PDA

View Full Version : North American Super Slam

Umpqua Hunter
04-13-2013, 12:06 AM
A friend of mine were talking about the North American Super Slam (30 animals). www.superslam.org

The following animals are recognized.

1. Alaska Brown Bear
2. Black Bear
3. Grizzly Bear
4. Polar Bear
5. Cougar
6. Columbia Blacktail Deer
7. Coues Deer
8. Mule Deer
9. Sitka Blacktail Deer
10. Whitetail Deer
11. Rocky Mountain Elk
12. Roosevelt Elk
13. Tule Elk
14. Barren Ground Caribou
15. Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou
16. Mountain Caribou
17. Quebec Labrador Caribou
18. Woodland Caribou
19. Alaska Yukon Moose
20. Canada Moose
21. Shiras Moose
22. Bison
23. Muskox
24. American Mountain Goat
25. Pronghorn Antelope
26. California Bighorn Sheep
27. Dall Sheep
28. Desert Bighorn Sheep
29. Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
30. Stone Sheep

How are you doing on this list? What are your goals?

hardstalk
04-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Would be fun to dream about but my pockets would be empty after a handful of those hunts.

Fink
04-13-2013, 08:05 AM
It would take a ton of coin to get that list done. Every single one of those hunts that a guy couldn't do on his own would have outfitter fees in excess of $15,000

Colorado Cowboy
04-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Lots of animals on the list I really couln't care less about shooting. Musk Ox, any of the bears (already shot a black bear), couger are the ones that really don't have any appeal for me. Just me, thats all. Same thing, I really have no desire to go to Africa either.

CrimsonArrow
04-13-2013, 09:45 AM
I've got 8,10,11,17,and 20 with a bow, and 2,6, and 25 are just a matter of time. Like Hardstalk said, it takes mucho dinero to take a slam.

packmule
04-13-2013, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't mind getting all the deer, elk, moose, sheep & goat......toss in a few wolves in the mix on some of those hunts and it would be a blast

ivorytip
04-13-2013, 11:11 AM
i gat my super slam at dennys last night:cool:

Colorado Cowboy
04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Bet it was a lot cheaper too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umpqua Hunter
04-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Bet it was a lot cheaper too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha...you beat me to it.

AKaviator
04-13-2013, 12:15 PM
It would be a long wait to get a tag for several on the list and you still may not be able to bring your polar bear home.

C.C., you might rethink your interest of muskox if you'd eaten some...as tasty as any on the list! I'm yet to draw that tag though but have had friends give me some of theirs.

Most of those are too rich for my budget, too steep for my knees or too exotic for my tastes. I would like a coues deer someday though.

Umpqua Hunter
04-13-2013, 12:18 PM
It would be a long wait to get a tag for several on the list and you still may not be able to bring your polar bear home.

C.C., you might rethink your interest of muskox if you'd eaten some...as tasty as any on the list! I'm yet to draw that tag though but have had friends give me some of theirs.

Most of those are too rich for my budget, too steep for my knees or too exotic for my tastes. I would like a coues deer someday though.

My interest in Coues has really been growing as well.

Drhorsepower
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
I have interest in 21 of the list. Probably make 10 in my lifetime:)

Umpqua Hunter
04-13-2013, 01:35 PM
I'd still like to hunt whitetail deer, never have, but I'll likely kill my first this fall....a Columbia whitetail here near home.

I'd also like to draw a California Bighorn Sheep tag here in Oregon or Nevada.

Those little Coues deer have been catching my eye too, problem is (a good problem) I've got max deer points in Arizona and have to just stick with applying for the Strip until I draw....after that...COUES!

I really have had no interest in hunting brown bear or bison until this past year, but they are growing on me.

Drhorsepower
04-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Uh,
What about chasing a coues with a bow in January? Or New Mexico?

Umpqua Hunter
04-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Uh,
What about chasing a coues with a bow in January? Or New Mexico?

Hmmmmm mayyyyybeeee

JEandAsGuide
04-13-2013, 04:46 PM
When I was in high school I had big dreams. All the deer, a sheep, a mountain goat, a elk, a moose, a caribou, a pronghorn and maybe a bear. Have a long ways to go since I still only have a whitetail. Hope to change that this fall. As long as my wife stays happy I hope to get the deer, pronghorn and elk, the rest are still dreams.

NDHunter
04-13-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm getting really close to completing it. I'm currently at 4.

Ikeepitcold
04-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Hmmmmm mayyyyybeeee

Sounds more like yeeeesssss

bdjmtn
04-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Would love to do the Super Slam but will be trying for the Super Ten with my bow. Does a female harvested count towards a slam

HuskyMusky
04-13-2013, 06:53 PM
while there are 30+ animals allowed, I believe 29 are required... now there is a NA10 and NA25 I believe.

I'm fairly young, my future goals include the NA10, I'd like to work towards this, and keep chasing the NA29.

The NA25 was created I think to help guys who can't manage to get a desert sheep, polar bear, stone sheep type animals...

