PDA

View Full Version : What packs are you using??

kjw
04-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Just curious what everyones opinion is or what they use when they backpack in for a pack?? Do you hunt with your frame pack?? Do you take an extra pack to hunt with?? Kinda torn between wanting to be able to hunt lightweight with a small back or having a pack big enough to take a small load with after a kill but I don't want to have to carry my frame pack all day. What do you use??

Caseyu
04-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Kifaru timberline. I pack in. Unload at camp. use it as a day pack. Hopefully fill it full of meat. pick up camp and head back to the truck easy as pie

cali_hornhunter
04-09-2013, 06:37 PM
I currently use a eberlestocks X2 and blue widow but in the process of upgrading to a kifaru duplex timberline 1

tdub24
04-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Check out this thread.

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showthread.php/4355-Stone-glacier-vs-Kuiu-packs

Ikeepitcold
04-10-2013, 08:00 AM
I use a badlands super day for day hunts and the Cabelas Alaskan frame and pack for my pack in hunts. Works well and the frame is very comfortable. Sometimes I will take the day pack and strap it to the frame for day hunts or one overnight hunt.

Drhorsepower
04-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm going with a kifaru bikini/highcamp setup up for pack ins this year and kifaru bt3 for day hunts. Should receive it ins few weeks so I haven't had any field time with either. I did try them on at the sheep show though! I think I'm going to be a happy camper;)

tttoadman
04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
I use a badlands super day for day hunts and the Cabelas Alaskan frame and pack for my pack in hunts. Works well and the frame is very comfortable. Sometimes I will take the day pack and strap it to the frame for day hunts or one overnight hunt.

This is my current method. I am such a creature of habit, i have not found anything to hunt day to day that compares to my "wilderness pack specialties" daypack that I have had for about 15 years. I also have the same frame pack that i have had for over 25 years.

I know the frame packs can be noisy. Do you ever strap the daypack on to the frame pack and take them on your day hunts while leaving the base camp stuff on top of a ridge a few miles away? I can understand why somebody wouldn't want to put a buck down at dark, and have to hike all the way back to get a pack. I just have a hard time parting with the money for an "all-in" pack unless I am committed to carrying it all day. completely undecided!!

DryFlyGuy
04-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Kifaru Timberline 1 on a bikini frame. I put a grab it on it with the gen. 2 hanging meat bag.

SprintNShoot7
04-11-2013, 11:23 PM
For hunts from the truck, I use a Badlands 2200 as my day pack, with my Badlands OX and Cabela's frame pack at the truck for meat hauling. This spring and fall I'll be using the Badlands OX as my backpacking pack.

arrowslinger21
04-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Mystery Ranch Crew Cab on the NICE Frame

RUTTIN
04-12-2013, 07:28 AM
I bought an Eberlestock Blue Widow just for this reason, I can unzip the panel, haul all of my gear in and when I get camp set up I can zip it back together and have a day pack too.

LintonOutdoors
04-12-2013, 11:24 AM
I can afford some of these packs mentioned above ;-) so I also use an Eberlestock Blue Widow. Really like the unzipping to expand as I haul camp in, dropping camp, and then zipping back up into a compressed day mode. I also really like the quick release bow bucket as well, sure saves the arms on long hikes and I know if i bump something I can get it off my back and to full draw in 10 seconds.

Muleys 24/7
04-12-2013, 09:20 PM
I've been happy with my Eberlestock J107. It has the same features as the Blue widow, but the gun version. If you want to go super light not to far away from your spike camp, you can turn the top into a fanny pack. The pack is a few pounds more than the super light packs but very versatile. If your in good shape the pack will be no problem. Great value.

RUTTIN
04-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Oh ya, and if you decide on a Eberlestock, Linton outdoors has them, got mine at the ISE show from them.

In God We Trust
04-12-2013, 11:20 PM
I use a Badlands hypervent for day trips and a golite pack for long hunts in the wilderness. I just ordered a new Badlands Ox for extended stay hunts. I am excited as this should be a big upgrade to my gear.

tdcour
04-13-2013, 07:43 AM
I have a horn hunter mainbeam. I really like the pack for day trips and it can haul meat out for a first trip back to the truck or camp to get a frame pack. For my frame back I have a Cabelas Alaskan Frame. No complaints with it, but I have only hauled out two mule deer with it. One pack out was right around 100 pounds which just about killed my legs, but it rode about as comfortably as 100 pounds can. the second I didn't have to pack very far so I made two trips. Not sure on the weight of those trips, but it was substantially light. I don't really have any complaints about any of my packs.

