PDA

View Full Version : Fitness training updates!

Doe Nob
03-31-2013, 02:28 PM
I thought it would be good to get another thread going with what everyone is doing, what is working great, what you are struggling with, etc.

I just did 71 min 18 sec, 48.8 lb pack, double stairs, 1100 vertical ft ascent descent, 8.5 story stairwell. I need to cut 11 min off that, but I still have a month before chasing mountain turkeys. I live in a flat swamp, so hill/stair training is difficult to find.

The biggest thing for my leg strength has been a tip one of the members here gave out last year. Walking lunges really get your legs in the better shape than any other exercise. I've been doing 3 sets of 40 after my 3 mile runs a couple times a week for a month now and man, my legs are stronger than they have ever been, don't seem to have any quit in them. Still need to crush my cardio though, that's just more interval training, getting better, but my lungs are definitely my weakest link.

How's your spring fitness going?

Old Hunter
03-31-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm doing what I always do. I hiked the mountains today for 4-5 miles 8500-9500ft. Later in the year i'll add some weight to a backpack.

When the snow melts i'll go to higher altitudes.

packmule
03-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Insanity and will go start running the 3 mile loop at the park when my wife finally spits out this child.

Fink
03-31-2013, 05:58 PM
I've been training at being fat and lazy.

First turkey hunt for me is this thursday. During turkey season, I'll just run a mile or two a day, after the season is over, I'll start training for 'elk shape'

Ikeepitcold
03-31-2013, 09:02 PM
I've been training at being fat and lazy.

First turkey hunt for me is this thursday. During turkey season, I'll just run a mile or two a day, after the season is over, I'll start training for 'elk shape'

Haha ya me too! I ain't gonna lie I'm pretty good at it too! Just back from a little vaca and the wife and I will be starting the Insanity tomorrow! Booooooooo but its time.

Backcountry Stalker
04-01-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm doing a little gym routine atm....I'm a member of traintohunt.com so I've been doing a couple of their workouts. Haven't got all the way motivated to "go hard" just yet lol

jzfrench
04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Started P90X in January and am on week 10. I'm planning to keep it going through the year even beyond hunting season. Will add some running and hiking with a weighted pack as we get closer to September.

BigSurArcher
04-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm in month 12 of hitting the gym, track, or bike 5-6 days/week just about every week. Last year at this time I think I was about 158 14% BF, with a 220 max HR. Today I'm at 174, single digit BF, and I can get my HR up to 228 sustained for about 4 minutes. It's crazy what dedication and motivation can achieve. A year is a long time, but a gain of 16 lbs while having less fat feels really good. Most of my training now is geared toward balance, flexibility, and core/leg strength. One-legged squats, box jumps, legs out pull ups, wind sprints, etc. The biggest factor by far has been what I eat. If I eat bad, it doesn't matter what I do... little to no results. Low carb, high protein, clean calories... great results. I sleep better than ever, and am happier than ever. Can't wait for draw results to come out! Keep up the strong work everyone. Don't forget to set short and long-term goals for extra motivation and satisfaction.

Colorado Cowboy
04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Still doing the gym 3 times a week (with my wife...) and now that the weather has warmed up a bit, started my walking routine. I try and walk a 4 mile route up and down hills here at home. I have also changed my gym workout to include a lot of leg strength excersizes. Weight did ok over the winter...gained about 3#. Goal is to get between 15 & 20 off this year before hunting season. Lost 50# over the last 3 years. Wish I could still run, but Doc says I shouldn't, because of my replacement knee.

Last fall I had my first ever stress/treadmill test. My Doc says I am in great shape....."for an old fart".

tim
04-05-2013, 01:15 PM
the insanity dvd's work

04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
I have been hammering at the gym everyday before work (6 days a week). Free weights and shooting at home at night. Usual day is up at 4:30am. In the gym at 6:30am. Run 3 miles, stationary bike 15 min. Hit some weights and off to work. Get home at 6:00pm. Dinner. Arms and upper body with the free weights and then shoot for 30-45min. In bed at 11pm.

I changed my diet fair bit and I have managed to drop 35lbs since Christmas and I now do my 3 mile runs in about 25min. I want to be doing a 6 mile run with a 30lb pack on in under 60min by the time I hit the high country in July. I would love to get out and do some longer runs and train outside but I got 6 inches of snow last week and it was -23C (-10F) Monday morning. Got to love spring time in Alberta!

In God We Trust
04-12-2013, 08:28 AM
I work out at the gym year round. I started running again, I have a 5K and 10K coming up in the next month and a half. I am also going to do the Tough Mudder race here in Colorado in June. Then it will be time fro backpacking trips into my hunting areas. The early seasons will be here before we know it!

