PDA

View Full Version : Call your shots!

Never in Doubt
06-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Well the California drawing has closed and hopefully we'll find out soon what zones we'll be hunting. This is going to be a fun thread where we all try to call our shot, and then come back this fall and see how close we all were to getting it right!

Now's the time to year to get excited and make up crap about how good of hunters we are.

I'll go first. I probably won't draw an X-zone, so I'll hunting D3-5 and D6. I'm going to fill both tags. One will be a 4x4 and the other will be a 3x3. Both DIY on public land.

Oh yeah, it's gonna happen this year!

How about you guys?

Drhorsepower
06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
I am not going to draw a Cali tag as much as I would like to.

Colorado Cowboy
06-03-2013, 03:10 PM
I have my D7 tag in hand. I'll be looking for a nice 4x4 too. Will be hunting in the Ansel Adams Wilderness on a packin hunt with 7 other friends and cousins. This will be our 67th year hunting the same camp.

Not too many Colorado residents will be buying Calif out of state lics & deer tags.Will get to catch a few Piute Cutthroats too. I'll be coming home to colorado afterwards and will probably hunt in the 4th season for a cow elk.

Sawfish
06-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I'll bite. Put in for G3 as first choice (LOL); G38 (late season X-10) second; and D14 Third. Have a decent shot at G38, but looking to get D14. Bought a B2 Second Tag. Looking for a 3 X 3 and a 4 X 4. Will kill them both with a Handgun.

Sawfish
06-03-2013, 03:14 PM
I have my D7 tag in hand. I'll be looking for a nice 4x4 too. Will be hunting in the Ansel Adams Wilderness on a packin hunt with 7 other friends and cousins. This will be our 67th year hunting the same camp.

Damn, Colorado. After hunting in the same place for 67 years, you should be on a first name basis with all of the Deer in D-7, as well as their Grand-bucks and Grand-does (LOL).

Never in Doubt
06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I'll bite. Put in for G3 as first choice (LOL); G38 (late season X-10) second; and D14 Third. Have a decent shot at G38, but looking to get D14. Bought a B2 Second Tag. Looking for a 3 X 3 and a 4 X 4. Will kill them both with a Handgun.

Nice!

Have you hunted X10 before? There were tags left over last year, which is rare for an X-zone.

Never in Doubt
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM

Not too many Colorado residents will be buying Calif out of state lics & deer tags.Will get to catch a few Piute Cutthroats too. I'll be coming home to colorado afterwards and will probably hunt in the 4th season for a cow elk.

That's quite a bit of experience for one zone! Did 4x4's used to be nothing special back in the day in D7? lol I can just imagine the good hunting California must have had 40-50 years ago.

JMSZ
06-03-2013, 04:10 PM
I just checked the site this morning, I'm getting anxious already. I'm focusing on the hunt this year even more than I would otherwise, to keep myself occupied. The sooner I know whether I'll get to hunt something besides D-8, the sooner I'll be able to start planning and studying.

I applied for X-10, with X-9C as my second and D-8 as my third choice, plus got a D-8 second over the counter.

I'll take something with antlers on it... Set your sights low and you won't be disappointed.

I wish I would have checked for X-10 last year, I would have jumped on one of those.

Murphy's Law, since there were leftovers last year and I applied this year, there will be 10 times as many applicants as there are tags this year.

Colorado Cowboy
06-03-2013, 04:27 PM
That's quite a bit of experience for one zone! Did 4x4's used to be nothing special back in the day in D7? lol I can just imagine the good hunting California must have had 40-50 years ago.

I have made about 35 trips in this area, Check my album for some of the bucks I've taken. I do know exactly where I want to be at legal shooting time on opening morning. Takes about 1 1/2 hour to get there from camp and a climb to about 10,000ft.

Muleys 24/7
06-03-2013, 08:37 PM
I put in for a couple long shot choices for the first and second, and a local D tag I always end up with for third. This year I'm hoping I end up with a really big black bear I have my eye on, and a 3x3 or 4x4 in southern CA. I still have a good amount of meat left from last year so I'll be looking for something descent for what this local D zone can produce. I'm REALLY hoping to draw a random tag for sheep , elk , or antelope! I will also be looking forward to a Wyoming deer hunt this year. Good luck to everyone that put in.

Muleys 24/7
06-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Nice!

Have you hunted X10 before? There were tags left over last year, which is rare for an X-zone.

yea that would be awesome to grab one of those with a 2nd choice!