My dad uses Eberlestock packs, but I don't remember which ones he has. They look like great packs and look like they offer a little more adjustability than my Horn Hunter pack. We do mostly day trips since most of the ground we hunt here in South Dakota is walk in only and no camping is allowed so we cover some ground with those packs.

I have had my Horn Hunter for 3 hunting seasons now (this will be the fourth), I've had the Alaskan Frame for 2 years now, dad has had his Eberlestock packs for 2 years now as well. We both tried on all of the packs before purchasing them... even had the sales associate push down on the pack to simulate a load. We just ended up buying what was in our price range and what rode comfortably for our body size and type. My next day pack I think I may look at an Eberlestock because of the extra adjustments.

Muleys 24/7
04-13-2013, 07:36 PM
I ordered mine through Linton outdoors as well. Good prices and service.

JMSZ
04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Old school - I have a modified large ALICE pack and a smaller pack from a company called London Bridge Trading that mounts on an ALICE frame. Both have a pad system, it has pockets for two camelbacks and other stuff and makes a world of difference in the comfort.

I'm not a fan of internal packs, I don't like the way they ride and carry weight.

I'm debating whether to just carry the larger ALICE or use the smaller ALICE w/ a couple of hitchhikers with my tent, sleeping, bag pad, etc.

Carrying 2+ packs makes the initial weight a bit higher, but it means I can drop camp somewhere and take a lighter and smaller pack to beat the bush with.

I thought I had decided on the large ALICE just because it would be easier, but now I'm reconsidering, thanks KJW...just kidding :)

Grantbvfd
04-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Kifaru Duplex Timberline 3 for scouting snd short trips. DT 1 for longer excursions.

griz
04-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Tenzing 6000. Very comfortable.

Wild Country
04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
I love my blue widow, it has done everything I have asked it to and I used it for a buddy's goat hunt. I am saving for the timberline 1 pack though!!!

Elkoholic307
04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Just curious what everyones opinion is or what they use when they backpack in for a pack?? Do you hunt with your frame pack?? Do you take an extra pack to hunt with?? Kinda torn between wanting to be able to hunt lightweight with a small back or having a pack big enough to take a small load with after a kill but I don't want to have to carry my frame pack all day. What do you use??

No sense in taking two packs. Take a look at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Lightweight and on a strong frame. Best of both worlds.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-19-2013, 09:01 AM
No sense in taking two packs. Take a look at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Lightweight and on a strong frame. Best of both worlds.

The Metcalf is a good option, but Stone Glacier and Kifaru offer similar designs that are both larger in capacity and lighter in weight. They also compress to practically nothing for daypack use.

crumy
04-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Kifaru - Bikini Dt1. Just got it and have only "hiked" around the neighborhood. but I am very impressed.

hardstalk
04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
After tons of research (as always) I weighed the pros and cons of alot of different companies. For me it came down to
a.versatility
b. weight
c. cost
d. durability

I spoke with stone glacier several times and pondered the kifaru ultralight series. I personally dont care about brand or looks for my applications. So that was a big benefit. In previous seasons I would use a blacks creek canadian jim horn edition with the removable day pack. Worked great and built like a tank but added several pounds that I feel were unnecessary as I started to venture further into to woods. I recently went with the 2012 kuiu frame and icon 3000 pack after speaking with kuiu. I couldn't beat the price I got the "showroom" special and was @ 350.00 out the door with frame,bag,adapter kit and a few other goodies. The newer size pack kuiu offers did not appeal much to me and at first that turned me off. But after some research kuiu said they are introducing a pack similiar to the "approach" from stone glacier. It will lash on to any of their bags. Onto the frame or rock it alone. So that answered all of my questions when looking for my checklist. Price yep! Versatility yep! Durability yep! The 2012 frames are a major change from the 2011. And the weight is on par for me. I could have spent an additional 250-300 to shave a pound but could not justify it.

sagehunter
06-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I really love my eberlestock blue widow.

MacDonald
06-25-2013, 04:47 PM
J-107 here, and really am impressed with it. But I'd get a different pack for a bowhunt. Don't have any use for those butt bucket things you compound shooters have, since I shoot a Toelke Whip longbow. Can't stuff that in a pack and still use a pair of trekking poles. I may have to invest in one of his takedowns!

steve-wv
07-08-2013, 12:55 PM
I use an Eberlestock J34 for the same reason as forementioned , serves as two packs. No complaints yet.

exit28nevada
08-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Badlands 4500,for multi day hunts.Blacks creek western hunter day pack.I do miss my old crooked horn fleece, guides day pack,awsome pack i bought it new in 94,used it for years,

LaHunter
08-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Eberlestock J34. Very versatile pack. Can go from a large capacity pack down to a day pack easily. Also, the rifle scabbard is pretty handy.

tttoadman
08-09-2013, 02:19 PM
This is my current method. I am such a creature of habit, i have not found anything to hunt day to day that compares to my "wilderness pack specialties" daypack that I have had for about 15 years. I also have the same frame pack that i have had for over 25 years.

