PDA

View Full Version : What's in Your Shopping Cart This Spring

clacklin009
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Each Spring I can't wait for the big game hunting seasons to start. In anticipation for the late summer and fall hunts I get started with new purchases for the year. Last year it was a new bow and tent. This year I've started with an order of GU Chomps, gels, and Roctane drink mix. Next I'm going after a large supply of Mountain House meals and a new pack. I'm also thinking about a new fixed blade knife and possibly a new head lamp-thinking about the Princeton Tec. Remix Tactical with red and blue lights.

Wanted to know what y'all are planning on getting for the upcoming year.

JMSZ
04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II headlamp - it uses a single AA or CR123 battery and has white, red, blue and IR lights with variable brightness.

A couple more pairs of merino wool long undies.

A good pair of hunting boots.

MSR Groundhog tent stakes

Bridgford sandwiches, FRS chews and powder, Ramien and Tuna packs.

So far I've picked up:

Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS

Exped Synmat 9 sleeping pad

One pair of Smartwool Merino wool undies

Wild Country (Terra Nova) Duolite tent

Gerber Camp Axe w/ saw

Benchmade strap cutter / gut hook

clacklin009
04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I like the Streamlight Idea I'll have to check it out along with the Garmin, I haven't seen that one before.

JMSZ
04-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I like the Streamlight Idea I'll have to check it out along with the Garmin, I haven't seen that one before.

I have the Streamlight fullsize light and I love it, having the variable brightness is really nice. The head on the fullsize and compact swivel, which is really handy.

The Foretrex is a barebones GPS, it doesn't have the color LCD display or maps, but it's small and light, displays just what I want and it's cheap compared to the others.

If you want something with the maps and color display, check with some of the other guys, some of them got Garmin Oregons and Montanas and they can fill you in on them.

Colorado Cowboy
04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
New sleeping bag and a new TC Omega Pro Hunter

Drhorsepower
04-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I'd like to pick up a new razor spotter. 50 or 65mm

humbletaxi
04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
The new long Range Accubonds, and a Wyoming land ownership gps chip pending the draw results. A new spotting scope would be nice but I think that is more of a pipe dream as I am broke.

humbletaxi
04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know when the Long Range Accubonds are going to be available?

Ikeepitcold
04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
I'll take a Nv deer tag and while I'm shopping ill take a Antelope tag too. That's it. Not to much to ask for rite?

I'm pretty set up for gear. I do like the sound of that light. I would like to get a new set of Gaiters from REI.

BKC
04-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I am much like IKIC, I have a lot of gear. I have a couple of good hunts coming up this year and I am trying to figure out how I can swing one of these.http://www.cap-pack.com/#!cap-pack/c1peb

Muleys 24/7
04-04-2013, 08:46 PM
I have tons of good gear but there is always something I want to upgrade.think this year I will be paying off my quad, and maybe buy a night force scope. Next year I'll probably pull the trigger on getting into smoke poles. But all this could change tomorrow:cool:

Timberstalker
04-04-2013, 09:39 PM
I was thinking about a spotting scope, but I don't thint its going to happen. I guess I am just going to have to get things done with the crap I have.

Muleys 24/7
04-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I'll take a Nv deer tag and while I'm shopping ill take a Antelope tag too. That's it. Not to much to ask for rite?

A little off topic, but is that what you decided on for this year???

JMSZ
04-05-2013, 08:48 PM

I'm pretty set up for gear. I do like the sound of that light. I would like to get a new set of Gaiters from REI.

How do you like wearing gaiters? More of a personal preference or something you would recommend based for particular situations?

I've considered them a couple of times, I can see where they could be nice to have, but never been in a situation that made their utility apparent and I wished I'd had them.

WYrider
04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
A new UTV for me. Gonna pick up a polaris RZR 50" 800 next week. Then have all summer to get it enclosed, heated, and gun racks.

I got all new clothes last year. Now its my wifes turn. Just started looking and the few items she had picked out over last december are all gone. Sold out or not making them anymore. The only stuff we can find is the cabelas brand wich sucks. Under Armour does not have any on there website. Might have to go with mens sitka or the new Badlands stuff looks good. Anything out there for women?

Also may need a bigger pack and a new horse trailer.

clacklin009
04-10-2013, 08:40 PM
How do you like wearing gaiters? More of a personal preference or something you would recommend based for particular situations?

I've considered them a couple of times, I can see where they could be nice to have, but never been in a situation that made their utility apparent and I wished I'd had them.

i have to use gaiters every other year during early October rifle elk in Utah. The snow seems to hit at the right time and the gaiters help keep the snow out of the boots.