Personally I'd rather take another trip out west for another variety of the 29 than another deer hunt, every year for the next 50years... although I still plan to hunt elk/deer often. I'd just like to chase the variety.

Technically I have, mule deer, black bear, antelope, so far.

Years ago I met one of the men who has done the slam with bow only! and he's a fairly avg working man... and it wasn't chuck adams.

I was actually a youngster when I met him, maybe 15? I loved hearing about him taking a big brown bear, 1200lbs with a bow! Perhaps that made me want to hunt big game!? more?

I recently had the thought of "life goals" and how rare something like this could be, or how special. Something that takes a lifetime to achieve and how special it would be to accomplish. To each their own of course. In my eyes for myself, it would be a major accomplishment.

I wonder just how many people in life set goals(particularly as youth or while still fairly young) and actually achieve them, especially ones that take 30+ years.

Drelk
04-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Let's see.

1. Antelope
2. Whitey
3. Mule deer
4. Rocky elk
5. Black bear
6. Brown bear
7. Bison
8. Shiras
9. Mtn goat
10. American alligator
11. Barren caribou

I think I need a sheep and a mountain lion and I will have like completed one of the half or entry level slams. Haven't checked in a while. So don't hold me to it

Will get my Wyoming sheep in the next couple years. Mtn lion soon.

If I have some good luck I might pick up a few more deer elk caribou moose species. Desert and stone probably not. Maybe a griz in Wyoming(very cool). Might be legal in a couple years.

like I told umpqua hunter. If I could get get my sorry butt out of Wyoming in September I could add some species. But September in the Rockies is my passion.

I still need a monster mule deer. I'm the worst mule deer hunter in the world

Most importantly my kids r 15-12-8. My son, the youngest, aptly named hunter, needs to learn to kill bulls with a bull. If I can help him do that all is good

quicknick
04-14-2013, 02:46 AM
I just want a sheep slam

Aught6Fan
04-14-2013, 09:03 AM
I've seen where Tom Miranda stated on another archery forum that it cost about $650K total (travel, tips, taxidermy, etc). Not sure how many, if any, animals he did DIY that counted towards his SS. He lives in south Florida, not a great variety of big game in that part of the country.

I'd love to do it, but too rich from my pocketbook!

NDHunter
04-14-2013, 10:01 AM
I've seen where Tom Miranda stated on another archery forum that it cost about $650K total (travel, tips, taxidermy, etc). Not sure how many, if any, animals he did DIY that counted towards his SS.

I'd be very surprised if he shot one animal without an outfitter. I can't stand that guy.

Umpqua Hunter
04-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Me friend's dad also did it with a bow. The first time I met him in Arizona he took me into his trophy room it was amazing. It was a completely separate building from the house with numerous life sized mounts.

ivorytip
04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
im happy hunting the animals in my backyard. hard time throwing money at those 10k$ hunts. just dont seem right. when i have a million i may change my mind though:cool:

wapiti66
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
If I hit the lottery I would pursue it with the bow. I can't think of a better hunting accomplishment. Until then I'm pretty limited as to how many of them I can get. (4 now)

hardstalk
04-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Ive created a few checklists I would like to complete.

1- trophy book worthy animal of every big game species in my home home state (nv)

1- solid 4x4 170" class mule deer from every state that offers mule deer.

1- solid mid or high 70" antelope from each state that offers antelope.

I see those as achievable some may be a long distance hunt ex. a Nebraska mule deer. But would be fun and at my current age (26) it would be obtainable if I chip away at it yearly. This year I plan to venture to Arizona for mule deer and possibly California if the stars align. No guarantee ill kill the first year in different states but thats the fun part.

tim
04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
For the goal oriented hunter it is a pretty neat thing.
The super 10 might be more attainable for most guys though.
There is a club out of alabama that is documenting these things. Both pros and cons to it.
superslam.org wich is a subsidary of the grand slam club\ovis or wildsheep.org

check it out.

llp
04-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I have 16 of the 30, so more than halfway, but no real interest in completing a slam. BTW, it has been 28 species for some time, and adding a few subspecies to reach 30 doesn't seem necessary.
I will never complete a slam due to lack of interest in several species, but will happily complete my 1/2 slam multiple times, God willing.
I don't mind hunting new species and trying new things, but I'm not about to just do what is on a list for self gratification, and will continue hunting the animals I want to hunt, as long as I can....
llp

Umpqua Hunter
04-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm at 17. Thank goodness for drawing 3 sheep tags. Also, for an awesome dad, since five of those came from my dad taking me to the Yukon after I graduated in engineering in the 80s.

I should add a whitetail (Columbia Whitetail near home) this fall. I'd still like to hunt Coues, Bison and California Bighorn.

My biggest goals are a B&C antelope (DIY), a 365+ elk (DIY), If I can draw another desert sheep tag which I should in Arizona, I'd be a Dall sheep away from a 2nd sheep slam.