Muleys 24/7
06-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I am not going to draw a Cali tag as much as I would like to.

So what's the plan? Are you going with AZ archery again or nothing?

Kevin Root
06-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Well the ranch I was going to get a deer hunting lease in C zone was sold resently and it's getting harder to pull the X zones I apply for so if I don't pull that I'll probaly try a D zone. My out of state plans this year to meet up with some out of state friends has moved from Wyoming to south Eastern Idaho and currently that's moved up a bit more north in Idaho to hunt deer and elk.

m.mcolorado
06-03-2013, 09:34 PM
alright I don;t know what all this d and x stuff means. wierd californians. But here goes some cockyness!

Colorado-

Unit 13 Pronghorn- no less than 85
Unit 5 4th season Mule deer- Deer - no less than 185
Unit 5 4th season bull- Hmmm I will say I come out with a 280 6x6

pfft, that should get some laughs but i would wager i get it done!

Drhorsepower
06-03-2013, 09:40 PM
So what's the plan? Are you going with AZ archery again or nothing?

We will see... I do not hold an archery tag this year and I thought I would have two. Colorado didn't pan out and I drew a muzzy tag in nv which I wasn't expecting(good thing). It feels weird because this was supposed to be my big archery year yet I do not hold an archery tag. I would like to go back down to Arizona. I am playing it by ear. We will see how the check book looks. My buddy called me today down there and they are getting ready to hunt archery bear! I wish I was down there with them that's for sure.

Muleys 24/7
06-03-2013, 10:07 PM
We will see... I do not hold an archery tag this year and I thought I would have two. Colorado didn't pan out and I drew a muzzy tag in nv which I wasn't expecting(good thing). It feels weird because this was supposed to be my big archery year yet I do not hold an archery tag. I would like to go back down to Arizona. I am playing it by ear. We will see how the check book looks. My buddy called me today down there and they are getting ready to hunt archery bear! I wish I was down there with them that's for sure.
Well that's good, at least you got something going on. I think I would go crazy if I had to sit out a season!

Muleys 24/7
06-03-2013, 10:10 PM
alright I don;t know what all this d and x stuff means. wierd californians. But here goes some cockyness!

Colorado-

Hey, I thought Colorado was the new California now with all your politics and gun laws! LOL. The X zones are premium zones here in cali. Good luck on your tags in CO!

m.mcolorado
06-03-2013, 10:16 PM
LOL, Nice, thank you and good luck also. First draw in 7 years! Super stoked!

Alabama
06-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Colorado-

Ambitious much? ;)

m.mcolorado
06-03-2013, 10:34 PM
i know right, but i got to shoot high bud!

Muleys 24/7
06-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Anything's possible, just gotta be in the right place at the right time and throw a little luck in the equation.:cool:

Alabama
06-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Hey I'm with ya! Post some pics for the flatlanders.

m.mcolorado
06-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Hey I'm with ya! Post some pics for the flatlanders.

Will do! Got a goat located that i think will score higher than wideglide. Been scouting the deer tag for five years ;) and will scout it hard this summer also. Pics to come! Hey i went from Jr. member to just a plain ol member, i'm moving up in the world!

BigSurArcher
06-03-2013, 11:54 PM
I'll be drawing a northern X zone this season. A solid 4x4 or better shouldn't be too hard on that tag, but I have a streak that will ride on coastal Blacktails come July. Looking to make it 8 four-points (to at least one side) in a row.

Antler addict
06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
On the border with points on a x zone tag this year, if that is drawn 4x4 or better. 2nd tag will be a b-zone tag with a 3x3 or better.

bigshot
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
I probably wont get drawn for my first two choices (G-6 and D-12) and get stuck with my third choice D-14. I'll buy my second tag for D-14 as well (Like a dummy, can't resist because its hunt'in in my back yard!!) I'll shoot first legal buck I see with first tag (Usually a forkie) and will shoot some sort of non typical with my second tag!! That is what I'm predicting. :D

Never in Doubt
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Do you go scouting in D14 at all BigShot?

I hunt the closer D zones too. I can go hunting for a day if it's a 2-2 1/2 hour drive, but a 5+ hour drive and I'd have to take more time off work, etc. And I need the money for hunting, haha.
Probably the deer I want the most is a big California non-typical buck, with a drop tine or too. Those are the coolest IMO.

bigshot
06-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Do you go scouting in D14 at all BigShot?

