PDA

View Full Version : I have a question.......

velvetfvr
06-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Where I hunt the bucks usually go into the aspen stands (probably in most places through the west). Especially the big boys and they don't come out very long of we see them come out. I have still hunted the stands but am wondering if there is another tactic?? The stands usually have some open areas in side where they feed and stretch et.. I get the wind in my favor but I feel as though I am not being productive when I go to enter a stand. And I can't use my grandpas suggestion by shooting in front of them to redirect them lol. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

hardstalk
06-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Weve had some success by pushing aspen patches. Setup at a good vantage point. Have your range finder ready. Send someone stomping thru. Of course with a bow This would not be a good tactic.

velvetfvr
06-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Weve had some success by pushing aspen patches. Setup at a good vantage point. Have your range finder ready. Send someone stomping thru. Of course with a bow This would not be a good tactic.

Yeah that's it. It's just hard because when they go in them, they disappear and can move to others.

packmule
06-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Glass is the only thing I can suggest and be ready to stretch out a rifle... Or while they're up and feeding, sneak in and hope you get lucky by it walking by, deer have a bad habit of going back to bed in the same general area.

Old Hunter
06-04-2013, 09:31 AM
A still hunters dream. Can I come with you?

hardstalk
06-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah that's it. It's just hard because when they go in them, they disappear and can move to others.

We would break branches and slam them into trees after getting about 20 yards into the patch. They come a runnin. But always look back the see what all the commotion is. Thats when you squeeze the trigger.

Old Hunter
06-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Youngsters and does look back.

packmule
06-04-2013, 12:17 PM
I've noticed that when watching folks go on stalks & deer picking them out while they're trying to make it to some cover. Had one buck found in '07 and was waiting him out for the next season...watched 2 guys try to get within rifle distance of him (he had them pegged about 800yds out despite their stealthiness)...and at about the 500 mark he bolted. The last time I saw that deer for the week he was still churning up dust going over a flat top 2 miles away.

velvetfvr
06-04-2013, 02:43 PM
A still hunters dream. Can I come with you?

Looks like there's my answer. If you can make it to Reno after hot August nights Then yep! Lol

tttoadman
06-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I've noticed that when watching folks go on stalks & deer picking them out while they're trying to make it to some cover. Had one buck found in '07 and was waiting him out for the next season...watched 2 guys try to get within rifle distance of him (he had them pegged about 800yds out despite their stealthiness)...and at about the 500 mark he bolted. The last time I saw that deer for the week he was still churning up dust going over a flat top 2 miles away.

I love watching the young bucks that are smart enough to run when the big boy runs. You have to believe they will be a good one some day as opposed to the yearling that stands and stares at you.

I like to position myself to catch the 1:00PM stretch and then re-evaluate a stalk opportunity. I think the key is not to blow them out. Try to pattern one or two even if they are small bucks. the next day the big buck may be in tow.

If you are going to drive muleys, I say drive at them from below. They are not as threatened to bolt if they are above you, and you may get them to walk away instead of a dead run. When they do, you will usually get one turn and look, and that may be the only chance you or your shooter ever get.

Similar concept I use hunting by myself in the bigger canyons. I will sidehill above the creek bottom giving myself a 300yd+/- shot to the far side where it opens up. You have a good chance the bucks will walk out of the canyon away from you, and come right up level to you and turn and look.

packmule
06-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Chances are the dumb ones will get shot as soon as they show potential.

Fatrascal
06-05-2013, 10:24 PM
From your previous posts I'm assuming you are talking archery hunting. Of course the stalking technique is the #1 choice. Go after them in the aspens but that hardly ever works out. Second, if they are bedding in the same ole group of trees then get in the trees while they are out feeding and ambush them as they come in. Third, stay out of the trees but get close enough to ambush them when they come out of the trees. You might sit there for several hours waiting on them to come out, but thats hunting. Or, ambush them when they come out in the evening into thier feeding area. Fourth, so you blew them out and they took off. Watch the direction that they travel to escape. If possible, have somebody watching the area from afar, sometimes a wise ole muley will use the same escape route multiple times. Bingo, get in the escape route and have somebody lightly push them to you. Another thing I forgot to mention is, ambush them at thier water source.
Several years ago while archery hunting I ran into the same problem. Its just tough to get them when they live in the trees and your using archery equipment. What I learned was that I needed to choose more archery friendly hunting areas. Areas with cliffs, rocks, scattered brush instead of stands of aspens. I started finding deer bedded under rocks, in sparse brush and under large over hanging trees. My success immediatley went up while choosing this type of terrain. Also, during the middle of the day I'm not laying around waiting for the bucks to come out of the trees in the evening. I'm lurking around all day long following ridgelines peeking over the top or glassing under every piece of shade I can find. You WILL find bucks using this method in less treed areas. fatrascal.

