PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake grazing area near Alcova

Alabama
06-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Hey guys I got an offer from a friend to come hunt antelope in the rattlesnake grazing area near Alcova. He's from Nebraska and it's going be on his cousin's ranch and surrounding public land. He isn't sure of the unit but said its near Alcova. The units surrounding Alcova are 32, 48, 63, 69 and 70. There definitely aren't any left over tags in 32, 48, 69, or 70. 63 hunt type 2 had leftovers but it was a new hunt in 2012. I think he got mixed up and these will only be discounted doe/fawn licenses, right? Also there are leftover licenses in the special draw in some of these units, what happens to those tags? Do they revert to regular tags or become really expensive leftovers?

Thanks, Wesley

Musket Man
06-04-2013, 09:33 AM
You need to check right after the draw and see whats left over. Then if there is anything left over that interests you get it as soon as they go onsale online as some go in the first few minutes. I believe all the buck tags are sold at the regular price. The little bar in Alcova makes a darn good burger too! Just be careful of the Indian spirits on the mountain behind it. Legend has it there is a tribe still up there;)

ADavid
06-04-2013, 07:55 PM
If he is talking about rattlesnake mountains then your probably thinking 68,69,70 and all those buck tags will be gone, 70 would be the most likely to have buck tags left over but you can probably still score some doe tags. 63-2 was a tag that they slipped in right before NR deadline and most residents didnt realize they snuck it in either so im thinking the draw odds will be a little different this year.

Musket Man i think your talking about the sunset bar and grill and yes it does have some damn good burgers!

Musket Man
06-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Musket Man i think your talking about the sunset bar and grill and yes it does have some damn good burgers!

I think thats the one. Its right on the hwy. Honestly I didnt know there was more then 1 bar. lol. Havent been through there in a few years but I always stop and have a beer and a burger when I get over that way!

ADavid
06-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Haha yeah thats the one, there are 2 bars lol the other one is lakeside.

Musket Man
06-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Haha yeah thats the one, there are 2 bars lol the other one is lakeside.

Now Im hungry!:)

Alabama
06-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys! I've never gotten a pronghorn. I had one that would score (ROUGH GUESS!) low 70's about 35 yards from me in Nebraska last year while hunting mule deer but of course no tag in my pocket. :( How do they taste?

ADavid
06-06-2013, 05:04 PM
they are the gamiest meat ive had but still good my wife always tricks me and tries to get me to guess what meat is in the meal (antelope,deer, elk) to see if i can tell the difference and i never can lol.

I think it all comes down to field care though cause ive had other peoples and cant stand it.

I have it gutted in minutes of death and skinned and hanging in a locker within an hour.

velvetfvr
06-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys! I've never gotten a pronghorn. I had one that would score (ROUGH GUESS!) low 70's about 35 yards from me in Nebraska last year while hunting mule deer but of course no tag in my pocket. :( How do they taste?

One of my favorite meats and isn't gamey to me. It and elk are my favorite wild game. Deer is the gamiest to me.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

Bitterroot Bulls
06-06-2013, 05:47 PM
I have had great luck with extremely mild and tender pronghorn. Most of mine have come off wheat fields though.

Good luck on finding an antelope hunt, Alabama.

Muleys 24/7
06-06-2013, 06:35 PM
One of my favorite meats and isn't gamey to me. It and elk are my favorite wild game. Deer is the gamiest to me.

I agree with velvet feather!

velvetfvr
06-06-2013, 07:15 PM
I agree with velvet feather!

Thanks! LOL

canvsbk
06-06-2013, 07:17 PM
I feel the same way.

Musket Man
06-06-2013, 07:49 PM
I haven't got 1 yet I thought was gamey. Even the 1 I got last year that was pretty old tastes great! I did make alot of it into sausage. I added about 10% beef and 10% beef fat and used Hi Mountain seasonings. I also made some seasoned burgers. I ground jalapenos, onions, garlic and some seasonings along with 10% beef and 10% beef fat into it and it came out great!!