Old Hunter
04-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Yeah, only 5 months to go. :(

HuskyMusky
04-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Ran an 8k race ;) under an hour, which is about 5 miles, which was a semi miracle in my eyes.

Mostly focused on running/endurance. Eating well and losing weight.

down 13lbs'ish from 200lbs in about 2 months? mostly from just avoiding wheat in all forms. Once I crank up the running I hope to shave even more lbs, once I'm under 180 it'll all be downhill from there I think! My high was about 205/206lbs about a year ago.

Old Hunter
04-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Give up wheat??

How can I make my sammiches?

olderguy
04-14-2013, 08:25 AM
It would be nice to be young again, being a flat lander, I go west 3 to 4 weeks early to camp and hike at over 9000 ft. I try to work out 3 or 4 days a week and walk every day. I can feel my age more every year but I will keep my hunting up as long as I am able.

Old Hunter
04-14-2013, 09:19 AM
How old are you?

olderguy
04-14-2013, 01:35 PM
How old are you?

I am 71, will be 72 by next hunting season. I have been on 3 elk hunts, 2 guided and one on my own. I have yet to fire a shot. My daughter and I are going in September, will be her first. That will be in Wy., I have another booked in N.M. I may hunt Co. with a friend, not sure yet.

Old Hunter
04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
You qualify for older guy. I'm one year behind you.

Getting old sucks eh?

olderguy
04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
You qualify for older guy. I'm one year behind you.

Getting old sucks eh?

Thats for sure, we are lucky we can even think about this type of hunting. You lived in Co. all ur life?

Colorado Cowboy
04-14-2013, 02:42 PM
I'll be 72 later this year too. We old folks should take over this forum.

Old Hunter
04-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I thought we did? :D

Old Hunter
04-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Thats for sure, we are lucky we can even think about this type of hunting. You lived in Co. all ur life?

I wish I had. I came here every year to hunt since the 50's, but moved here only 7 years ago. I came here to retire not only to hunt, but to fly fish too. At some point it will just be fly fishing, but that ok. I love it.

Eberle
04-14-2013, 09:02 PM
You old folks inspire us younger guys! Give us hope for later on. I should make time to exercise more, but I'm in good shape & eat healthy. I do alot of manual labor & coach soccer, t-ball & softball. The kids make sure I stay in shape. I'm honestly more concerned about my mules being in shape, mentally & physically. If we have wreck on one of them, it could be a matter of life or death!

Old Hunter
04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
We have donkey races here. 20 miles through the mountains at high altitude. You can't ride the donkey. You have to run next to it.

Do that with your mules, and you'll both stay in shape.

When I hike the mountains I try to stay with my dog. He'd wear out a young man.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Jamnut/IMG_0506.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Jamnut/media/IMG_0506.jpg.html)

JMSZ
04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
I have been hammering at the gym everyday before work (6 days a week). Free weights and shooting at home at night. Usual day is up at 4:30am. In the gym at 6:30am. Run 3 miles, stationary bike 15 min. Hit some weights and off to work. Get home at 6:00pm. Dinner. Arms and upper body with the free weights and then shoot for 30-45min. In bed at 11pm.

I changed my diet fair bit and I have managed to drop 35lbs since Christmas and I now do my 3 mile runs in about 25min. I want to be doing a 6 mile run with a 30lb pack on in under 60min by the time I hit the high country in July. I would love to get out and do some longer runs and train outside but I got 6 inches of snow last week and it was -23C (-10F) Monday morning. Got to love spring time in Alberta!

Be careful trying for that time - I use the standard for the Forest Service wildland firefighter test as my target, 45lbs 3 miles in 45 minutes.

I did the 3 milees in 47 minutes the other night and I was humping, that's a 15 minute per mile pace and I would consider 13 minutes per mile to be really moving.

You're talking a sub 10 minute per mile pace - with 30lbs on your back, you're risking some serious damage to your ankles, knees and hips.

Grizz
04-15-2013, 09:57 AM
You guys are all inspiring! I was training hard everyday until last week when I found out why my progression has been so discouraging. I could not figure out why I was not improving on my running distance or times and why the weights were continually kicking my a$$. I have Mono. Explains the aches and constant fatigue. Can't wait for this crap to leave my system. I'm still eating healthy but as for working out, am just walking my dog. Fished a canyon on Friday and was wiped out afterward. I'm 34 and have always been a bear but right now I've never felt weaker in my life. Keep hammerin' guys and gals and I'll be back in game shortly!