I know the frame packs can be noisy. Do you ever strap the daypack on to the frame pack and take them on your day hunts while leaving the base camp stuff on top of a ridge a few miles away? I can understand why somebody wouldn't want to put a buck down at dark, and have to hike all the way back to get a pack. I just have a hard time parting with the money for an "all-in" pack unless I am committed to carrying it all day. completely undecided!!

Thought I would follow up on this:
I ended up getting the Stone Glacier Solo(3300 capacity). I got the gun sling and the meat bag. Total weight still under 4#. I like the SG because he has a simple 2" belt that is similar to my old daypack. I load up the belt with shooting sticks, knife, ammo, range finder,.......I picked up a pair of "hump" bags from a recommendation on another post. The intent for me is to use the hump bags to carry bulk food and water to get in. These mount on the bag toward the front instead of on the back like many other add on bags. This keeps the weight forward. By having these bags mounting loose, it also allows me to mount them all the way forward even with the shelf expanded. All of this with the idea to keep as much weight forward as possible. As I thin down throughout the hunt, these can be rolled up and stuffed in the Solo bag.

I have also experimented with StatPack hip bags. I have always been interested in this concept. The only ones I ever saw years ago came with a dedicated belt, which doesn't work with other packs. These bags are quick on and off, super light, and the volume is pretty impressive. They use elastic straps on the legs, and i have tested these for quite a few miles without any discomfort. I am not quite dedicated to these yet, because they block access to the hip pockets on my pants. The idea with these was to have something that can be easy access to water and snacks without taking off the main pack.
http://www.theemsstore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/19559/StatPacks-Traverse-Tactical-Leg-Pouch/

As you can see, I brain$%%^ everything. I just wanted to share on my latest ongoings.

lookinforwater
09-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't have a lot of experience hunting in the west,2 backcountry elk hunts in Idaho and a turkey hunt in the black hills. I use a bull pac frame with my badlands 2200 and the rest of my gear tied on until we get to our spike camp,and then use the 2200 for day hunts. I am really happy with both packs. I have 6 points for deer and elk in Wyoming so I am heading there soon, just havnt decided where to go yet.

BigSurArcher
09-04-2013, 08:39 PM
KUIU Icon 7200.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb207/tharney/DSC02801_zps19489060.jpg

Lazykmcranch
11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
I use the Tenzing TZ6000 and the wife used Blacks Creek Barbarain

mcseal2
11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Eberlestock J34 when I want the room or meat packing ability, Eberlestock X1A1 for day hunts or when I want a little smaller pack, Camelback Stryker when I am going real minimal chasing my buddy who is in better shape than me. He lives at high altitude, I only visit.

Bow newbie
11-29-2013, 10:24 PM
I've got the Kifaru bikini timberline 2. Great pack and I hardly even know I've got a load on, and compresses down to daypack mode quite nicely.

weigand
02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
uhh... a backpacking backpack. Osprey, Kelty, REI. WAY cheaper than the over priced hunting packs (Estock, Kifaru, etc). Currently use a Osprey Argos 85 with homemade felt cover. Quiet and carries more weight than I could physically handle (120lbs+). Decades of research and engineering went into some of these companies, why count them out because they don't come in a fancy camo pattern?

Grantbvfd
02-13-2014, 02:47 PM
uhh... a backpacking backpack. Osprey, Kelty, REI. WAY cheaper than the over priced hunting packs (Estock, Kifaru, etc). Currently use a Osprey Argos 85 with homemade felt cover. Quiet and carries more weight than I could physically handle (120lbs+). Decades of research and engineering went into some of these companies, why count them out because they don't come in a fancy camo pattern?

Camo has nothing to do with the "overpriced packs" your talking about. If I had to pick between an rei pack and an eberlestock I would choose an rei one every time. That being said Kifaru is in a whole other league. Kifaru packs are designed to carry camp and meat out. Most backpacking packs are designed to carry camp in and camp out. Their suspensions are not designed for 100+ pounds. Will the do it? Some of them are capable just not their intended use. I would prefer to spend an extra couple hundred bucks to get a product that I am going to use for its intended use.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

tttoadman
02-13-2014, 02:48 PM

I would say the #1 thing with the high end hunting packs is the ability to separate the meat from the gear with a load shelf. You can get the same type of thing with a quality cabelas pack frame and a day hunting pack like badlands, it just adds a few pounds. FWIW I have a SG pack, and it is not even offered in camo. If a heavy duty backpacking assembly was built with batwings that allowed meat to strapped directly to the frame, that would be something worth looking into.