Edelweiss
04-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Obermeyer 30 inch AMU .338 1 in 9.5 barrel and a Manners thumbhole stock inletted for the AMU and a M700 long action. Hopefully I can find a Surgeon or Defiance action in November.

Surgeon isn't shipping actions anymore unless they have overstock and Defiance has a huge backlog.

It will be a Stiller if I can't get the other two.

Edelweiss
04-11-2013, 03:12 AM
Obermeyer 30 inch AMU .338 1 in 9.5 barrel and a Manners thumbhole stock inletted for the AMU and a M700 long action. Hopefully I can find a Surgeon or Defiance action in November.

Surgeon isn't shipping actions anymore unless they have overstock and Defiance has a huge backlog.

It will be a Stiller if I can't get the other two.

Picking up the pieces one by one for my retirement rifle self-gift.

clacklin009
07-14-2013, 10:08 PM
I mentioned in my original post I was planning on getting a new pack, well, I finally got one. This was the most difficult purchase I have ever made, but I had to end up getting the best for what I could afford. I didn't feel comfortable going with a used pack (I've seen how much damage I can do to a pack) and I ended up going with a mid grade Kelty. I also got a headlamp, the Black Diamond Storm. I got a few surprise items, a trail camera, Moultrie M-990i, Vortex Ranger 1000, and Summit SS tripod. I'm super excited to get out and use the stuff. I have the camera set-up in the backyard, hoping to catch some skunks tonight.

BobT
07-15-2013, 04:37 AM
I need a new tent, looking at Big Agnes and I picked up a new MK4 PR 4.5-14 for my pronghorn rifle.

Colorado Cowboy
07-15-2013, 06:30 AM
New sleeping bag and a new TC Omega Pro Hunter

Went to Cabelas in early June and got them both along with a new Garmin Oregon 600 GPS. Thats about it for this year:cool:

packmule
07-15-2013, 07:16 AM
I picked up 3 500# protein feeders Friday.....and a new T-post driver.

Fatrascal
07-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Sold my swarovski spotter and bino's and got the new atx swaro spotter and the new swarovision el bino's. Need a new cold weather lightweight sleeping bag, kifaru gun bearer rifle scabbard, spike camp duffel for my eberlestock back pack, and trekking poles. Cabelas card is getting a good workout this year. fatrascal.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
fatrascal,

what module did you get for your ATX?

Doe Nob
07-15-2013, 10:35 AM
New tent, new trekking poles, both were not up to the task on my summer scouting trip. Also a bigger expedition pack. Not sure the 2200 is big enough for me for a 5 day back country hunt.

jarheadhunter
07-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Just picked up my Outdoorsmans tripod and head. I would like to get a nice down bag and 1-2 man tent and maybe a new pack for longer trips.

clacklin009
07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
New tent, new trekking poles, both were not up to the task on my summer scouting trip. Also a bigger expedition pack. Not sure the 2200 is big enough for me for a 5 day back country hunt.

My 3600 bag was not big enough for me to take on 5 day trips, but I go over the top with food and survival gear, so I had to get a bigger bag, Now I have 6000.

ssliger
07-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Bought a new tent, Garmin 550 GPS, Meopta HD spotting scope, Spott Hogg Hogg it, and Badlands 4500 pack. Still need rain gear, puffy coat and something else I'm sure.

Elkoholic307
07-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Some FHF Gear. Bino Harness and GPS Pouch. Got a MR Crew Cab in Optifade this spring so now I need to buy the rest of my "outfit" :rolleyes:

Bitterroot Bulls
07-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Some FHF Gear. Bino Harness and GPS Pouch. Got a MR Crew Cab in Optifade this spring so now I need to buy the rest of my "outfit" :rolleyes:

The FHF stuff is legit. Good choice.

DryFlyGuy
07-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Ugh, I participated in a thread like this on the rok and it kind of shocked me when I really stopped to think about it. My simple answer:more than I anticipated or will admit to.

LintonOutdoors
07-16-2013, 09:11 AM
So many cool new products this year. New First Lite Outerwear, new Sitka items, new packs, a guy could spend a lot more money than he should ;) One cool product that I am pumped on is the new Brunton Ember (http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/brunton-ember-2800-rechargeable-battery-with-solar-panel/). Its a small, lightweight, compact solar rechargable power pack. You can charge the battery pack with your computer or outlet, or you can charge it in the backcountry with the solar panel side. It will charge a smart phone 3 time before running out of power. Take 2hrs to charge via USB or 7hrs to charge via solar panel. A pretty cool device for charging cellphones, gps, cameras, headlamp batteries etc.

hardstalk
07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Im with ya L.O this is probably my biggest season for spending/trading I have acquired quite a bit. Kuiu clothes/jackets Kuiu pack, Kuiu bino harness, an outdoorsman pack. I actually traded the outdoorsman pack for an older quad. Now my new hunting truck is loaded up with a 4 wheeler for those trails that arent vehicle friendly and the pack is there when the road ends. Also got some new to me lowa baffins. A few pieces of first lite clothing. Now I just need time to get my arse in the hills!!

