PDA

View Full Version : Moose in unit 6

wolfman
05-24-2013, 11:19 AM
As I said in another thread I drew a Bull Moose tag for unit 6. Any one have any insight? It is a muzzleloader tag to boot. Thanks in advance!

Umpqua Hunter
05-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Congrats Wolfman

hardstalk
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Congrats and welcome to ef. 5

Ikeepitcold
05-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Very cool. Moose would be a awesome hunt. Good luck. 5

Muleys 24/7
05-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Lucky you! Wish I could help, Good luck and be sure to post pics

velvetfvr
05-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Very cool. Moose would be a awesome hunt. Good luck. 5

5, lol

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

wolfman
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
5, lol

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk �� ����
I assume that is my post count? Don't know.
Thanks guys!

CoHiCntry
05-24-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't have any specific info on unit 6 unfortunately. I hunted unit 7,8,191 last year. If you have general questions about moose hunting you can pm me. There are other guys on here that have hunted moose ( probably more than me) and could probably help you out too.

CoHiCntry
05-24-2013, 03:38 PM
As far as the "5" thing... don't sweat it. It's just a bunch of Nevada nuts going crazy waiting for draw results! :p

wolfman
05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks COHiCntry. I have never hunted Moose before so this will be a new experience for me. I am looking forward to it. Open to any and all advice. Thanks for the explanation on the "5" deal.

CoHiCntry
05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
PM sent...

wolfman
06-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Went and scouted the unit this past weekend and figure we saw around 2% of the unit population-going off the prior year's population estimate-some look promising. We shall see.

HiMtnHnter
06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Went and scouted the unit this past weekend and figure we saw around 2% of the unit population-going off the prior year's population estimate-some look promising. We shall see. Thanks for the help guys! NOT!

Unit 6 is a good moose area. What season are you hunting? Big bulls can be up above timberline early, and down in the aspens and willow drainages later. I know of a good outfitter for the area if you're looking to go guided, but it's certainly
a good area to do it yourself. Good chance for a monster bull there. A good bull will have spread in the mid 40s, palms 10+ wide, and palm lengths 35" from brow palm to tops. Look for forking brows on both sides. Look at this link. . .

https://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Moose/2012MooseHorns.pdf

You are going to have an awesome hunt. Soak up every bit of this hunt for those of us who will never draw!

Huntography
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Nice! Good luck.

I found this moose shed in 171

Rudy

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/12/yvygudep.jpg

wolfman
06-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Unit 6 is a good moose area. What season are you hunting? Big bulls can be up above timberline early, and down in the aspens and willow drainages later. I know of a good outfitter for the area if you're looking to go guided, but it's certainly
a good area to do it yourself. Good chance for a monster bull there. A good bull will have spread in the mid 40s, palms 10+ wide, and palm lengths 35" from brow palm to tops. Look for forking brows on both sides. Look at this link. . .

https://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Moose/2012MooseHorns.pdf

You are going to have an awesome hunt. Soak up every bit of this hunt for those of us who will never draw!

Thanks HiMtnHnter! What outfitter do you recommend? I have been trying to find how to judge a decent bull in terms of it's rack but finding info on just a Shiras for that purpose seems to be knd of hard to find.

wolfman
06-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Nice! Good luck.

I found this moose shed in 171

Rudy

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/12/yvygudep.jpg

Very nice!

HiMtnHnter
06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks HiMtnHnter! What outfitter do you recommend? I have been trying to find how to judge a decent bull in terms of it's rack but finding info on just a Shiras for that purpose seems to be knd of hard to find.

Not much out there in terms of Shiras moose judging. You are in luck because 6 produces very good bulls. A big mature bull will not necessarily be super wide in that area, as only a handful of 50" bulls are killed in CO each year. Spread is only part of score. A mid 40's or above bull with forking brow palms is a good start. Look for 8-10+ points per side, with score-able points all the way to the tops. Colorado has great genetics, so wide palms are fairly common in bigger bulls. A bull with long points off the palm will have narrower palms, so look for a bull with scorable points, but plenty of palm. Point length counts for nothing. You want long, wide palms first, good spread, and mass last, as mass is a very small part of score. A bigger bull's antlers will also appear to come straight out and even droop down a little off his head. A younger bull's antlers will angle up out of his head. Again, look for a bull with forking brows. A good bull will have 3 points on his brow. Comanche Wilderness Outfitters guides to some of the biggests bulls in CO, and I believe they can hunt unit 6, but I'm not positive.

