PDA

View Full Version : Senate vote on Background checks

shootbrownelk
04-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Is anybody following the Senate vote today? Frow what I've read it's a gun grabbers delight. The bill that's being presented by the 2 dimwit Senators was supposedly written by Senator Chuck (gimmie your guns) Schumer. I e-mailed both of my senators and told them to kill the bill & support our second ammendment rights, I hope everyone here did the same!

JMSZ
04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Is anybody following the Senate vote today? Frow what I've read it's a gun grabbers delight. The bill that's being presented by the 2 dimwit Senators was supposedly written by Senator Chuck (gimmie your guns) Schumer. I e-mailed both of my senators and told them to kill the bill & support our second ammendment rights, I hope everyone here did the same!

I'd e-mail my senator, but it wouldn't do much good. She's driving the gimmie your guns train.

Colorado Cowboy
04-11-2013, 03:53 PM
I watched to vote on cspan! Remember this is only a vote to see if the Senate will debate the bill, not on the bill itself.

wolftalonID
04-11-2013, 11:34 PM
JMSZ, that is precisely why you need to email or call her. They were voted in by the people to do the will of the people. They were not voted into office to do what the hell they want to do.
We the people need to remember WE run the government and remind them of that too. Speak up. One voice adds up. I know. My voice made a difference. The voice of one to get politics moving and now we can hunt wolfs, and our hunters reports are not legally public record. Your voice may be a great start. Speak up and be the voice she needs to hear.

shootbrownelk
04-12-2013, 07:20 AM
JMSZ, that is precisely why you need to email or call her. They were voted in by the people to do the will of the people. They were not voted into office to do what the hell they want to do.
We the people need to remember WE run the government and remind them of that too. Speak up. One voice adds up. I know. My voice made a difference. The voice of one to get politics moving and now we can hunt wolfs, and our hunters reports are not legally public record. Your voice may be a great start. Speak up and be the voice she needs to hear.

Yeah...E-mail or phone Her....Be a PEST!

Eberle
04-12-2013, 08:11 AM
+3 Let your voice be heard!

Eberle
04-12-2013, 08:41 AM
For all of you Okies out there contact our Senator Coburn at 202-224-5754. I've done called him. Wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone on this forum to list our State Senators contact info. We are all in this together. United We Stand! Divided We Fall! It is our God Given Right to Bear Arms! Our Soldiers fight & die for our Freedom. I will not sit here & remain silent. If I go down it will be swinging! Remember they work for us & remember to ask God to help us. To restore our Nation, to make her what she was in the day of George Washington. When our leaders got on their knees & seeked guidance from God! Stand up & fight! I've got 4 children & I don't want see them loose their liberties one at a time! It is time to let our voice be heard!

JMSZ
04-14-2013, 01:27 AM

I understand the sentiment, but we're dealing with Feinstein and Boxer.

When Feinstein was the mayor of San Francisco, she pushed through a city ordinance banning the ownership of guns within city limits. Her lawyers told her that she had no legal authority to do so and the law was struck down by a court again because she had no legal authority to do so.

So, she has made it plainly clear that she doesn't care what the law or anybody says, she's going to do whatever she wants to do.

Half this state belongs to the "You poor, silly, ignorant creature, you obviously don't how to take care of yourself, so we'll do it for you" crowd and Feinstein's gun ban ideas are right up their alley.

I sent an e-mail back in January or February and asked her if the part in her bill about registering all banned weapons was going to be accomplished by sending law enforcement door-to-door. I also asked for a response from the Senator, even if it was dictated to an aide, instead of a form letter.

Haven't heard anything back on that yet and I don't really expect a form letter, let alone anything else.

If you guys have any sway with your senators, by all means, take advantage of it and maybe even remind them that 50% of the population of California (and a few other states) is effectively silenced on this issue precisely because our senators choose to ignore us.

packer58
04-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Received this e-mail update today from the NRA,

Statement from Chris W. Cox on U.S. Senate Defeat of Manchin-Toomey-Schumer Amendment

Today, the misguided Manchin-Toomey-Schumer proposal failed in the U.S. Senate. This amendment would have criminalized certain private transfers of firearms between honest citizens, requiring lifelong friends, neighbors and some family members to get federal government permission to exercise a fundamental right or face prosecution. As we have noted previously, expanding background checks, at gun shows or elsewhere, will not reduce violent crime or keep our kids safe in their schools.

The NRA will continue to work with Republicans and Democrats who are committed to protecting our children in schools, prosecuting violent criminals to the fullest extent of the law, and fixing our broken mental health system. We are grateful for the hard work and leadership of those Senators who chose to pursue meaningful solutions to our nation’s most pressing problems.

BKC
04-18-2013, 06:03 AM
It did my heart good to see that whinny presdident of ours blame everybody else except his party for the failure of this ammendment. Blaming the NRA and all of its efforts. Blaming others for the lies that were spread. I guess he ought to know about lieing! Thankyou NRA

Colorado Cowboy
04-18-2013, 07:26 AM
The thing to remember is they will never give up, neither will we! With all the BS going on here at the state level, it is easy to lose focus on the big picture. I recently sent another check to the NRA-ILA to help with this continuing battle. Here in Colorado, we need to really get our 2 Senators out.

shootbrownelk
04-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Right you are Cowboy. This is no time to "Bask in the Glow" of Victory. The gun-grabbing Democrats & RINO's will be back. As will our current lame duck president O'Bummer and Crazy uncle Joe Biden. Who knows what's in their bag of dirty tricks?Don't rule out "Presidential Decrees" either...or tacked on ammendments. Like O'Bama said, this isn't the end...it's just the beginning!