Grantbvfd
02-13-2014, 03:07 PM
I would say the #1 thing with the high end hunting packs is the ability to separate the meat from the gear with a load shelf. You can get the same type of thing with a quality cabelas pack frame and a day hunting pack like badlands, it just adds a few pounds. FWIW I have a SG pack, and it is not even offered in camo. If a heavy duty backpacking assembly was built with batwings that allowed meat to strapped directly to the frame, that would be something worth looking into.

Kifaru nomad or emr 2. The emr 2 has a bag against the frame and is bigger when fully expanded . The nomad doesn't have a bag against the frame.

Elkoholic307
02-13-2014, 03:59 PM

Camo has nothing to do with it. Why are you counting Eberlestock out? A lot of work went into those packs. Is it because they're camo?

crumy
02-13-2014, 06:58 PM

You are 100% correct that Kifaru, Kuiu and other bags that play in that level are pricey. Five years ago, I would have told you that you are crazy telling me that I should spend 800 bucks on a pack. Really not worth the money when hauling 40-60 lbs around on a backcountry hunt. But when you are successful and you are making a couple trips with 90 - 140 lbs, you will realize the difference. Actually you probably won't unless you have had the pleasure of using the other packs with the same amount of weight. But it is a matter of opinion and my shoulders and back tell me I made the right choice. It is hard to pay that much for something that you "might" get to use. Like I said, hauling 40-60 lbs is not using the pack.. I got my pack in April of 2013 and and started doing training hikes in the mountains around home (7200 feet) by August I was hauling around 70 lbs for 4 miles 5 days a week. Never felt better. Then I got to haul two loads of easily 120+ twice for almost 7 miles. My legs hurt, my feet hurt, but my back and shoulders were great. I don't consider myself old by any means (41) but I was very impressed. I am as cheap as they come about stuff so it hurt to pay that money.. now I wish I had done it sooner.

Those other packs are good too.. I am not saying they are not. But there is a difference in a Hiker and a Hunter. We treat stuff differently, we have different needs, different expectations. Just a fact. The elbers, kifaru, Kuius, are used and abused by lots of people. I personally have chosen a Kifaru pack. Why? Because during my research had the opportunity to look at a lot side by side. And I know for a fact that the small group of people that design those packs also use them and abuse them on a VERY regular basis and make improvements on what they find and what the users/customers say.. Other vendors do this too... so not trying to slight anyone.

So that is the difference in the Hunting specific packs and the general hiking pack.. functionality response to a specific market.. Will the general packs work.. YES... Will the highend hunting packs work better? YES...... So you just have to decide what you want.

weigand
02-13-2014, 07:31 PM
So I guess the point of that statement was to just let people know not to count out regular multiday backpacking packs. I didn't mean to offend any Kifaru/Kuiu/Eberlestock users. They are just as rugged and tough multiday hunting packs and generally cheaper.

However, they aren't specialized like a hunting pack. You won't find REI making a bow or rifle scabbard sewn in. To pack out I just put my clothes/camp gear in a black garbage bag and that keeps them blood free once the blood soaks through the game bags.

Depending on the hunt I also use a decent plastic sled (I mentioned this in another thread) when backpacking and hunt from a base camp. I leave the sled at camp and hike back to grab it. Makes it nice to get that buck out in one load, works just fine in dry trail conditions, and takes some weight off your back.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-13-2014, 07:46 PM
weigand,

There are some recreational backpacking packs that may do alright as a hunting pack, but as the other said, they aren't made for hunting. I am glad your osprey is working for you. I can assure you it was not made for hauling "pack-out" type loads (120 lb. plus). If you don't believe me, call Osprey and ask them what loads they recommend for your pack.

The premium packs (Kifaru, SG, Mystery Ranch, etc.) were, and they will do it with surprising comfort. They are also built to a higher level of durability. You could throw them off a cliff.

I think it is fine to try to make one work, but that is not what they were made to do.

wolftalonID
02-13-2014, 08:20 PM
I Love my Kelty meat hauler frame for packing out elk quarters... Amazing harness and very very flexible for your personal body frame.

