PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunt

Airborne84
04-30-2013, 11:13 AM
I might have the chance to hunt moose in Idaho this year anywhere in the state. Do you need a guide and where would you hunt for moose in Idaho? If you were to do a guided hunt any recommendations?

groc426
04-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Your nothern units and your southeastern units would give you the best odds, but moose are all over the place. Have you looked here: IDFG Harvest Stats (http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats.aspx?season=controlled&game=moose&yr=2012#moose)

I used to not be able to step out into the woods without seeing a moose, but things have changed a bit in the past few years. I still see plenty of moose though, so I would say a guide is not necessary (plus I'm a DIY, cheapskate type of guy), but that all depends on your situation, desires, and hopes.

Good luck!

Ikeepitcold
04-30-2013, 04:55 PM
I pretty much agree. Every time I've hunted ID we always see moose. Even more then elk for a year to two. Southeastern ID is where I've hunted. Good luck on that hut. It should be a good time

IdahoMeatHunterHorseback
05-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Check out Soda Springs area.
Don't know if you're interested in Cow Moose, but the units along the eastern boarder of Idaho have plenty. And, because so many guys are in love with antlers, they are not that hard to draw. Plus,the nice thing about this is, while you hunt cows, you will get an idea where you want to draw for Bull Moose in the future. Idaho will allow you 1 Moose and 1 cow in your lifetime if you draw them.

Guy
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I would hunt in area 78 with a bow. I have seen a lot of nice bulls in there over the past few years. Good luck. -G

meathunter
05-10-2013, 09:43 PM
78 is a good unit to hunt. Wife & I have gotten a couple of cows from there. Units 66 & 69 have good populatons and some decent bulls, along with 63. I would DIY if you have time to do your own scouting, no need for guide.

When should the ID moose draw results post? I'm hoping for next week?

brownbear93
05-13-2013, 10:47 AM
I am hoping this is my year for an ID. moose tag;)

BossBrott
05-13-2013, 06:27 PM
I am hoping this is my year for an ID. moose tag;)

Good luck!

brownbear93
05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
I was hoping those ID. tags were gonna start showing up today online. No news yet any word on what day they may do the posting?