PDA

View Full Version : What do you do after your antelope is down?

Airborne1
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Last year my dad and I killed 4 antelope. The first 2 antelope we butchered in the field without field dressing them and received a $400 fine for not retrieving the inner tenderloins when WGFD showed up at our camp later in the day!! Needless to say the other 2 antelope we killed the following morning were field dressed, brought back to camp, hung from a tree and butchered the old fashion way!! We noticed that the antelope that were butchered without field dressing tasted fantastic while the 2 we field dressed and brought back to camp weren't quite as delicious but still quite tasty. Wondered how others handled thier antelope after harvesting?

Wags
03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
if your careful, you can remove the tenderloin without a complete field dressing. Takes a little practice but you can get to them after you remove the backstraps. Theres a video somewhere ive seen that shows how to do this. Ive been doing it the last couple years and man is it nice not have to deal with a gut pile!

Ill try to find that video for you.

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
I haven't gutted a animal in years! Why? We pack our animals out on our backs. We quarter, debone, and pack out. The small little loins are not required to remove in Nv.

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
if your careful, you can remove the tenderloin without a complete field dressing. Takes a little practice but you can get to them after you remove the backstraps. Theres a video somewhere ive seen that shows how to do this. Ive been doing it the last couple years and man is it nice not have to deal with a gut pile!

Ill try to find that video for you.

I've seen this before too but haven't tried it.

Wags
03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNVZXbbIuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXuOq4jz34A

hope this helps!

Wags
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
I haven't gutted a animal in years! Why? We pack our animals out on our backs. We quarter, debone, and pack out. The small little loins are not required to remove in Nv.

Regardless of regs. The tenderloin is my absolute favorite piece of meat, so there's no way im leaving without it!

buckbull
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Ouch! Thats not my definition of wanton waste but I guess my definition isn't worth squat.

hardstalk
03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Even gutless the loins are accessible. One of the best cuts on em.

Umpqua Hunter
03-28-2013, 10:22 AM
I immediately gutless field dress (remove quarters and backstraps), then carefully cut a small slit in the upper part of the stomach near the backbone and retrieve the tenderloins. I then put each quarter in a separate 45 gallon garbage bag, press out the air and tie it off. I put the backstraps in a separate one. Then SUBMERGE everything in ice. Make sure you keep the ice chest well drained and restocked with ice. Usually when I have been hunting, it is hot, and I want to get the temperature of the meat down quickly. I can carry this about 5 days with no problems before cutting the meat.

You may hear people say "never put meat in plastic bags". That is true if it is not chilled, because you retain heat AND moisture, which a terrible combination. You will notice almost all meat in the big markets comes to the markets in large pieces chilled and in plastic bags. Very few markets actually cut from the carcass any longer.

Doe Nob
03-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Proof of sex question - My buddy and I are going hunting antelope for a week and could possible have 3 bucks and 4 does from 3 different states in the back of the truck each if we both tag out. Can we just save the heads from all the animals and is that sufficient proof or do we need to have something attached to the quarters?

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Heads are not proof enough. You will need some special parts left attached to the quarters

Umpqua Hunter
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Proof of sex question - My buddy and I are going hunting antelope for a week and could possible have 3 bucks and 4 does from 3 different states in the back of the truck each if we both tag out. Can we just save the heads from all the animals and is that sufficient proof or do we need to have something attached to the quarters?

That depends on the regulations of the particular state. Usually you have to leave proof of sex attached a quarter. We normally take our animals to a meat processor between hunts and have them cut and wrapped and carry them on dry ice as we move state to state.

Airborne1
03-28-2013, 12:05 PM
That depends on the regulations of the particular state. Usually you have to leave proof of sex attached a quarter. We normally take our animals to a meat processor between hunts and have them cut and wrapped and carry them on dry ice as we move state to state.

The Wyoming game warden told us all that was required from a doe antelope was a piece of the udder showing at least 1 teet.

Airborne1
03-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks Wags, the video is a huge help!!

ssliger
03-28-2013, 12:14 PM
I watched a similar video 2 years ago. Every animal since has been gutless. It is quite simple to get the tenderloins out. Getting the meat cooled is the most important thing.

Airborne1
03-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Ouch! Thats not my definition of wanton waste but I guess my definition isn't worth squat.

The definition of edible portions lists the inner tenderloin as well as the other obvious cuts of meat. It was my own fault for not reading the definition of "Edible Portions". The game warden was very professional and polite, just my own screw up!!

trkytrack2
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM

I wouldn't rely on anyone's word of mouth. I would, for sure, have a copy of each states regulations and read them thoroughly. It will tell in black and white what you need in each state for evidence of sex. The game warden excuse could cost you some big bucks ($$$$).