I have used an Eberlestock sling shot for 8 years now, and I am looking at a new day pack for my archery hunts. I love the pack for a minimalist approach, but have to be VERY creative when I shed layers as to where to store them!!! Lol

I want a hip belt with molle for a pistol, and a pack that works...haven't found one yet that has both in my books.....why cant these guys make a hip belt with molle pouches for those of us who don't need hip fanny pouches for odd gear? That way real men can remove these stupid things and strap on some hard wear to their pack!

weigand
02-13-2014, 09:17 PM
I want a hip belt with molle for a pistol, and a pack that works...haven't found one yet that has both in my books.....why cant these guys make a hip belt with molle pouches for those of us who don't need hip fanny pouches for odd gear? That way real men can remove these stupid things and strap on some hard wear to their pack!

right? A .44 mag attachment would be awesome! I'm sure someone one on here has made one

Bitterroot Bulls:
Yeah I looked it up and my pack is rated for 85lbs. 120lbs may be pushing it. Do any of the hunting companies offer custom molded hip belts and custom internal frames with purchase? Most specialty backpack shops offer this for upper end ospreys and a few other brands I believe. Makes for a darn comfortable pack.

In the end its like debating a Remington 870 versus a benelli vinci, they both can kill birds (or haul meat in this case) it just depends on the person and how you use it!

crumy
02-13-2014, 09:41 PM
I didn't mean to offend any Kifaru/Kuiu/Eberlestock users.

I didn't mean to come across like you offended me. I was just trying to express the fact that the "hunting" packs have a specific function that meets the needs that the regular packs don't. I am not as eloquent as BB.

Any pack can carry, some just do certain things better than others. Each person has a different need.

Grantbvfd
02-13-2014, 10:38 PM
In the end its like debating a Remington 870 versus a benelli vinci, they both can kill birds (or haul meat in this case) it just depends on the person and how you use it!

Perfect analogy. It is all personal preference. Just like some swear by a 243 for elk and others say you need a 300. Its all what works for you. Unfortunately it isn't real easy to try a Kifaru bag before you buy one. Unless you find someone with one in your area. You send them your measurements and they are built to order.

Don K
02-14-2014, 01:50 AM
You mean to tell me my new pack I just purchased wont cut it?8099

wapiti66
02-14-2014, 06:48 AM
You mean to tell me my new pack I just purchased wont cut it?8099

Don K that sweet Shellhead will do just find for the minimalist approach. Just plan on taking a few more trips to get all the meat out with the limited space. I really think the original intent of that particular pack was to deter grizzlies from attacking, they are very afraid of turtles.

25contender
02-14-2014, 07:47 AM
I have a Kelty RedCloud 110 and a Eberlestock J34. I like them both but prefer the Eberlestock for hunting trips. It is a pretty good pack in pack but compresses nicely for a daypack one all the camping gear is setup.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Perfect analogy. It is all personal preference.

I see the analogy, but disagree.

A premium hunting pack is objectively better for hunting uses. It has a real advantage in capabilities; specifically load rating, and durability. The premium hunting pack has these advantages regardless of the user.

The personal preference comes in on whether or not the user wants to, or will, make use of these advantages.

However, the user still needs to fit the pack. Luckily, most premium hunting packs are much more versatile in fit, including a lot of custom options.

Grantbvfd
02-14-2014, 08:51 AM

A premium hunting pack is objectively better for hunting uses. It has a real advantage in capabilities; specifically load rating, and durability. The premium hunting pack has these advantages regardless of the user.

The personal preference comes in on whether or not the user wants to, or will, make use of these advantages.

However, the user still needs to fit the pack. Luckily, most premium hunting packs are much more versatile in fit, including a lot of custom options.

Would you say thay the kuiu icon pack has these advantages as well? The frames are having issues breaking under heavy loads. So this knocks out your last two advantages.

I do agree with you bb, but bottom line is people are going to use what they want to use. There are some pretty heavy duty backpacking packs. Are they built to haul 120 lbs? I haven't called and asked but the arc'teryx bora or ultra and the rei xt 85 can carry that load. It isn't as comfortable as a high end hunting pack but that is my opinion.

I understand that it is most likely because one pack is being used for what its intended use is and one isn't. If thats what someone has and it's working for them, more power to them. Do I agree with you that there are better options out there? Absolutely

Bitterroot Bulls
02-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Would you say thay the kuiu icon pack has these advantages as well? The frames are having issues breaking under heavy loads. So this knocks out your last two advantages.

I do agree with you bb, but bottom line is people are going to use what they want to use. There are some pretty heavy duty backpacking packs. Are they built to haul 120 lbs? I haven't called and asked but the arc'teryx bora or ultra and the rei xt 85 can carry that load. It isn't as comfortable as a high end hunting pack but that is my opinion.

I understand that it is most likely because one pack is being used for what its intended use is and one isn't. If thats what someone has and it's working for them, more power to them. Do I agree with you that there are better options out there? Absolutely

I still have a 2011 Kuiu Icon 6000. It hasn't broke or had any durablitiy issues for me, and my hunting partner got a lot of use out of it this year. I think it does have advantages over a backpacking specific pack, but not the same advantages as the other premium hunting packs.

