PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana grows

Ikeepitcold
04-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I was watching POT COPS and they keep saying how they find a lot of these grows by hunters stumbling acrossed them while out hunting. I have never come acrossed one but most of my hunting is done her in Nv so I assume the weather is to dry. Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

In God We Trust
04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Nope, but I grew up hunting the desert of southern Arizona and saw plenty of illegal immigrants heading over for handouts.

Jerry
04-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Nope, but I grew up hunting the desert of southern Arizona and saw plenty of illegal immigrants heading over for handouts.

Not me personally but hunters found one of the biggest grow operations in oregon history last year.

Caseyu
04-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Come visit northern ca. It is everywhere especially blacktail country closer to i5

Kevin Root
04-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Northern CA has a lot of it. I've come across some growers in Humboldt County some fishing for salmon on the Eel River by Willits back in the late 80's. Now with medical cards it is more and more common or at least I hear about it more often. I've even seen more than one episode now on Wild Justice here in CA. The Fish and Game were in on a raid busting a group of growers.

Ikeepitcold
04-04-2013, 08:25 AM
The show was mostly in Hombolt. Man that could be a real bad deal if a guy was to run into the guys growing with a gun in your hand while hunting.

shootbrownelk
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
The show was mostly in Hombolt. Man that could be a real bad deal if a guy was to run into the guys growing with a gun in your hand while hunting.

That's no kidding, from what I see (on TV) these guys (mostly Mexicans) are armed to the teeth and not afraid to shoot & run!

cali_hornhunter
04-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Come visit northern ca. It is everywhere especially blacktail country closer to i5

Haha so true and ya fortunately for me every grow I've ran into has been during a late season deer hunt so everyone is gone but the they leave all there garbage it was definitely spooky before you know it I was in a camp but I've ran into a couple the nice thing was I reported them and authorities actually came and destroyed everything and cleaned the camp up

tdub24
04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Did Eastman's have an article on how to deal with these growers, or was that Bugle??? I think Bugle, anyways, they gave good pointers on how to approach these type of situations and best ways to report them. They basically were asking all hunters to report when and where they see these marijuana camps, but like IKIC said, most of my hunting is here in NV and I haven't come across any of them.

Colorado Cowboy
04-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Hell we might have a lot of them in the Nat Forest now that it's legal here in Colorado!!!

spark
04-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Hell we might have a lot of them in the Nat Forest now that it's legal here in Colorado!!!

Probably will. We have them in the middle of corn fields and pine tree plantations here in PA. And it's not legal here. We've found them in both areas. Local police were pleased to get the locations but I never heard if anyone was prosecuted. Crop was watched in both instances and later destroyed. Police find them occasionally by air. I can't imagine how frequent it happens close to the Mexican border.

BKC
04-04-2013, 06:16 PM
I think the growers ought to be treated like wolves! S S S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigSurArcher
04-04-2013, 09:32 PM
It's all over the place in most of my deer areas. I shot a buck with my bow once and it actually died IN a grow near the bottom of a canyon. You get used to it, and honestly it's not nearly as scary as the TV shows make it sound. Not that it should be taken lightly, but friends end up in or near them while hunting every year and they've never had an issue.

Ikeepitcold
04-04-2013, 09:48 PM
It's all over the place in most of my deer areas. I shot a buck with my bow once and it actually died IN a grow near the bottom of a canyon. You get used to it, and honestly it's not nearly as scary as the TV shows make it sound. Not that it should be taken lightly, but friends end up in or near them while hunting every year and they've never had an issue.

Wow that's just crazy!

wolftalonID
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I have never run into one, but won't be surprised if I do. Idaho is getting well known for massive grow sites in remote locations. I have seen a few of those pot cops shows. They say they always burn the grow once they collect it all. So.....do they stand in a circle while it burns? Lol:p

sjsmallfield
04-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Haven't found one myself, but my dad crawled into a big grow site in the early 90's while deer hunting. He said there wasn't anything there but a large drip system. It was in late October and he left the site rather quickly!

BobcatJerry
04-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Found a bunch on the farm years ago, small plants, but when I called the sheriff, he questioned me like they were mine. I was a little miffed. It's an uneasy feeling, thinking you are somewhere you shouldn't be.

hardstalk
04-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I was watching POT COPS and they keep saying how they find a lot of these grows by hunters stumbling acrossed them while out hunting. I have never come acrossed one but most of my hunting is done her in Nv so I assume the weather is to dry. Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Too dry?!? They find water to grow with. Then irrigate from miles away. There has been several huuge bust in carpenter canyon/wheeler pass/ mt charleston area. Those are my stomping grounds. In the 10s of thousands of plant type of busts. I wouldn't want to bump into one. Especially that close to sin city. Im typically armed with a spotter and my dog. Neither one of which would help much. There around you. Im sure. Just like those 220" bucks that randy ulmer takes yearly. They hide in the shadows :)

Ikeepitcold
04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Too dry?!? They find water to grow with. Then irrigate from miles away. There has been several huuge bust in carpenter canyon/wheeler pass/ mt charleston area. Those are my stomping grounds. In the 10s of thousands of plant type of busts. I wouldn't want to bump into one. Especially that close to sin city. Im typically armed with a spotter and my dog. Neither one of which would help much. There around you. Im sure. Just like those 220" bucks that randy ulmer takes yearly. They hide in the shadows :)

Funny thing is I do know where some of those bucks are but no grows. I'm sure you are rite tho. I bet they are around.

Umpqua Hunter
04-07-2013, 11:51 AM
I was hunting SW Oregon last year and a guy was showing me his "honey hole" on Google Earth, and he said "oh wow those are my pot plants, I didn't realize you could see them so well"....lol

tttoadman
04-29-2013, 02:51 PM
I have spent years running around above my house in central cascade foothills. I have not seen the plants, but we sure have seen some shady people up there. I am almost afraid to go up there by myself like I used to.

craziest thing ever. you military people need to contain yourselves. I was up there late at night with my boys, and could hear a helicopter, but could never see it. finally in the distance a small light. then bigger. finally I see a helicopter rise up about 100 yards from me and hovers straight out from me on a steep canyon side with spot lights on me. I could barely hear it. I didn't have a clue what was going on. turns out the military does some canyon training in that area. It is pretty remote, yet they have enough hot spots(like me) on their screen I guess to do some training. It was pretty awsome, but a little spooky at the same time. I just hope they use all that training to keep some of the potheads out of the woods.

most people I know just grow their own behind the barn. largest cash crop in our County for the last 30 years. we are so proud.