Doe Nob
04-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Be careful trying for that time - I use the standard for the Forest Service wildland firefighter test as my target, 45lbs 3 miles in 45 minutes.
I did the 3 milees in 47 minutes the other night and I was humping, that's a 15 minute per mile pace and I would consider 13 minutes per mile to be really moving.

Does that incorporate any kind of altitude change or allowance for such or is it flatland like on a track?

Oh hell, on edit, I shoulda just googled it first:

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/safety/wct/2002/pack_test_info_sheet.pdf

Doe Nob
04-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Tried the wildland firefighter fitness test, 43:26 w/ 48.8 lb pack. On a flat track its a lot of control below the knee.

JMSZ
04-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Tried the wildland firefighter fitness test, 43:26 w/ 48.8 lb pack. On a flat track its a lot of control below the knee.

Good time.

This got me digging around on that again, look up "USFS","Pack Test" on google, in a forum, they were saying the fastest recorded time is like 34 minutes, without running.

I'm on a 1.5 mile road and the last 1/2 mile climbs 150 feet, so it's 1 mile out level, 1/2 mile uphill, 1/2 mile downhill and 1 mile level back. I'm working on doing that in under 45 minutes, the 47 minutes is my best so far.

I need to do it all level at some point and see where I'm at with that.

Doe Nob
04-22-2013, 09:55 AM
This got me digging around on that again, look up "USFS","Pack Test" on google, in a forum, they were saying the fastest recorded time is like 34 minutes, without running.

I was booking it, I can't imagine walking much faster. 34 minutes? That had to be someone that's like 6 foot 11 with a huge stride.

JMSZ
04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
I was booking it, I can't imagine walking much faster. 34 minutes? That had to be someone that's like 6 foot 11 with a huge stride.

That's what I was thinking when I read that...I don't think my legs could move that fast without me tripping over myself.

packmule
04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
the insanity dvd's work

They do if done as the video. I did it non-stop for 90days before going on a hunt and ended up having to help another guy pack 4 bulls out from over 12k' after packing my wife's buck out that AM. It took a little while but wasn't sore the next day.

Doe Nob, if you get bored one day and want to add to your interval running, mix in 4m (20s rep/10s rest) sets of:

alternating front squats & back squats - minute break
push-ups - minute break
Jump tucks- minute break
Dips- minute break
Hold a plank (weighted if necessary)as long as you can

buckbull
04-25-2013, 08:37 AM
You guys are all inspiring! I was training hard everyday until last week when I found out why my progression has been so discouraging. I could not figure out why I was not improving on my running distance or times and why the weights were continually kicking my a$$. I have Mono. Explains the aches and constant fatigue. Can't wait for this crap to leave my system. I'm still eating healthy but as for working out, am just walking my dog. Fished a canyon on Friday and was wiped out afterward. I'm 34 and have always been a bear but right now I've never felt weaker in my life. Keep hammerin' guys and gals and I'll be back in game shortly!

mono is bad news. I missed 2 months of my senior year of high school. I grew up on a dairy farm and was in very good shape. Lost 15 pounds. It took me about 6 months to fully recover.

tttoadman
04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
I stay in marginal shape with weekend activities. I usually spend every saturday morning on my 10 deg incline trying to shake the flat spot from my rear end from the work week. I was blessed with good metabolism. I can get after it a couple days a week back and forth from an incline and a bowflex, and start shedding extra pounds. I am one of those bad knees people. Running is out, and downhills are tough. I have to go quite a while on this other equipment to really get some good cardio.

funny:
Last night I spent an hour or so stepping on and off the digital scale to get weights on a bunch of my gear. My wife reminded me that if i would lose a little more of my fat @#$, I wouldn't need to buy all of this expensive lightweight gear. I told her I need both, and to quit picking on me.

04-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Went out this morning for a run. MEANT to do 5km around a loop I know well in the cities river valley. Felt good at the bridge I usually cross at the far end of my loop so I thought 'the next bridge is only a few blocks, I can stretch this run out a bit'......... famous last words.

Missed the turnoff to the next bridge......

Got to the next bridge and crossed. Still felt ok so I ran back. Got most of the way back to where I usually cross back to go home. Feeling tired but I powered through and pushed it home.

My 5km run ended up being 14.4km (nearly 9 miles) and took me 87min.

Learned I can go farther than I thought, and I shouldn't wear that old shirt anymore when I run. Hurts more than my legs.

Bow season opens in 120 days. Worth the pain!!!

Next week I start running with my pack. That will suck more.

Any recommendations for a new shirt?

Old Hunter
04-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Sure! say this on the next shirt.