I hunt the closer D zones too. I can go hunting for a day if it's a 2-2 1/2 hour drive, but a 5+ hour drive and I'd have to take more time off work, etc. And I need the money for hunting, haha.
Probably the deer I want the most is a big California non-typical buck, with a drop tine or too. Those are the coolest IMO.

Yea I scout very heavy before the season opens, as a matter of fact I got my four wheeler loaded and headed out tomorrow morning to put out some trail cams and do some glassing. I live in a cabin at 5,000 ft elevation in Zone D-14, so its easy for me to scout on my weekends. Also taking out my .223 in case I see some yotes.

sjsmallfield
06-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Should draw my Xzone tag this year and will pick up a Dtag on my second. I would love to say 4pt or better for me but we'll see what happens when they walk out in front of me. :D

bigmoose
06-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I drew a X zone last year, so that is out of the picture. D3-5 for me . Maybe a antelope tag. I've got 8 points...not enough...just need to be lucky!

Moose

Muleys 24/7
06-08-2013, 07:41 PM
just need to be lucky!

Moose

LOL, I'm still waiting to get lucky too! Hope it happens for you

norcalhunter
06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Give me my B and D3-5 tags for deer and my Tule elk tag and I'll be happy.

Sawfish
06-10-2013, 07:16 PM
yea that would be awesome to grab one of those with a 2nd choice!

Hello Muleys 24/7 and Never in Doubt,
I actually drew an X-10 tag and hunted there last year. In two different trips, I saw only two does. The problem with X-10 is that it is a mecca for dirt bikers. This is one of the last (if not the last) place in the state where the NFS maintains trails for OHV and trail bikes and encourages their use. Needless to say, the deer hightail it out of the area to escape the noise. This was my first trip to X-10, and I was unable to do any pre-season scouting due to an illness in the family. I had no idea this condition existed there during deer season. The early part of the season, the bikers are wall to wall. Towards the end, there are a few less. My hope is that the later G-38 season will avoid the off road fiasco. During my second trip, I got caught in (enjoyed) the two pronged snowstorm that hit the Sierras last year. I was actually enjoying freezing my a-- off in the tent while the snow built up outside in anticipation of the morning hunt. I took the Jeep as far as I could, then set out on foot. I spent the entire day after the storm driving and hiking. I never cut one deer track the whole time! (Although, I did find some old tracks above Monache Meadows before the storm.) That pretty much convinced me the deer had moved out of that area. During the two trips, I covered everything between Kennedy Meadows and Monache Mountain. There were dozens of camps along the Monache Mountain Jeep Trail, but not one hanging deer, which I thought to be unusual. I swore never to go back to that area, but being a glutton for punishment, I have applied again. I reasoned better to hunt a marginal area that you know something about, rather than a good area about which you know nothing. Got to be deer there somewhere. Just have to find them within handgunning distance.

Sawfish
06-10-2013, 07:17 PM
JMSZ,

I would say that you are pretty much a shoo in for an X-10 tag with that area as first choice.

JMSZ
06-11-2013, 07:21 AM
JMSZ,

I would say that you are pretty much a shoo in for an X-10 tag with that area as first choice.

That would be most excellent - I would be able to get a lot more time in the field. If I could find a relatively "easy" route up to the PCT from the east side, I'd have it made. Otherwise, I'll be going in through Walker's Pass or Kennedy Meadows.

From what I've been reading from you and on a couple of other forums, it sounds like it's going to require some serious humping to get away from other hunters if I want to have any chance of seeing anything.

I was eyeing Monache Meadows, Deer Mountain, etc, just based on the maps, but it sounds like everybody does the same thing. So, looks like I'll have to find the ugliest, nastiest terrain that I can safely handle and shoot for that.

Guess I'll be hunting the south or extreme north parts of the zone.

Deerhunter72
06-11-2013, 09:42 PM
well. now that i know i'm not going to colorado!!!! x12 for a big 3x3 or better,,, then local d13.. bt need to find a new honey hole,,,,

Never in Doubt
09-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Well the California drawing has closed and hopefully we'll find out soon what zones we'll be hunting. This is going to be a fun thread where we all try to call our shot, and then come back this fall and see how close we all were to getting it right!

Now's the time to year to get excited and make up crap about how good of hunters we are.

