PDA

View Full Version : Deer OTC archery

Calbuck
03-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Are these tags good for ALL OTC units or just one particular zone?

Drhorsepower
03-29-2013, 06:50 PM
All units that offer OTC

Calbuck
03-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks that's what I figured..didn't draw elk, so may as well use the license!
Thought about going down there for deer and maybe try to call some totes too.

Calbuck
03-29-2013, 08:10 PM
That would be Yotes..:)

Drhorsepower
03-29-2013, 08:16 PM
It's a fun time! Be careful, it's addicting though.

Calbuck
03-29-2013, 08:45 PM
I already got it..bad!!

Drhorsepower
03-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Not Arizona bad! There's a difference. I'm goin to go down there every year now, great people, awesome opportunity for bow hunters. Come on 2014!

Calbuck
04-21-2013, 06:10 PM
I was considering a late bow hunt OTC...I can't decide between December or January hunts. Any advantage to one month over the other? Do those deer down there rut in both months? Are these spot and stalk deals or sitting waterholes? I'm looking for as big a buck as I can find, but not necessarily trophy hunting. I've read where the better bucks come out of the desert areas, but more deer in the mid elevation zones. I may be starting an annual tradition here too, if my first hunt down there is a fun one!

BOHNTR
04-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Depends on what area you're hunting in.....most of your mule deer will be in the low elevation on the desert floors in the mesquite flats. Coues deer prefer the higher elevations.

Calbuck
04-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks Bohntr. I'm thinking those January hunts would be a good way to break up my winters. I haven't settled on a specific area yet. It'll be tough the first year or two as I've never hunted AZ, so I'm planning on doing my research, picking an area and returning to that area every year. Should know it well in a couple years.

cali_hornhunter
04-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Not Arizona bad! There's a difference. I'm goin to go down there every year now, great people, awesome opportunity for bow hunters. Come on 2014!

Very addicting!!! Didn't go this year but 2014 AZ here I come

Calbuck
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Not to cherry pick..do you guys think more highly of certain units over others? All I have to go by is AZ Fish and Game website and forum reads..I'd be interested in areas you could glass or maybe pinyon/juniper..

In God We Trust
04-21-2013, 10:26 PM
January is a better hunt because of the rut. Some Arizona guys can probably give you more info. I grew up near Tuscon and if I remember correctly the first 2 weeks in January are the best in the southern desert areas. I know some of the areas along the border are great hunts and most people won't hunt them because of the illegal alien problem. If you do decide to hunt along the border make sure you carry a firearm as well.

Drhorsepower
04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I was considering a late bow hunt OTC...I can't decide between December or January hunts. Any advantage to one month over the other? Do those deer down there rut in both months? Are these spot and stalk deals or sitting waterholes? I'm looking for as big a buck as I can find, but not necessarily trophy hunting. I've read where the better bucks come out of the desert areas, but more deer in the mid elevation zones. I may be starting an annual tradition here too, if my first hunt down there is a fun one!

Cal buck, it will mostly be spot and stalk and if you are after mule deer, I would lower your standards as they are not like the deer we have up here, quality or quantity however there are those bruisers that get killed there every year. Coues hang out in higher elevations or thicker river bottoms while mule deer generally stay below 7k feet. It is a very tough hunt and start practicing shooting longer shots than you are used to.

As far as unit, you just need to do your homework and commit to a specific unit, area or group of units, the longer you spend down there the higher chances you have of filling your tag, also buy a javelina tag if you can!

tommyp
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Anybody do the August hunt? I was thinking about giving it a go, if I don't pull my Nevada archery deer tag.

Drhorsepower
04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Anybody do the August hunt? I was thinking about giving it a go, if I don't pull my Nevada archery deer tag.

That is on my list for coues deer, it is cooler up there!

tommyp
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
it's nice to get to some cooler temps in August, down here in Texas August is the pitts!

sjsmallfield
04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
One thing that was pointed out to me by a guy that hunts AZ every year he can was to go in January the first year. Reason being, you can go back the same year in August or December if you don't fill your tag in January.

tommyp
04-22-2013, 06:46 PM
One thing that was pointed out to me by a guy that hunts AZ every year he can was to go in January the first year. Reason being, you can go back the same year in August or December if you don't fill your tag in January.