CoHiCntry
06-12-2013, 01:05 PM

I personally wouldn't consider using an outfitter. It's an easy enough hunt to DIY. They want a ton of money to do what you can do on your own. Moose are easier to hunt than elk or mule deer in my opinion. They aren't too spooky for the most part and are easy to see and somewhat predictable where they'll be. If your worried about not getting one or not getting a big enough one than I'd trade in the muzzleloader tag and get the rifle tag before I hired an outfitter. That allows you to hunt two weeks instead of the one week muzzleloader season. You can shoot one in the rifle season with a muzzleloader if you want too. CWO has taken some nice bulls but so do DIY hunters every year. Look at the stats online and see how much bigger the outfitter bulls are compared to the DIY hunters... not much difference. Put in your time, hunt the whole season and you'll likely get a great bull and save yourself $5K or more...

wolfman
06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
I personally wouldn't consider using an outfitter. It's an easy enough hunt to DIY. They want a ton of money to do what you can do on your own. Moose are easier to hunt than elk or mule deer in my opinion. They aren't too spooky for the most part and are easy to see and somewhat predictable where they'll be. If your worried about not getting one or not getting a big enough one than I'd trade in the muzzleloader tag and get the rifle tag before I hired an outfitter. That allows you to hunt two weeks instead of the one week muzzleloader season. You can shoot one in the rifle season with a muzzleloader if you want too. CWO has taken some nice bulls but so do DIY hunters every year. Look at the stats online and see how much bigger the outfitter bulls are compared to the DIY hunters... not much difference. Put in your time, hunt the whole season and you'll likely get a great bull and save yourself $5K or more...

Thanks for the info guys! With regard to the outfitters....I have talked to a couple of them. Scott at CWO wanted 5k plus a 1k harvest fee. I told him straight away that I probably couldn't make that work with the boss. Seems like a nice enough guy but I think I tend to agree with you CoHiCntry. I don't think it will be overly hard to DIY-espeically based upon what my scouting turned up this weekend. The other thing that kinda gets me is the outiffters all want a premium (although not quite as much as CWO) because it is a once in a lifetime tag and the fact of the matter is it is probably less work for them to have a client kill a decent bull moose in CO than it would be to kill a nice bull elk. Makes no sense. But supply and demand i guess. I haven't ruled out using an outiffter-because it is a once in a lifetime gig-but I haven't commited to going with one either. It was recommended to me that I turn in my ML tag and get a rifle one as the rut will be in full swing for rifle season. Ah decisions, decisions....my thought about the ML season is that the competition will be much less but maybe that doesn't matter. Thanks again guys. I'm all ears to any and all info.

HiMtnHnter
06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys! With regard to the outfitters....I have talked to a couple of them. Scott at CWO wanted 5k plus a 1k harvest fee. I told him straight away that I probably couldn't make that work with the boss. Seems like a nice enough guy but I think I tend to agree with you CoHiCntry. I don't think it will be overly hard to DIY-espeically based upon what my scouting turned up this weekend. The other thing that kinda gets me is the outiffters all want a premium (although not quite as much as CWO) because it is a once in a lifetime tag and the fact of the matter is it is probably less work for them to have a client kill a decent bull moose in CO than it would be to kill a nice bull elk. Makes no sense. But supply and demand i guess. I haven't ruled out using an outiffter-because it is a once in a lifetime gig-but I haven't commited to going with one either. It was recommended to me that I turn in my ML tag and get a rifle one as the rut will be in full swing for rifle season. Ah decisions, decisions....my thought about the ML season is that the competition will be much less but maybe that doesn't matter. Thanks again guys. I'm all ears to any and all info.

I agree about the outfitter, I just threw it in as an option. I would not use an outfitter if I had the tag (and I never will have the tag). I also think I would do rifle if I had the tag, two weeks when no one else is there would be unbelievable. I would also not shoot the first decent bull I saw. Did I mention I will never have the tag?

Orion/CO
07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
wolfman,

Congratulations! I drew the mzldr bull moose tag in unit 6 last year (it took me 3+10 points) so I know how you feel! I might be able to help you out and can tell you my experience, but the first thing you can do is go to the statistics page on the CPW website and use a Gazetteer map book to pinpoint the grid locations of all the bull moose that have been killed in unit 6 in the past several years. My first piece of advice is that even though there are lots of moose in unit 6, they can appear and disappear like ghosts. So just because you scout and find some decent ones, you may not ever see them again once the season starts. Some people seem to think that you must hold out until you find the absolute biggest bull in the entire unit, but to me a bull moose is a bull moose, if you are happy with it then go ahead and pull the trigger. It's your hunt and your experience, so don't let anyone else tell you what you should or shouldn't shoot.