My Icon has a lot of features with the hunter in mind, and those are its advantages over a non-hunting pack.

The issue with my Icon is it was not designed with the extreme load capabilities or "throw off a cliff" durability in mind, like the other packs I mentioned. Keep in mind the Icon has gone through significant changes since my generation 1 pack, and the newer packs may have remedied these issues. If I get one to test, I will see.

I agree completely that people will use what they want to use, but the idea that premium packs offer only extra shine, and no real advantage over backpacking packs is incorrect, IMO.

weigand
02-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Lets see some photos of these packs at work!- day trip thanksgiving morning buck, Madison Valley, MT

OR
a new question- how much weight do people generally carry on a overnight, and a 3 to 4 day day trip, or 4+. I try and keep it around 45lbs.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Nice pic, weigand!

I shot my first buck many years ago in the Gravellys.

Here I am hauling around a trophy in the Kifaru Bikini:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/mcashell/DSC_2644_zps65b3615c.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/mcashell/media/DSC_2644_zps65b3615c.jpg.html)

Ikeepitcold
02-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Nice pic, weigand!

I shot my first buck many years ago in the Gravellys.

Here I am hauling around a trophy in the Kifaru Bikini:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/mcashell/DSC_2644_zps65b3615c.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/mcashell/media/DSC_2644_zps65b3615c.jpg.html)

Awesome BB I used to do that with my daughter before she got to big. It's a great workout and a good way to get the pack broke in.

Timberstalker
02-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm embarrased to tell you all what I use. But here it goes, I have a "Allen" pack frame witha "TC" pack bunjee corded to it. It is an awefull set up! When on my last hunt I carried it it weighed 40 lbs on average just carrying what I needed for the day. I have since bought a Eberlystock X2 and cannot wait to try it out!

My set up packing out camp and just the head 75lbs

tttoadman
02-14-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm embarrased to tell you all what I use. But here it goes, I have a "Allen" pack frame witha "TC" pack bunjee corded to it. It is an awefull set up! When on my last hunt I carried it it weighed 40 lbs on average just carrying what I needed for the day. I have since bought a Eberlystock X2 and cannot wait to try it out!

My set up packing out camp and just the head 75lbs

Using that pack will help keep you in better shape. I would sell that light pack you just got, and keep using the old stuff.

If we go on a hunt together, I will also help with your conditioning by loading some of my stuff in your pack.

BTW..............That ribbon still scares me. The trigger happies will see those antlers long before they ever see that ribbon or your head.

crumy
02-14-2014, 02:08 PM
8115 8116

With pack on that was day 4 of a 10 day hunt. More bulky than heavy.. Around 80 lbs on the ground.. more heavy than bulky.. about 120 lbs

Bitterroot Bulls
02-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Nice bull crumy!

crumy
02-14-2014, 02:13 PM
That is my wife's. She shot it and I hauled it. (doesn't seem fair) :) Check out page 96 in the recent Elk Hunter Magazine.. Upper Left hand corner. Karen Crum. I submitted it and didn't tell her... It made her day when I opened up the mag and she saw it.

Timberstalker
02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Using that pack will help keep you in better shape. I would sell that light pack you just got, and keep using the old stuff.

If we go on a hunt together, I will also help with your conditioning by loading some of my stuff in your pack.

BTW..............That ribbon still scares me. The trigger happies will see those antlers long before they ever see that ribbon or your head.

Hey thenks ttt, load me up! As far as the ribbon, the pack out was in the neigboring unit, no season at the time there. High Cascde buck, I came in from the east.

Timberstalker
02-14-2014, 02:22 PM
That is my wife's. She shot it and I hauled it. (doesn't seem fair) :) Check out page 96 in the recent Elk Hunter Magazine.. Upper Left hand corner. Karen Crum. I submitted it and didn't tell her... It made her day when I opened up the mag and she saw it.

That's cool crumy, nice bull!

Bitterroot Bulls
02-14-2014, 02:22 PM

I just received that mag a couple days ago. I will check it out when I get home!

wolftalonID
02-14-2014, 02:48 PM
8119I use this for packing out.
And I use this for not needing to carry camp!!

Never in Doubt
02-14-2014, 04:24 PM
I looked around for packs last year and was scared away from some nice ones based on the fact that I'm so tall(6'5"+) The Cabelas Outfitter pack that I got fit well, but under an extreme load the strap going across the chest came off. I like the looks and everything I've heard from Eberlestock X2 though. If any other tall guys have some input on packs that have worked for them I'm all ears!