Alabama
06-06-2013, 08:03 PM

The whitetails here aren't gamey but it's probably because of the crops that I plant in my food plots. The Mulies I've killed on public land that ate only sage, wild forbs, etc were EXTREMELY gamey, but I've killed some on wheat and alfalfa fields that were tender and tasty! Those bad ones almost ruined my taste for mule deer until i had some great tasting deer steaks last year.

Muleys 24/7
06-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I truly believe with deer.... it's what they eat that makes them taste more gamey than others. When the meat in our freezer's get low, we drive from CA to WY just to get 2 antelope doe/fawn for meat. We also use that trip to WY, to do some pre scouting in UT, while we're passing through.

Eberle
06-06-2013, 10:52 PM
The best mule deer I've ever ate, I killed in unit 80 in Southern Wyoming. It was nothing but rolling sage brush hills. It was awesome, I gutted it & hauled it straight to the butcher in Rawlings. My buddy killed one the next day about a mile from mine. He said his was very good as well.

Musket Man
06-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Best deer I ever had came from eastern Montana! Even the last buck I got out there that was pretty old was very tender!

Sawfish
06-10-2013, 08:36 PM
You guys had me going. I was thinking how (and why) in Hell would anyone want to graze Rattlesnakes? Maybe, some guy with a restaurant, so his customers could graze on Rattlesnakes! :cool:

Eberle
06-10-2013, 10:07 PM
You guys had me going. I was thinking how (and why) in Hell would anyone want to graze Rattlesnakes? Maybe, some guy with a restaurant, so his customers could graze on Rattlesnakes! :cool:

You've never heard of Rattlesnake Hills?

EBOLAVIRS
06-11-2013, 12:36 AM
The only unit out of those that will have leftover tags is 70, most of which is private. I think there is type 2 hunt in 48, might be a few leftovers there. it I doubt it.

Sawfish
06-11-2013, 06:59 AM
You've never heard of Rattlesnake Hills?

Not until now, but I have seen a number of rattlesnakes in WY (LOL).

Musket Man
06-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Not until now, but I have seen a number of rattlesnakes in WY (LOL).

Now we know you havent been reading the WY MRS in detail. lol

shootbrownelk
06-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Hey guys I got an offer from a friend to come hunt antelope in the rattlesnake grazing area near Alcova. He's from Nebraska and it's going be on his cousin's ranch and surrounding public land. He isn't sure of the unit but said its near Alcova. The units surrounding Alcova are 32, 48, 63, 69 and 70. There definitely aren't any left over tags in 32, 48, 69, or 70. 63 hunt type 2 had leftovers but it was a new hunt in 2012. I think he got mixed up and these will only be discounted doe/fawn licenses, right? Also there are leftover licenses in the special draw in some of these units, what happens to those tags? Do they revert to regular tags or become really expensive leftovers?

Thanks, Wesley

Is your cousin meaning the Rattlesnake grazing association lease? They used to charge a small trespass fee. I'm pretty sure it's area#70. Not sure if there will be leftovers, and yes it is mostly private and landlocked public land. Sounds like you have an in there with your cousin's ranch. Enjoy your hunt if you put one together.

BobT
06-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I hunted unit 70 2 years ago and drove through it several times last year. There is some huntable public land there but very few animals on it. IIRC Rattlesnake Grazing has land in units 71 & 72 also and maybe 69 also, not sure though. None of these units had leftover buck tags last year and the numbers were way below what they were 3 or 4 years ago. I would say you are looking at doe/fawn tags for leftovers.

Bob

Alabama
06-19-2013, 07:59 PM
All either sex and doe/fawn licenses are sold out in units 32,48,63,69,70 and 71. Haha looks like I won't be hunting antelope in Wyoming this year unless I buy for another area that I don't have connections. All the leftovers seem to be in areas with difficult access to public land. Thanks for the info guys.