HiMtnHnter
03-30-2013, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't rely on anyone's word of mouth. I would, for sure, have a copy of each states regulations and read them thoroughly. It will tell in black and white what you need in each state for evidence of sex. The game warden excuse could cost you some big bucks ($$$$).

It's relatively easy to get the inside loins doing the gutless method after a little practice. It should be the very last thing you do. I had a Wyoming game warden show up at just the right time and watch me do it a few years ago. He had never seen it done and said that I had taken all the required meat off of the animal. . .

hardstalk
03-30-2013, 09:15 AM
This is the best vid I have seen on the subject. Loins with ease.

http://vimeo.com/m/27839614

WapitiBob
03-30-2013, 11:13 AM
I saw that video once last year and that was one time too many. He just as well used a hatchet.

Loins are right at the last full rib. Just cut the membrane between the gut sack and short ribs, back towards the ham, reach in and snip them out.

BKC
03-30-2013, 11:50 AM
airborne, I have never understood why people hang their game to age it. I don't think it makes it taste any better. If tou hang it, the outide of the meat dries out and then you just have to cut it off and wate good meat in the process. Like UH said, get it cooled down as soon as possible and keep it out of standing water in your cooler. I have found the best way to get antelope to taste good, is to not chase it all over the county before you shoot it. I could never tell you what latic acid taste like but I know if you shoot one that has been running they taste a little different, I've heard it is latic acid. Don't know if that is true or not.

Kevin W
03-30-2013, 10:02 PM
I saw that video once last year and that was one time too many. He just as well used a hatchet.

Loins are right at the last full rib. Just cut the membrane between the gut sack and short ribs, back towards the ham, reach in and snip them out.

Just watched it for the first time, I liked it. Not sure how anyone could do it much cleaner; but then again I like Fred as a hunting show host.

hardstalk
03-30-2013, 10:18 PM
+1 seems like a solid guy. And doing it with a leatherman is icing on the cake to me.

MaxPower
05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
This is the best demonstration video on gutless field dressing I've seen. The game wardens also explain what's required to take and proof of sex.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtCMjlcedI

Colorado Cowboy
05-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Most states license the meat processers and they are responsible for verifying sex to correct tag before they process the animal. Also if you have an either sex tag (like most of the "buck" tags are in Wy.), you don't have to leave any verification of sex on the meat...at least in Wyoming. Your tag is good for any antelope.

I also watched the WG&F video. It was pretty good. The only problem I have is using the gutless method wastes some meat i usually use. I normally take all the red meat off the ribs, brisket and neck which is left in the video. I use this to grind up for use in my bratwurst. You will actually waste quite a bit on deer and more on elk. I really like to hang the animal, skin & quarter. I even bought a steel device that fits in my trailer hitch receiver and has a winch, cable & pullies to hoist the animal up for skinning no matter where you are...no trees needed.

sjsmallfield
05-18-2013, 06:37 PM
One thing that I didn't hear was dealing with bloodshot meat in the field. On my dad's antelope he got a few years ago in WY, the buck was shot through both shoulders. Most of the meat on those shoulders was not any good. Are you allowed to remove that bloodshot meat and leave it in the field or do you have to take that meat out with you. This is somthing that I will double check with WG&F before our next trip out to WY but was curious if any of you guys had the answer.

HiMtnHnter
05-19-2013, 07:17 AM
No problem taking the neck meat when doing the gutless method, and the ribs usually aren't a problem. And, it's far easier to slip the guts out after the quarters are off if you really want to get the rib racks, heart, liver, etc . . . . Who wants to hold up or tie off on elk leg while somebody wrestles the guts out? In reference to bloodshot meat, unless you unloaded on the the thing with an AR, cutting out the bloodshot should not be a problem. It's pretty well-know that bloodshot meat is no good and that it's a byproduct of hunting. If you show up without the front quarters, though, you'll have some splaining to do!

trkytrack2
05-19-2013, 04:18 PM
You would be better off in reading the regulations of each state you tag out in than listening to any advice on here.

Colorado Cowboy
05-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Yep...thats a fact. Some states want you to tag the carcass, others the head and there are lots of differences on how they want sex identified. Check each state's regs!!

packer58
05-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Yep...thats a fact. Some states want you to tag the carcass, others the head and there are lots of differences on how they want sex identified. Check each state's regs!!

Solid advice right there............