Fatrascal
07-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Bitterroot, to answer your question from page 3, I got the 65mm objective lens for backpacking and the 95mm lens for digiscoping. I've had it a month now but can't seem to find the time to do some scouting. Its killing me to have it and not try it out, lol. But I'll be posting pictures and video the first chance I get. fatrascal.

Fink
07-16-2013, 01:51 PM
After spending $1.3 billion on stuff last year, I didn't think I'd need much this year... Then I bought new strings for the bow, a new spot hogg sight, dozen arrows, half dozen broadheads, a Patagonia nanopuff, Vortex razor 10x42's, and now an FHF harness to put them in..

Oh yeah, and some bear spray, to hose down Grizz, before I shoot him in the face with a .44 buffalo bore bullet.

I'm pretty sure that's about it, or at least that's all I'm trying to remember...

On the plus side, the new strings and sight are allowing me to shoot about a 4 inch group with 6 arrows at 60 yards

tdub24
07-16-2013, 03:25 PM
After spending $1.3 billion on stuff last year

I know what you mean. I feel like I should be majority owner in Cabela's!

Bitterroot Bulls
07-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Bitterroot, to answer your question from page 3, I got the 65mm objective lens for backpacking and the 95mm lens for digiscoping. I've had it a month now but can't seem to find the time to do some scouting. Its killing me to have it and not try it out, lol. But I'll be posting pictures and video the first chance I get. fatrascal.

That will be a nice system. I have the 85mm now, and will likely add a 65 at some point.

Elkoholic307
07-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah, and some bear spray, to hose down Grizz, before I shoot him in the face with a .44 buffalo bore bullet.

I like how you think!

MtnBoy
07-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I honestly don't even want to think about all the $$ I've spent already!

One thing I'm super excited about though is a new Easton tent! Its built well, light and didn't even break the bank too bad, hoping to go test it out this weekend.

tttoadman
07-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Got:
stone glacier solo pack, marmot 0 deg bag, BA UL2, I have a small truckload of core4 clothing in transit as we speak. boot insoles, merino socks.

Need:
Goal zero solar charger, new card for Rhino 530, AA battery pack for Rhino 530, water bladders and some small gear bags to hook to the SG solo. THERAPY!!

I had to give up the idea of a vortex 50 until next year, and got the pack instead. I have some decent binos. I hope i made the right choice.

I was at cabelas store for 2 hrs and left with "nothing". That is some serious will power!!

I have happily hunted in overweight and water soaked clothing using horrible gear for years. I really think this new gear will make my hunting more successful and definitely more enjoyable. I just wish I didn't have to get so much stuff so fast.

Ricochet
07-17-2013, 08:04 PM
I just got a new pair of Kenetreks and gators. Next I need a light weight, warm, and waterproof jacket. I have been looking at the KUIU stuff. I like the sitka stuff but it is a little exspensive. I have a friend that works at Columbia so I'm going to check what they have to offer. I would get the Columbia stuff half off. If anybody has any suggestions I would be greatful. Thanks

Bitterroot Bulls
07-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Kuiu, First Lite, Kryptek all have solid waterproof breathable shells and good insulating layers.

JMSZ
07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I just got a new pair of Kenetreks and gators. Next I need a light weight, warm, and waterproof jacket. I have been looking at the KUIU stuff. I like the sitka stuff but it is a little exspensive. I have a friend that works at Columbia so I'm going to check what they have to offer. I would get the Columbia stuff half off. If anybody has any suggestions I would be greatful. Thanks

Check clearance items at REI and places like that, I got a Primaloft-filled jacket w/ hood for half off the regular price at REI.

dhershberger
07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Just bought a Nikon prostaff 3 rangefinder and it is awesome!

Fatrascal
07-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Bitterroot, congrats on your new ATX. I know you've been pretty happy with your Razor digiscoping set up and have other Swarovski set ups. Looking forward to your personal reviews on your new system and hopefully some pictures. fatrascal.

clacklin009
07-19-2013, 11:03 AM
When out to set up the new Moultrie game camera and used the new Vortex Ranger 1000 to check distances. Ranger worked great and I will see how the camera works in a couple of weeks.