I'll go first. I probably won't draw an X-zone, so I'll hunting D3-5 and D6. I'm going to fill both tags. One will be a 4x4 and the other will be a 3x3. Both DIY on public land.

Oh yeah, it's gonna happen this year!

How about you guys?

Well I finally got a buck, and it has 3 points on a side. Now I 'just' need a 4x4! lol

sjsmallfield
10-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Should draw my Xzone tag this year and will pick up a Dtag on my second. I would love to say 4pt or better for me but we'll see what happens when they walk out in front of me. :D

Well just got back from my Xzone hunt with a 4x4 in the truck. He is my first Mule Deer and by far my biggest buck to date. I will try to post up some pics and a story soon.

Drhorsepower
10-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Well just got back from my Xzone hunt with a 4x4 in the truck. He is my first Mule Deer and by far my biggest buck to date. I will try to post up some pics and a story soon.

Congrats sjs!! I'm really excited to see a photo!

sjsmallfield
10-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Congrats sjs!! I'm really excited to see a photo!

Me too since I see that your avatar photo has changed.;)

Sawfish
10-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Drew the D-14 tag to go with B-2. Killed a 4 x 3 Blacktail on Sunday in B-2 with an Encore 25/06 pistol. So far, I am half right, but the hard part is ahead. Two weekends left in D-14. I will be using my Encore 30/06 pistol, and will try to find some of Bigshot's leftovers :D.

sjsmallfield
11-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Congrats Sawfish! The neck on that thing is huge!!

Muleys 24/7
11-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Nice buck sawfishsawfish:)

bigshot
11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Drew the D-14 tag to go with B-2. Killed a 4 x 3 Blacktail on Sunday in B-2 with an Encore 25/06 pistol. So far, I am half right, but the hard part is ahead. Two weekends left in D-14. I will be using my Encore 30/06 pistol, and will try to find some of Bigshot's leftovers :D.

lol there is plenty left in D-14, good luck. Congrats on your buck looks like a heavy brute, also good looking handgun!

Sawfish
11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
lol there is plenty left in D-14, good luck. Congrats on your buck looks like a heavy brute, also good looking handgun!

I had a chance to weigh this one whole (145 lbs.). I have hunted this area for nine years, and this buck was the smallest (body size) that I have killed there. Over the years, they have ranged from 160-178 lbs.. The severe drought has taken away one of their mainstays i.e. raiding the rancher's alfalfa crop. There is also heavier competition for the acorn and manzanita from the increasing number of bears in the area. This is the first year that I have really noticed the deer following the various acorn crops as they drop in their respective areas. Looks like something similar is happening in D-14.

The D-14 bucks have been evading me so far, but I have one more weekend left! Provided that I can stay away from the OHV and motorcycle riders, woodcutters, dog walkers, etc.. (LOL). This is one of a pair of stainless Encore Pro-Hunters. This one in 25/06, and its brother in 30/06. The only difference other than caliber is the scope and grips. The 30/06 has Camo laminate wood and a Burris LER 2x7 scope. The 25/06 has natural laminate wood, and a Burris 3x9 LER scope. Both will group three shots under a dime at 100 yards.

Sawfish
11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
This is a PS to my previous post, Thanks for all the comments. The only things showing over the bitter brush thicket were his head and neck, so I wound up shooting him in the neck at 75 yds.. I was using a 115 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2,818 fps.. He turned a complete flip and never moved. During the butchering process, I found the blue plastic tip of the bullet, and two small chips of lead. The rest of the bullet exited through a single hole, with no evidence of fragmenting or explosion. The neck is a pretty rugged piece of a deer's anatomy, and this settled the question (for me at least) about the toughness of the newer BT bullets. I have had the same results with the 150 BT in my 30/06 Encore.

bigshot
11-04-2013, 08:40 PM
sounds like the Nosler bullet perform perfect, good to know.

Sawfish
11-05-2013, 12:16 PM
sounds like the Nosler bullet perform perfect, good to know.

I had some bad experiences with the older version, so I stayed away from them for a long while. When I started shooting the 25/06, I thought that I would give them another try. That was a good decision. Especially at the closeout/factory seconds prices on the Nosler Forum.

Never in Doubt
11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Some nice bucks here, congrats guys!

I never filled my second tag. Passed on several bucks and never found the big one I wanted. Can't wait until next year!

Sawfish
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Never filled my second tag, either. Have an iffy January hunt planned out of state, but have to work on filling my bear tag first!