I CAN RUN TO THE NEXT BRIDGE

tim
04-30-2013, 12:56 PM
well i am on the injured reserve list. Had a hard landing on a snowmobile jump. great air though. And than 2 days later climbing into the back of the pickup truck to do a dump run, my knee popped, but not the good kind. Hurts to walk and such. Hopefully just a minor set back, as i am supposed to be sheep hunting in the wrangells this september.

25contender
05-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Since my nephew was doing great in school I bought him and myself a gym membership. (In the beginning I thought I made a mistake!!) I have been at the Gym for 2 hours-three days a week since before Christmas. The first two months were tough and I started out slow. But now I am enjoying it. I start by warming up on the Elliptical for ten minutes then do 90 flights on the Stair master machine. We then move to weight machines and free weights for a hour or so. I am not trying to build to much muscle but really doing the weights for strength and stamina. At the end we do 100 pulls on the rowing machine then three miles on the bike. I have lost 9 lbs and 15 is my goal. Also been eating better. I did a lot of Turkey chasing and filming this spring so that was a good thing. I will be putting on the pack soon to do some 5-10 mile hikes. Guys I will tell you this much the older you get the tougher it gets!!!! Wont be long before archery season is here. Mark

wileywapiti
05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
if you've never tried....battling ropes. best core workout I've ever done, not to mention cardio from hell, youtube the workouts. it will change the way you look at low impact cardio workouts. PS...you will hate every minute of it, if you try it.

Trevor_20
05-30-2013, 01:36 AM
best this to do is burpees... im in crossfit and im telling u guys those no matter how good of shape your in will kick your @$$ and they will always improve you in every aspect. lower body, core, upper body, and conditioning.

Old Hunter
05-30-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm not into kicking my own ass anymore. My training simulates the hunt. Heavy backpack in the same high mountains that I hunt. 11,000ft. That way I have no surprises when I first load the backpack with elk meat, and have to hike out. I hate surprises.

25contender
05-31-2013, 07:06 AM
Went out to start breaking in the new boots yesterday. Just did a short 4 mile hike. Boots fit great and feel good. Really like the new insoles as well. Back to the gym today.

Fink
05-31-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm not into kicking my own ass anymore. My training simulates the hunt. Heavy backpack in the same high mountains that I hunt. 11,000ft. That way I have no surprises when I first load the backpack with elk meat, and have to hike out. I hate surprises.

I was thinking about this as I was running last night... I've never really been into kicking my own ass. I do a little bit of strength training, all high rep stuff, and I try to run often. Here in the next few weeks, I'll load a pack with 75 pounds, and hike up and down the best 'hills' we have out here, about 4 times a week. If I do that from mid June until September, I WILL be in great shape to hunt up around 11,000 feet.

Old Hunter
05-31-2013, 08:20 AM
I was thinking about this as I was running last night... I've never really been into kicking my own ass. I do a little bit of strength training, all high rep stuff, and I try to run often. Here in the next few weeks, I'll load a pack with 75 pounds, and hike up and down the best 'hills' we have out here, about 4 times a week. If I do that from mid June until September, I WILL be in great shape to hunt up around 11,000 feet.

That will help, but it's not as good as training at 11,000ft. It builds up more red blood cells that can't be duplicated at lower altitudes. That's why athletes train at high altitudes.

I know everybody hasn't got that option. I picked where I live carefully. I can be at 11,000-12,000ft in 20 minutes.

Fink
05-31-2013, 08:33 AM
I agree, nothing can duplicate actual training at 11k, and since living at 900 ft above sea level is my current situation, I just make the best of it. Perhaps when I strike it rich I will either buy an altitude training facility, or move to Colorado and be your next door neighbor.

Old Hunter
05-31-2013, 09:03 AM
You live in a deep Colorado hole.

tim
06-10-2013, 05:05 PM
one of these days I hope to grow up and be as studly as old hunter, is there any one anywhere as awesome as he is in his own mind?

Old Hunter
06-10-2013, 08:27 PM
one of these days I hope to grow up and be as studly as old hunter, is there any one anywhere as awesome as he is in his own mind?

Keep trying kid.

Truth is. I'm not even hunting this year, because of health issues. You obviously don't get my humor, but you did well on your sarcasm classes.

tim
06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
old hunter you are correct, I never thought of humor in your post.

Old Hunter
06-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Never saw the movie...Grumpy Old Men?

In God We Trust
06-13-2013, 11:29 PM
I am running the Tough Mudder in Beaver Creek Saturday, can't wait. I have been training all spring for this race. After that it is time to start backpacking. Sorry to hear about your health Old Hunter.

tim
06-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Never saw the movie...Grumpy Old Men?

no, before my time! bummer about your health.