velvetfvr
06-05-2013, 11:14 PM
From your previous posts I'm assuming you are talking archery hunting. Of course the stalking technique is the #1 choice. Go after them in the aspens but that hardly ever works out. Second, if they are bedding in the same ole group of trees then get in the trees while they are out feeding and ambush them as they come in. Third, stay out of the trees but get close enough to ambush them when they come out of the trees. You might sit there for several hours waiting on them to come out, but thats hunting. Or, ambush them when they come out in the evening into thier feeding area. Fourth, so you blew them out and they took off. Watch the direction that they travel to escape. If possible, have somebody watching the area from afar, sometimes a wise ole muley will use the same escape route multiple times. Bingo, get in the escape route and have somebody lightly push them to you. Another thing I forgot to mention is, ambush them at thier water source.
Several years ago while archery hunting I ran into the same problem. Its just tough to get them when they live in the trees and your using archery equipment. What I learned was that I needed to choose more archery friendly hunting areas. Areas with cliffs, rocks, scattered brush instead of stands of aspens. I started finding deer bedded under rocks, in sparse brush and under large over hanging trees. My success immediatley went up while choosing this type of terrain. Also, during the middle of the day I'm not laying around waiting for the bucks to come out of the trees in the evening. I'm lurking around all day long following ridgelines peeking over the top or glassing under every piece of shade I can find. You WILL find bucks using this method in less treed areas. fatrascal.

Well its pretty open except for the stands of aspen. This is the only reason stopping me from switching to this unit. The others spot I hunt is more open but just doesn't hold big bucks. Just 160,170 class bucks lol. I can't do any scouting. So its hard. If my buddy that told me about this section can show me exactly where he sees them, then my chances really go up.

tttoadman
06-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Well its pretty open except for the stands of aspen. This is the only reason stopping me from switching to this unit. The others spot I hunt is more open but just doesn't hold big bucks. Just 160,170 class bucks lol. I can't do any scouting. So its hard. If my buddy that told me about this section can show me exactly where he sees them, then my chances really go up.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk  

This sounds like open country that gets hot in the day. They will predictably step over onto the north side and bed against the edge of the rocks whenever they are not in the trees. Look for a small weep in the shade. Even if it doesnt really have any water, it will be noticeably cooler against those rocks. excellent spot for a fatrascal ambush.

velvetfvr
06-06-2013, 11:00 AM
This sounds like open country that gets hot in the day. They will predictably step over onto the north side and bed against the edge of the rocks whenever they are not in the trees. Look for a small weep in the shade. Even if it doesnt really have any water, it will be noticeably cooler against those rocks. excellent spot for a fatrascal ambush.

No it's not open country but there are spots open that they will be in before bedding up. You have pinion junipers 3/4's up and then it turns into high country for here. Aspen stands, occasional pinion trees and the shorter brush because its at 9000 some odd feet.

nvarcher
06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
No it's not open country but there are spots open that they will be in before bedding up. You have pinion junipers 3/4's up and then it turns into high country for here. Aspen stands, occasional pinion trees and the shorter brush because its at 9000 some odd feet.

How I've gotten close in the same type of terrain is focus on the deer that hang out lower in the mahoganys, junipers, and pines. As it is less thick down there and I can watch exactly where they bed.

velvetfvr
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
How I've gotten close in the same type of terrain is focus on the deer that hang out lower in the mahoganys, junipers, and pines. As it is less thick down there and I can watch exactly where they bed.

Yeah your spot is great for that! Might do my normal area unless my buddy can give me good info.

az.mountain runner
06-06-2013, 10:34 PM
You might want to try, once u have pushed them out, head n,s,e,or w. Depending on which direction the wind is blowing , and has the best glassing for the wind and then bunker down for a couple of hours to wait for them to double back , if ur not lucky then wait for a different wind day and try the same thing all over again from a different vantage point, keep trying different winds and spots till u find one that works,once u do u should get yearly success from that general area.