PDA

View Full Version : CO Bear questions

Brady
05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm planning an OTC rifle elk hunt (unit 751) in SW CO this Oct and was wondering if CO lets you buy a bear tag as well? If you kill a bear, what do you have to pack out? Meat? Hide? Head? Proof of sex?

Thanks for your help.

Brady

packer58
05-20-2013, 04:32 PM
To protect yourself and stay out of possible trouble read the Co. regs, that way there is no misunderstanding what you need to do to stay legal.

Colorado Cowboy
05-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Bear Regs start on page 52 of the current Big Game Brochure. You do have to present the head & hide to a CPW officer or the nearest CPW office for inspection and to have a seal attached within 5 days of kill.

Old Hunter
05-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Plus, all the edible meat. You're pretty much bringing out the whole bear. That's why I don't hunt for bear. Too much work.

Colorado Cowboy
05-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Plus, all the edible meat. You're pretty much bringing out the whole bear. That's why I don't hunt for bear. Too much work.

And they are not that great eating. Good jerky, but thats about it as far as I'm concerned.

Old Hunter
05-20-2013, 07:15 PM
There's some states that don't require you to take the meat. I guess they realize how bad it is. I'd rather eat an old boot.

packer58
05-20-2013, 11:11 PM
There's some states that don't require you to take the meat. I guess they realize how bad it is. I'd rather eat an old boot.

Edible bear meat is a touchy subject for sure, I have had great success with crock-pot roast, snack sticks and stew meat.

Old Hunter
05-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah, we all have different tastes. Some people love liver. It gags me. So, saying a certain meat taste good or bad is meaningless. You need to try it yourself.

packer58
05-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Yeah, we all have different tastes. Some people love liver. It gags me. So, saying a certain meat taste good or bad is meaningless. You need to try it yourself.

Well put Old Hunter...........Especially the liver part, i'm with ya on that one :(

Colorado Cowboy
05-21-2013, 07:17 AM

Liver is guts! I've eaten heart, its ok if your really hungry....but its still guts.

Old Hunter
05-21-2013, 08:40 AM
It's funny. When game meat hasn't been taken care of it taste like liver to me. Maybe it's been taken care of, but is just gamey.

When I see some guys say they've never had bad tasting meat. I ask them if they like liver. They almost always say yes.