JMSZ
04-18-2013, 08:26 AM
There is something that still stumps me with this whole debate.

There are reams of data to back up the fact that what the anti-gunners propose doesn't work.

Case in point is Schumer's claim that a concealed carry law proposed for New Your would turn the state into the OK Corral. That exact same line was used when Florida and Michigan had ballots up to become shall-issue states. Both states became shall-issue and neither state has had a problem.

Yet, not a single Republican, NRA member or anybody else mentions that or asks Schumer to provide evidence.

Same kind of thing when Michael Bloomberg said that the NRA and others pushed to legalize carry on Amtrak and that tool said that it was because people were worried about train robberies back in the 1800s. The reality was that taking a gun on an Amtrak train was the same as taking one on an airplane, i.e., unloaded, locked in a case, no ammunition, so a person with a carry permit couldn't legally carry their weapon loaded and on their person from point A to point B on an Amtrak train.

Same thing, though, nobody calls him on it.

I have to give senator Cruz from Texas big kudos for taking Feinstein to task, unfortunately, the big new organizations don't bother to air little tidbits like that or the one of Feinstein saying that she'd confiscate every firearm if she could get the votes.

ID_MW
04-18-2013, 06:24 PM
If you haven't read the bill, you might want to take a look at it. I know it was voted down, and that is fine. Pages 12-14 are some of the most important, as they protect the right of family ownership and transfer of firearms, and the rights of responsible hunters and trappers to use firearms in the field. You can be your own judge. There is no language in the bill requiring any sort of forfeiture of firearms. I hope we never see a day when the second amendment is fundamentally challenged. http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2013/03/22/Senate_gun_bill.pdf

Colorado Cowboy
04-18-2013, 08:03 PM
These ammendments were put forth to entice those who were against the bill to vote for it.

DryFlyGuy
04-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Got an email from John Tester telling my why he voted for the bill. I've got to believe his constituents in Montana will remember that vote next time his term is up.

Musket Man
04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
I was sure glad to see it didnt pass! Im sure there is alot more coming but if we keep fighting we can beat them too.

JMSZ
04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
I actually got an e-mail back from "Diane Feinstein" yesterday. It wasn't a form letter, but it had the guts of a form letter "Dear Mr. JMSZ, thank you for your comments, I welcome the opportunity to tell you what I think about this issue."

That was literally the initial response, followed by a couple of paragraphs about mass killings and how guns are bad, etc.

She didn't bother to answer the question I asked her about whether she expected law enforcement to conduct searches of homes to accomplish the registration of grandfathered "assault weapons".

JMSZ
04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
If you haven't read the bill, you might want to take a look at it. I know it was voted down, and that is fine. Pages 12-14 are some of the most important, as they protect the right of family ownership and transfer of firearms, and the rights of responsible hunters and trappers to use firearms in the field. You can be your own judge. There is no language in the bill requiring any sort of forfeiture of firearms. I hope we never see a day when the second amendment is fundamentally challenged. http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2013/03/22/Senate_gun_bill.pdf

Count on them trying to get it in somewhere. What seriously irks me at this point is that they will sneak it in somewhere and then some poor guy is going to be forced to drag a court case all the way to the Supreme Court to have the law ruled as being un-Constitutional and Feinstein.

What I want to see happen is politicians and bureaucrats being forced to prove that the government has the Constitutional authority to pass a law in the first place and facing jail time if they don't and it is later determined that there was no authority.

They infringe upon the rights of people and force people and courts to waste huge amounts of time and money fighting these laws, but then get walk away as if nothing happened.

wolftalonID
04-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Well for those of you who have not yet taken the time. Remember to email your senators and thank them for voting no.....or chastise them for voting yes for this bill. Try to sound more rational than a scowling lip hanging low arms crossed Bidden when doing so because we don't need to look like whiners who want to take their ball and go home. We need to be firm in reminding them who they work for not control. Be sure we are expressing our great excitement that our rights were protected by the ones we trust to see to it every year!

Musket Man
04-20-2013, 10:19 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/gun-lobbys-fanaticism-prevails-over-common-sense-050029840.html

Im not even sure what to say about this article on yahoo but its enough to tick anyone off. I dont know how they can keep saying internet sales are not regulated. I have bought several guns recently off gun broker and guns america and all had to go through a local FFL dealer and go through a background check. 2 times my federal background check was delayed. The 1 time it was cleared instantly I had to wait to be cleared by my local sheriff because it was a pistol and my CPL hadnt come in the mail yet. The last time I had my CPL and was still delayed. None of the guns I bought were made after 1925 and I am a combat vetran with no record. Also some poles I saw where 90% of americans want gun control were surveys of like 1500 people. If they surveyed 1500 people from another part of the country Im sure atleast 90% would be against it.

wolftalonID
04-20-2013, 10:23 AM
:pWell the problem with poles....they are good for two things...barb wire and strippers. Politicians and reports get that confused a lot but I am not at all surprised!