BKC
07-21-2013, 03:42 PM
I am much like IKIC, I have a lot of gear. I have a couple of good hunts coming up this year and I am trying to figure out how I can swing one of these.http://www.cap-pack.com/#!cap-pack/c1peb

I saw it, I wanted it, I bought it. We will see what it is like when it is full of gear and I'm bouncing down the road?

25contender
07-21-2013, 09:03 PM

I saw it, I wanted it, I bought it. We will see what it is like when it is full of gear and I'm bouncing down the road?

I built this one for my F250 a few years ago. You can put a air mattress on top and sleep in the truck and all your gear is below. Works really good. I also put locks on the drawers.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/offshore3144/shell02.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/offshore3144/media/shell02.jpg.html)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/offshore3144/shell01.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/offshore3144/media/shell01.jpg.html)

BKC
07-22-2013, 05:51 PM
25contender, That is some good looking work. I was looking at something like this but I just couldn't picture putting a dead deer on top of it and having it bleed all over my gear. Looks like your pretty good at "honey do" lists.

sjsmallfield
07-22-2013, 06:10 PM
That thing is awesome 25contender. I would love to do somthing like that with my rig.

25contender
07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
25contender, That is some good looking work. I was looking at something like this but I just couldn't picture putting a dead deer on top of it and having it bleed all over my gear. Looks like your pretty good at "honey do" lists.
I have a rubber mat that fits on top. and all my gear fits in the boxes. I also have a carrier that fits in the receiver that was made so it is about 2ft off the ground so it doesn't hit anything in rough terrain. You cant see them but there are 4 hatches that open up in front and in back of each wheel well for extra storage. I think the whole project was right at $300. It can be lifted out if it needs to be but I have never taken it out because I use it all the time. Makes neat lockable storage and you can still use the top of the boax for other gear and sleeping.

25contender
07-22-2013, 07:09 PM
That thing is awesome 25contender. I would love to do somthing like that with my rig.
Its not that hard to build and not to expensive. It sit right on top of the bed liner so if for any reason water gets below the box it will just drain if you park on a slight grade.

Fatrascal
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
I up graded the truck. I think it will match my binoculars, ha ha. fatrascal
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/fatrooster/IMG_1110_zps0d807aa4.jpg (http://s918.photobucket.com/user/fatrooster/media/IMG_1110_zps0d807aa4.jpg.html)

clacklin009
01-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Each Spring I can't wait for the big game hunting seasons to start. In anticipation for the late summer and fall hunts I get started with new purchases for the year. Last year it was a new bow and tent. This year I've started with an order of GU Chomps, gels, and Roctane drink mix. Next I'm going after a large supply of Mountain House meals and a new pack. I'm also thinking about a new fixed blade knife and possibly a new head lamp-thinking about the Princeton Tec. Remix Tactical with red and blue lights.

Wanted to know what y'all are planning on getting for the upcoming year.

It's too early for the Spring shopping cart; however, I think it is the perfect time for product reviews on last Spring's shopping cart. It might help anyone that is thinking about products this Spring.

GU Chomps, Gels, and Roctane: Chomps and Gels were great as always. Roctane was perfect for my needs, it had a good amount of sugar, tons of energy, and a good flavor.

Kelty Red Cloud Pack: Was great It fit real well and for how big a pack, it sat low at the top. I was concerned about noise but there was no problem.

Black Diamond Storm Headlamp: The light quality was great. On one hunt I didn't start hiking until 7:30 pm and ended up bushwhacking a new trail. The Storm had good distance and a bright light. This is an area (headlamps) where double the price tag of a poor light more than doubled the performance (IMHO). The strap held position while on my head but slipped out of position every time I took it off. Had to re-adjust it every morning but it did adjust very easy.

Streamlight Scorpion Flashlight: I liked it a lot. Rubber grip, easy to hold onto and a good quality beam.

Streamlight The Siege Lantern (most surprising purchase). Waterproof light that will float if dropped in water. Very bright lantern for a large tent, 3 brightness settings and a red light selection. The top can be removed so the light can hang from the ceiling and not have anything obstruct the light. Nice and small easy to move around with. three points to hang it from. Works well ice fishing to-boot.

Mountain House Meals: Had eggs for the first time. I bought one to try at home and it did not agree with me. The rest were fine. Bought a Backpackers Pantry meal and that was not what I was looking for. Seemed to taste more like fresh veggies, not a problem, but just takes too long to absorb and I just preferred Mountain House taste.