WapitiBob
02-14-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm 6'4 and use a Kifaru. Tallest packs out there are Kifaru at 26" and maybe Stone Glacier at about the same height. I've never seen a working Eberlestock but lots of people don't worry about lifters. Depends whether you want lifters or not.
KUIU is 25" and they have a new one for 2014. No surprise there but it's priced at $350 supposedly and weighs about 3 1/2#. Might be worth a look see.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-15-2014, 08:32 AM
I have spent a lot of time with Eberlestock packs too. This was a miserable SOB of a packout:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/mcashell/046ehj.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/mcashell/media/046ehj.jpg.html)

I love eberlestock's features and build quality. I also think they offer a lot of value. However, comfort for a long, heavy packout is lacking compared to the premium packs we talked about in the thread earlier.

Fat Daddy
02-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Recently purchased a Tenzing TZ6000. Got a good price and snapped it up. Doing a pack in hunt for archery blacktail here in Ca. in August, so that will be my 1st experience with it. I really liked the zip away meat compartment, so that had a big influence on my purchase.

grenhdkilr
03-02-2014, 05:12 AM
Tenzing 6000. Very comfortable.
x2 Tenzing is a great pack

woodtick
03-02-2014, 12:50 PM
I love eberlestock's features and build quality. I also think they offer a lot of value. However, comfort for a long, heavy packout is lacking compared to the premium packs we talked about in the thread earlier.

I can concur the same Bitterroot, I think Eberlestock makes some great stuff, but when it comes to extreme loads, I'll be using my MR Metcalf. My Blue Widow was a great pack but about killed me when I got anything over 80lbs in it. I hope to try a Stone Glacier soon, but I love my Metcalf so much it's hard for me to justify the SC.

RUTTIN
03-02-2014, 04:57 PM
I just got my MR Metcalf a few weeks ago, and loaded it up today. Wow, I could not believe how comfortable it was compared to my Eberle Blue Widow. I liked the Blue Widow for day hunts but loaded up a little it was not very comfortable.

D.Turvey, Jr
03-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Eberlestock Blue Widow. I carried out 105 pounds of cow elk meat (my buddies) and my gear the first week of January this year and the Blue Widow performed like a champ! I was very impressed.

RockChucker30
03-05-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm 6'4 and use a Kifaru. Tallest packs out there are Kifaru at 26" and maybe Stone Glacier at about the same height. I've never seen a working Eberlestock but lots of people don't worry about lifters. Depends whether you want lifters or not.
KUIU is 25" and they have a new one for 2014. No surprise there but it's priced at $350 supposedly and weighs about 3 1/2#. Might be worth a look see.

Paradox had a 28" frame. Most external frames will be 28-36" depending on whether the top bar is removed or not.

RockChucker30
03-05-2014, 01:06 PM

I somewhat disagree with your findings BB. I've had most of the top end hunting packs, and found several of them didn't work well for me. I've had some other non-hunting packs that worked very well.

The Kelty Cache Hauler is still the second most comfortable pack I've tested with 100 + lbs. A $900 custom McHale is probably third, and a 1996 era Bozeman made Arcflex framed Dana Stillwater is fourth, but close enough to the McHale for me that there is no way I'd pay $700 extra for one. You can pick up a good used Alpine, Terraplane, or Stillwater on craigslist or Ebay for $150-250. I had a Canadian made Bora 70 that I did not like at all, and the Badlands and Eberlestock packs I had I thought had good features but were not built to haul heavy loads. I had a LOT of packs from top end hunting makers and none of them hauled heavy weight like I wanted. They are built durable enough to last through many packouts, but I found the comfort lacking.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Nathan,

First, I don't consider Eberlestock or Badlands in the Premium Hunting Pack category, both in price and performance. At least not the models I have used so far, as I have referred to earlier in the thread. I am hopeful new models address the load-bearing comfort.

I guess I should have qualified my statement with the disclaimer that there are exceptions, and some specific models of backpacking packs do haul heavy loads, but they are the exception, and most mainstream backpacking packs are not designed to haul hunting pack-out loads, which makes sense, because there is no need for a backpacker to carry that kind of weight.

So I guess we pretty much agree. I have also had good luck with the Kelty Cache Hauler, and I am excited to see it offered with hunting features in the Slumberjack Tactical/Hunting line for 2014.

woodtick
03-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Even the premium pack companies have packs that don't do well with heavy loads, my MR with the longbow bag on it doesn't have any load lifting capabilities, thats the main reason they started making the lift kit for it. Now the Metcalf, 6500 and 7500 are another story, they are some great packs and can handle a ton of weight, my favorite picture is with Bryan Martin and the moose horns on a 6500 and it looks like there is 150+ lbs in it. I'd never consider a Bandland's a premium pack after there reputation of blowing the seams, horrible zippers and shoddy CS. Eberelstock on the other hand does make great packs, they just don't handle heavy loads as well.