That is correct, that is one reason I am considering it as a back , if I do not pull any other tags, I could got for a couple of weeks in late August and a couplet of weeks at the end of the year, if I did not stick one in August.

goinhuntn
04-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Just an fyi be sure the unit your hunting in august is open in december. Not all units are open in december so do your homework. The january hunt is fun & if you put in for javelina you can hunt them with otc deer tag. Its pretty easy to draw archery javelina & there is always left over tags. Also bring a shotgun in january as quail season is open unitil february.

BOHNTR
01-14-2014, 03:10 PM

Exactly what I was fortunate to do this year. After not filling my 2013 tag in January, I ended up arrowing my 2013 deer on December 27th......a 25" wide 3x4 at 45 yards:

Five days later (January 1st-2014), I was lucky enough to have this buck push a doe by me at 25 yards after I stalked in close to his herd:

I ended my hunt with this javelina on January 5th, completing the AZ hat trick:

Fink
01-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Nice, BOHNTR! That's getting some mileage out of your licenses!

Musket Man
01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Not many can say they filled their tags for 2 years on the same hunt!

sjsmallfield
01-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Congrats BOHNTR!

az.mountain runner
01-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Look at areas south of Tucson too Yuma some pretty big muleys in that area, most areas are good hunting from Dec.threw January, find a camping spot semi close to small populated areas and make sure to put sheriff's number and border patrol numbers in your phone and don't be afraid to use them if your Leary, wish I could hunt that area more after Christmas I usually don't have the time or money to go that far south, I'm in the east Phoenix area.

wapiti66
01-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Are Javelina good to eat? Congrats on your hunt, that's quite an achievement.

az.mountain runner
01-23-2014, 08:32 PM
I generally turn mine into some kind of sausage, pretty good that way.

MrCreepy
01-29-2014, 04:09 PM
I would love to take advantage of these OTC opportunities! I've been thinking about Unit 27, anyone have experience with this unit?

MrCreepy
01-29-2014, 04:10 PM
BOHNTR,

Wow! What an accomplishment. Nice trophy's as well.

azelk6x6
01-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Why can't I see the pics. What unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadH
02-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Great job man! That is so on my bucket list. My cousin lives in Sedona, and I need to get down that way and see her. Maybe I should keep on going south and give it a try!

BOHNTR
02-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks, folks.......it was a great hunt. Forgot to post the best photo of all. My hunting partner's daughter (Erin) with her first javelina. She was pretty darn happy. You notice that Broncos beanie? :)

win264
02-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Awesome hunt! Congrats! I've been looking to do AZ in January, I've been going to NM and have enjoyed it but AZ is looking pretty good right now!

ArmyArcher
03-14-2014, 10:51 PM
I moved out here to Tucson last June and took my first Coues in the Superstition Wilderness on the last morning of our hunt (Dec 31). Packed in with two buddies that flew out for a five day hunt. Absolutely beautiful country.

We were in deer every day at least two dozen betw/the three of us and at least six of those bucks each day. Very well could have been repeat sightings from day to day but point is lots of action. Rut was going pretty hard. One evening I watched a nice buck breed a doe at 80 yards. Light was limited and my practice for the year didn't go beyond 60 so didn't want to take the chance.

Largest buck we saw was with three does and was at least in the 120 range.

Great thing about this hunt was we didn't come across another hunter in five days. Exchanged hellos with a hiker coming out as we were going in and three other hikers surveying the trails.

My buddies and I are headed to CO for an OTC elk hunt this year so when I head back to the Super, will be solo. Anyone planning an AZ hunt is welcome to join me. Would likely be last week in Dec after Xmas.

Some folks already mentioned it but pay attention if your hunt extends into January. Unlike last year, your license will be good for a year from date of purchase. However, your tag will expire on 31 Dec, so you'll need to get a new tag for January which will be good throughout the remainder of the year. For a NR, the fees can add up.

ArmyArcher
03-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Forgot to mention that if you're serious about an AZ hunt, there's a coueswhitetail.com forum that has plenty of folks willing to assist others.

May have gotten the title wrong but if you google it, you'll find it.

Bkypreos
05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Listen to him, he knows his stuff,BOHNTR I just read your article in Western hunter! You inspired me, by putting in the work and scouting the not so known areas OTC hunts will pay off, We got some big boys out there just is not gonna be a pick and shoot type hunt. Thanks for the info in that article btw, You can put them down. Do the home work, put some boots on the ground and hours behind the optics