PDA

View Full Version : Best NV Muley units

NVbowhnter
04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I was reading the MRS section and I was wondering which units, in your opinion are the best in the state as far as trophy quality?

Ikeepitcold
04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
The areas I know for trophys are all late hunts and most are very dependent on snow fall. Honestly there are trophy bucks in every unit of Nv.

NVbowhnter
04-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I usually apply for the 61-64,66-68 group of units but I live right next to the 194-196 units

NVbowhnter
04-14-2013, 08:27 PM
So I was wondering what you thought of them?

NVbowhnter
04-14-2013, 08:57 PM
I actually am still a junior so I can get the tag for all 3 seasons so which do you think is better for me if i want to do archery and rifle as a backup 61-64,66-68 or 194-196?

BigSurArcher
04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Whatever you can scout more, hands down. It's all about what you put into it... as with everything.

velvetfvr
04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
I hunt central Nv towards Ely. All hold good archery units and great bucks. Just got to find them. Usually there is a great buck in each unit. Especially during archery.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯

Drhorsepower
04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
TMI boys TMI

hardstalk
04-14-2013, 10:19 PM
TMI boys TMI

Saw this comin. :) check the count post fellas! We all have to put our time in on these forums for the good info. Ask again next year NV and I bet you get surprisingly different answers.

Ikeepitcold
04-14-2013, 11:28 PM
He has to draw the tag. And to find the bucks will take a lot of work. Haven't given any info he couldn't find with some looking here on the forum.

Agreed a bit much for a newbie.

Ikeepitcold
04-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Edited posts. Dang you guys don't have to yell at me jeez. :-)

cali_hornhunter
04-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Like BSA said scout research research prepare contact biologist do anything you can

Drhorsepower
04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Edited posts. Dang you guys don't have to yell at me jeez. :-)

Haha. Sorry buddy;) didn't mean it like that!

Ikeepitcold
04-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Haha. Sorry buddy;) didn't mean it like that!

Somtimes I say to much. Hahaahhahahahahhahahahhaha now I sound like my wife!

Musket Man
04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
I spent a good part of yesterday going over my Nevada units and getting my apps in so I didnt miss it by an hour like I did last year. With some kinda luck I should get an antelope or deer tag I think! I know mountain goat is not currently available to nonresidents but I thought we could still get a point for if they become available to us in the future but couldnt find anywhere to do that. I guess that means nonresidents will loose the points they currently have in 2 years. Not a huge deal since I only had 2 points but would be pretty upsetting if I had 10 or 15 points saved up

BigSurArcher
04-15-2013, 01:29 PM
My understanding is that as long as you apply for ANY species in the state and purchase the license, you will not lose points for species that you didn't apply for, even if the two years has passed.

I like my chances for both mule deer and archery antelope this year- assuming the tag numbers stay the same for mule deer that is.

Ikeepitcold
04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
My understanding is that as long as you apply for ANY species in the state and purchase the license, you will not lose points for species that you didn't apply for, even if the two years has passed.

I like my chances for both mule deer and archery antelope this year- assuming the tag numbers stay the same for mule deer that is.

I thought it was only for two years that you wouldn't loose points

tdub24
04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I thought it was only for two years that you wouldn't loose points

Your right IKIC,

"If an applicant is successful in drawing a tag for
a season for a species or category of a species or fails to
apply for a season for 2 consecutive calendar years during
which that type of hunt for a season is open, he loses all of
his bonus points for that species or category of a species."

Quoted from the 2013 Nevad Big Game Seasons and Application Regulations. You would think that since mountain goat is not offered to NR, the committee would allow the points to stay into affect until they are offered again. At that time the 2 consecutive calendar years rule would apply.

Musket Man
04-15-2013, 05:34 PM
"A hunter's bonus points revert to zero in a particular species category when he is successful at obtaining a tag or fails to apply for two consecutive years." http://www.ndow.org/Hunt/Regulations_Licenses_Tags_Permits/Tags/Bonus_points/

I take this to mean if you dont apply for a species for 2 consecutive years you loose your points for that species. I could be wrong. I think there will be alot of mad nonresidents if they all loose their points and a tag is offered again in a few years. Im going to check an a day or 2 and see if I can buy a point after the draw deadline and you can only get points.

Elkgetr2
05-28-2014, 06:38 PM
My buddy and I drew area 6 early archery this year. I will post how we do after the season!

Alabama
05-28-2014, 08:01 PM
"If an applicant is successful in drawing a tag for
a season for a species or category of a species or fails to
apply for a season for 2 consecutive calendar years during
which that type of hunt for a season is open, he loses all of
his bonus points for that species or category of a species."

They won't lose their points as there is no open season to apply for non-residents. I guess they just sit there until it opens back up.

JasonGNV
05-28-2014, 08:30 PM
ALL NV units have trophy potential! It's the finding the trophy which is hardest

Ikeepitcold
05-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Jason is rite. They are there it's just finding them. More then likely when you find units to try and get a tag in the better units will have low tag numbers and a ton of guys trying to get the tags. Chances are you won't be hunting every year. It can take 4-5 years to draw these tags but there are good trophy quality.

The other areas that are easy to draw will have a lot of hunters but most of them aren't out for the trophy they are out to fill their tag.

One of my favorite deer trophy area to hunt has a 3-1 odds of res drawing the unit and there are many tags available. I can hunt this area every year or every other. We have taken 5 180" bucks out of this area just because we get off the roads do some hiking and a ton of glassing. We watch hunters drive up and down the roads and never seen anything.

Elkgetr2
08-30-2014, 11:27 AM
My buddies Nevada buck this year. Rough scored him at 188 on the tailgate.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/30/6931d3672212d5471d12c436e7fbf235.jpg

ivorytip
08-30-2014, 01:59 PM
what unit elkgetr2? haha nice buck love those gaurds!

Drhorsepower
08-30-2014, 02:01 PM
what unit elkgetr2? haha nice buck love those gaurds!

Area 6. Nice deer.