we would apply for a Colorado high country mule deer hunt....but with the need for the extended vacation time of that hunt we decided to wait. Then we thought we would put in for the Colordao muzzleloader elk hunt and now it looks like those plans have fallen through due to another hunting partner.

This late into the application season anyone got ideas on a decent DIY hunt that I could do without burning my Colorado elk or deer points. I'm open to other states, but so far my Western hunt experience is with Colorado.

Drhorsepower
03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Get a new hunting partner or go without him.

That is one reason I fly solo, can't find a good partner.

xtreme
03-27-2013, 09:04 AM
You might draw a muzzleload deer in unit 78 Co. Same unit 4th season elk rifle might be worth a look. Unit 80 1st rifle for elk might work

Old Hunter
03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
If you want to keep your points. You have two choices. You need to get your 2nd pick, or you need to take an OTC tag. 2nd choice bull tag is pretty hard in most units, but it's 100% for an OTC tag. Just take a point as 1st pick, and OTC for a 2nd pick. The other option is to take a cow tag as a 2nd pick, and a point as 1st pick.

As for deer? 2nd picks are hard to get normally. I have a hard enough time getting deer as a 1st pick in my units. Find a unit that gives you the best odds for a 2nd pick.

Take a point for deer, and hunt for elk. It should be enough if you hunt alone.

Muleys 24/7
03-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Get a new hunting partner or go without him.

That is one reason I fly solo, can't find a good partner.

There's a couple buddy's I hunt with every now and then, but I find myself hunting alone most of the time.... which is not a big deal to me.

AKaviator
03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Come on up to Alaska and do a short fly-in trip for Caribou. Plenty of caribou around and the hunt isn't hard to plan. The last couple weeks of August are best.

canvsbk
03-27-2013, 07:03 PM
The partner deal can be tough. It seems like the guys I go with tend to look at different hunts as a one time thing. Hunted deer with the same guy for 25 years but he lost his job.....
Good luck in your search.

Work2hunt
03-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Come on up to Alaska and do a short fly-in trip for Caribou. Plenty of caribou around and the hunt isn't hard to plan. The last couple weeks of August are best.

I would love to hunt Alaska. It is definitely on my short list of hunts. I really need to start looking into the specifics. So I can start planning for a trip or two to Alaska. For a NR what does a hunt like that cost?

AKaviator
03-27-2013, 09:44 PM
W2H,

I'll send ya a p.m.

spark
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I agree OTC elk would be your best bet.

buckbull
04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah, its hard to find a good hunting partner especially when your a non-resident. My current partner is about 15 years older than me but is very dependable and has the money to make the trip when we go. I have other friends that hunt but many don't have the money or time to make the trip. Others I simply can't trust for fear of backing out at the last minute. Lately I've been buying points for my sister and her husband. When we have enough points I'll just pay for our trip.