wolfman
07-15-2013, 08:33 AM
wolfman,

Congratulations! I drew the mzldr bull moose tag in unit 6 last year (it took me 3+10 points) so I know how you feel! I might be able to help you out and can tell you my experience, but the first thing you can do is go to the statistics page on the CPW website and use a Gazetteer map book to pinpoint the grid locations of all the bull moose that have been killed in unit 6 in the past several years. My first piece of advice is that even though there are lots of moose in unit 6, they can appear and disappear like ghosts. So just because you scout and find some decent ones, you may not ever see them again once the season starts. Some people seem to think that you must hold out until you find the absolute biggest bull in the entire unit, but to me a bull moose is a bull moose, if you are happy with it then go ahead and pull the trigger. It's your hunt and your experience, so don't let anyone else tell you what you should or shouldn't shoot.

Thanks Orion/CO!!! PM sent~

CoHiCntry
10-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Been wondering... how did it go???

trkytrack2
10-06-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm not aware that you can swap a muzzleloader tag for a rifle tag for moose. They are all issued by drawing and only so many tags are issued for each unit so it would seem that since the tags are in such high demand that all the rifle tags would have been issued. The CPW doesn't have extra tags just laying around to give out. If it was me, I'd call the CPW and ask them about that.

Old Hunter
10-06-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm not aware that you can swap a muzzleloader tag for a rifle tag for moose. They are all issued by drawing and only so many tags are issued for each unit so it would seem that since the tags are in such high demand that all the rifle tags would have been issued. The CPW doesn't have extra tags just laying around to give out. If it was me, I'd call the CPW and ask them about that.

Yes, you can exchange a moose tag for a different method of take if done before Sept 7th. Not positive about the date, but it's early Sept.

trkytrack2
10-06-2013, 11:02 AM
That's good to know, OH. Thanks.

Old Hunter
10-06-2013, 11:24 AM
The trick is to get that blasted tag. I know where the moose are, but i'm way too old to start saving moose points now. I should have done it 30 years ago.

BleuBijou
10-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Personally I have found them rutting better during Muzzy season and harder to find during the rifle! We are all waiting how you did, unless you are going rifle.

wolfman
10-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Sorry I have been remiss in posting my results. I did get one. Not as big (was a tad over 37 inches) as I was hoping for but he was the biggest I had seen during my hunt. Given the fact that I was by myself and he was less than 100 yards from a road I decided he would do. Shot him at about 50 yards. He went another 10 yards and fell. Was a complete pass through. I was pretty happy and relieved. Also thankful for my new found friends that helped me get it to my truck after I had gutted it and cut it in half. Getting it to that point was chore!
Lot of trials and tribulations with flooding-almost didn't make it out of town on time- and some truck issues-I hate the emissions crap on these new trucks-during the hunt too. Was not the most fun hunt I have ever done but I won't soon forget it.

BTW you can exchange your tag. I almost did with all the flooding going on and the issues I had to deal with on that. I just had to do it prior to the 14th when my season was to begin. In fact I called the CPW and confirmed it and ran into the guy that had drawn the other muzzle loader tag for this unit but he turned his in for rifle tag. He was up scouting. Thanks to all for all the advice and info on this site. Especially to Orion/CO.

CoHiCntry
10-10-2013, 05:59 PM
That's awesome! Congratulations!!! Looks like a real nice bull. Planning on getting him mounted? What load did you end up using out of your muzzleloader?

wolfman
10-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks CoHiCntry! I am having a euro mount done. My plan was that if it was in the mid forties or better I would get a shoulder mount done. I used 100 grains of triple 7 powder and a 460 grain no excuses bullet with a triple 7 primer.

Orion/CO
10-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Congratulations on the bull! I did a European mount on mine as well (which is what I do myself for all my mounts) and it looks really nice. I just got back from my 1st rifle season cow elk hunt in Unit 6 (I got my cow last night), and on the way home this morning there was a small bull moose crossing the road right in front of the Moose Visitor Center sign (he was headed right into the parking lot). I wish I had my camera handy, that would have made a great shot. Enjoy your moose meat. Vacuum pack it if you can, because it will take a while to finish it off :) I still have at least 40 pounds of moose left from last year, and now I have 3 antelope and an elk to shove in the freezer on top of it.

wolfman
10-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks Steve! Congrats on the Elk!

BrettKoenecke
11-12-2013, 09:50 AM
We saw an outstanding moose on our trip and it was one of the highlights of the experience. He had tremendous fronts and lots of points. Not alot of spread as he was quite cupped. he would be a tremendous trophy without question.