Old Hunter
06-17-2013, 05:12 PM
It comes with getting older. It just goes to show stuff happens to you, no matter how hard you try to stay in shape.

Enjoy your youth while you have it. Waiting until you retire to have fun doesn't always work out.

tim
06-17-2013, 05:55 PM
It comes with getting older. It just goes to show stuff happens to you, no matter how hard you try to stay in shape.

Enjoy your youth while you have it. Waiting until you retire to have fun doesn't always work out.

I hear you, My dad passed away at 63 with a lot of money in the bank. He thought he was living until 107, so he saved a lot of his money.

dhershberger
06-18-2013, 07:30 AM
New PR! 3.5 miles in 22:38 with a 6:28 mile pace! September cant come any sooner.

tttoadman
06-18-2013, 07:46 AM
New PR! 3.5 miles in 22:38 with a 6:28 mile pace! September cant come any sooner.

awsome!! don't peak too early.

In God We Trust
06-21-2013, 06:15 PM
The Tough Mudder was 10.8 miles of elevation gain at Beaver Creek. It is a cool race if you guys ever het a chance to run it.

25contender
06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Still going to the gym 3 afternoons a week for a few hours per trip. Had the doctors apt yesterday and holding at 9lbs lost since January. Instead of pounds lost its loosing inches right now. I really feel good as the small back and knee issues are pretty much gone. I know the working out has really helped with the back and knee!! This is the best I have felt in three years. I am really looking forward to September!!

Mule3006Elk
07-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately, I work 7 12-hour shifts every 2 weeks. I only say unfortunately because I would prefer to be outdoors like everyone else on this forum. However, on my days off I do 2-a-days. In the morning I will bike 25 minutes at 90% all out effort and then repeat at night. The next day I'll do 10 minutes on the treadmill @ 5 MPH, then 10 minutes @ 6 MPH, then 5 minutes at 3 MPH with 50 lbs on my back and a 10 degree incline, then I will alternate between 5 and 6 MPH at one minute intervals for the final 6 minutes. I take the family to the mountains as much as possible, throw in a 2-3 day scouting trip every month, and call it good.

Zim
07-04-2013, 09:14 PM
I got a slow stet this year due to back strain. Picking up running and biking pace to get muscles burning. But everything is relative. I am 53 now and can't do 6:30 minute miles. Am running 20 miles per week. My calf muscles tighten if I do more. No more weights due to persistent tendinitis, but am shooting bow 3 days per week out to 60 yards with good accuracy. Just 9 weeks to elk hunt.

tim
07-08-2013, 06:30 PM
i was turned on to this app called strava. It is a running or biking app that tracks you and compares you to others. Pretty cool if you are into that. I did see since mid may I have gotten over 55,000 vert of climbing in on my mtn bike. Hopefully I can get 100,000 feet in before my sheep hunt.

tim
07-11-2013, 05:36 PM
if you think you are in shape, go for a ride with a guy that has done a couple of ironman triathalons. Frick that guy could climb like a mtn goat.

Colorado Cowboy
07-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Pretty tired tonight! Not spending a lot of time in the gym now. Walking in hilly terrain 5 miles every morning. Taking me about 1 1/2 hours. To damned boring on the treadmill. I start about 6 to 6:30 before it gets too hot and then do all my irrigating and outside work after I get home. Dropped about #5 in the last 3 weeks,

Fink
07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Threw the pack on and hiked some hills tonight. Hiking my way back down the last hill, I slipped and fell, and heard something snap. Really praying for a sprained ankle right now. Will know more tomorrow. Either way, this is gonna put me out of commission for at least a few days. Bummer.

25contender
07-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Threw the pack on and hiked some hills tonight. Hiking my way back down the last hill, I slipped and fell, and heard something snap. Really praying for a sprained ankle right now. Will know more tomorrow. Either way, this is gonna put me out of commission for at least a few days. Bummer.
Man hate to hear that. Hope its nothing serious. I have stepped up the workouts as of late and will be doing a pack trip this weekend.

tim
08-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I had a goal of 100,000vertical feet of climbing on my bicycle this summer, to prepare for my hunt in Alaska. got it done last night. ended up at 101, 732. leave for Alaska on sunday.

NVBird'n'Big
08-22-2013, 10:32 AM
I had a goal of 100,000vertical feet of climbing on my bicycle this summer, to prepare for my hunt in Alaska. got it done last night. ended up at 101, 732. leave for Alaska on sunday.

Good work Tim, can't wait to see pics!

25contender
08-28-2013, 07:13 PM
I will be lightening my workout schedule in a week and a half. Going to let the body regroup a little before I hit the trail.