Eric Hunter
03-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Your small light day pack is all you need. Use your game cart to pack in your camp and all your gear.... Use it again to pack out your meat and camp...
Eric.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Your small light day pack is all you need. Use your game cart to pack in your camp and all your gear.... Use it again to pack out your meat and camp...
Eric.

works like a champ when you can get a game cart to where you hunt and camp!

RockChucker30
03-07-2014, 07:08 AM
And when you're not in a wilderness area where wheels aren't allowed.

I do like game carts in the right conditions. I used one to take a buck over a fence this last fall, helping to make a very difficult recovery a bit easier.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/azymadap.jpg

It was a year for difficult recoveries...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/pupyny3u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArmyArcher
03-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Neat pics of a wheel cart in action. Not sure I'd every seen a fence crossing with a wheel cart before. X2 on the wheel restriction issue in wilderness areas. Where we hunted in AZ last year, no wheeled vehicles permitted of any type...

Last season was my first pack in hunt and used the TZ6000. One of my buddies had the same pack and our third partner is considering hte 5000 or 6000 for our elk hunt in CO this year. Very versatile and packs well. Little on heavy side to start off but for me as you reach the 60-70# pack weight, plus or minus 3-5# doesn't impact me.

Liked this pack so much, I found some good deals and added the TZ1250 lumbar pack and TZ1140 strap pack which I may strap on to the 6000 to use as the daily pack.

swampokie
03-16-2014, 06:28 PM
I've got a pack from Walmart that is around 2500si and paid 50 dollars for it. Packed an elk a mulie and 2 whitetails with it so far. Works great for me

firebeck
03-22-2014, 10:25 PM
If I could afford a quality hunting pack and if I know I would have the time to use it I would buy one. However in my situation I can only afford one pack for all my hunting and summer backpacking so I have a Kelty and I love it. Have only hauled one doe out about 1.5 miles. It is noisier than I would like but it is comfortable. Maybe someday..........sigh:)

jamiepolito
04-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Eberlestock is I'm packing a rifle or Badlands if it's the bow!

swmoelk
04-09-2014, 09:43 AM
I use a mountainsmith apex 100 liter. At 6100 ci it's plenty big for a 7 day outing. It's fairly light and handles 80# like a champ. It's just a black backpacking pack but serves me well. Very comfortable and adjustable. Oh and affordable as well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DanPickar
04-17-2014, 01:06 PM
The new Eberlestock F1 Mainframe is awesome. Very lightweight (just over 4 lbs with bag attached) and can do anything that any other pack on the market can do at a fraction of the cost. And there is no skimping on quality, thats for sure. Check out the next issue of EBJ...myself and Jordan did a review on this pack. I will definitely be using it this fall.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IMrNjotH_v4/U1A43ZORa7I/AAAAAAAAABU/5VHxYZ8Y7BI/w385-h577-no/jordan.jpg

Drhorsepower
04-17-2014, 02:31 PM
My nomad came in a few days ago. I really like it so far.

Boehunter
04-19-2014, 03:46 AM
I have an eberlestock X2 i really like it great day pack could be used on an overnighter. And then i just picked up the sitka bivy 45 havent used it yet but got it for about half off so figured i would try it.

Hycntryhtr
04-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Eberlestock blue widow.. Heavy but you don't mind it when you can pack enough in it to turn 4 trips into 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gypsumreaper
04-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I have the blue widow as well, I use mine as a day pack as well as a pack in pack it doesn't bother me plus I have enough room for all my day stuff, survival stuff an if I kill something I got that room to turn it into a pack out instead of a hard trip with a quarter over my shoulder, or tied onto a regular day pack

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

kevin_T
04-27-2014, 02:58 PM
I use some variation of a Paradox set up all the time, granted I was very involved in the design

25contender
04-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Changing it up this year sold all my other packs and went will be packing the Kifaru Dt1 with the Bikini frame. Received it and have already made a full pack 4 miler and all I can say is it is a superb pack.At least compared to my other packs.

Team Kabob
05-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Just picked up a Eberlestock pack for this fall. Holds the bow and rifle great.

buzz mc
05-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Rei XT85

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/IMAG0124_zps532c88e4.jpg (http://s165.photobucket.com/user/buzzmcmanus/media/IMAG0124_zps532c88e4.jpg.html)

Team Kabob
05-13-2014, 09:56 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/gevu2aze.jpg