PDA

View Full Version : Quality Replacement Boot Laces? Help Needed.

Umpqua Hunter
06-05-2013, 08:53 AM
I am in the process of fitting a pair of Lowa Tibets, and finally on the third try (from Zappos) I believe I've found a great fit. The next piece, I would like to order some "replacement" laces.

I have a high instep, and thick calves, so my boots tend to lace up pretty "wide". As a result, I have minimal lace left for the knot. I can get the knot ties, but an extra 3" to 6" of lace on both sides would be nice (6" to 12" total). The pair of Lowa Tibets I have come with what looks like an 84" long lace (unstretched), so I would like to replace that with something like a 90" to 96" long laces.

This got me thinking, when I have replaced my laces in the past, I typically end up with an inferior lace that I am really not happy with. I'd like to hear what you guys like for a quality "replacement" lace.

Also: The Lowa Tibets have a lace lock just above the lower lacing, so I assume the lace diameter should be fairly close in diameter to the original lace for that to work properly.

Ikeepitcold
06-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I've always used the OEM replacements but don't have the issue you do. Have you tried laces for the Lowa sheep hunters for the Tibets?

hardstalk
06-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Have you had a chance for the boots to heat up and stretch? I know with my baffings the laces were a bit short in the beginning. But once your foot settles and the leather heats up and stretches I ended up with ample lace.

packmule
06-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Parachute cord cut to your desired length..can put rubber shrink tube on the ends for easier threading.

Umpqua Hunter
06-05-2013, 09:05 AM
I've always used the OEM replacements but don't have the issue you do. Have you tried laces for the Lowa sheep hunters for the Tibets?

IKIC: I've looked at those, but I ended up with a 14 Wide (I started with 13D and it took me 3 pairs to find the right fit) and I think the lace I have is the longest lace from Lowa.

HARDSTALK: I might just do that. The length is just barely long enough now. A common problem for laces in shoes for me.

PACKMULE: A good idea, I assume you mean 550 cord. I have some cord I bought a few years ago at REI that might work, its a smaller diameter than the 550 and a tighter braid.

Umpqua Hunter
06-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Here is something interesting I found, they appear to be able to survive a nuclear blast. They used to be called "ArmorLace". Has anyone tried these?

http://www.ironlace.ca/Home

They area available in 84" 96" and 108"

packmule
06-05-2013, 09:16 AM
PACKMULE: A good idea, I assume you mean 550 cord. I have some cord I bought a few years ago at REI that might work, its a smaller diameter than the 550 and a tighter braid.

That's what I'm talking about. I've heard of people using the shrink tubing on the entire lace to give them a coating so they don't freeze together, but I can imagine they would be hard to tie.

JMSZ
06-05-2013, 09:31 AM
That's what I'm talking about. I've heard of people using the shrink tubing on the entire lace to give them a coating so they don't freeze together, but I can imagine they would be hard to tie.

I've got a pair of boots that came with 550 cord laces. It's actually a real pain in the a** to get it tight in the standard eyelets, it's so thick that it doesn't flex and slip really well. It also doesn't want to stay tied frequently, partly because of the thickness and partly because it's too slick. Double knotting helps, but only delays them coming untied.

25contender
06-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Here is something interesting I found, they appear to be able to survive a nuclear blast. They used to be called "ArmorLace". Has anyone tried these?

http://www.ironlace.ca/Home

They area available in 84" 96" and 108"

I have never used them but it sure looks like a good product. I have used Spyder Line and it works very well and you can buy it by the foot and in different Diameters and colors. I had some leftover from re-rigging my outriggers on my boat and tried it for laces. Worked well. I did what was mentioned above and put a small piece of heat shrink on the ends.
http://www.neropes.com/product.aspx?mid=fbae29336c3b26fe710a6f20a0ff186c&lid=3&pid=201

Kevin Root
06-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Do you not want the same Lowa lace in a 90"-96" or are you just wanting a stronger and a bit longer lace? I checked on the Lowa site and they say for replacement laces to let them know the length needed.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/lowa-boot-and-shoe-laces/2130000111/13

I'd imagine you would want something close to the same dia for the lace lock to work well or at least from the Lowa boots my wife and I have it would seem that would be nice to have too.

Umpqua Hunter
06-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you not want the same Lowa lace in a 90"-96" or are you just wanting a stronger and a bit longer lace? I checked on the Lowa site and they say for replacement laces to let them know the length needed.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/lowa-boot-and-shoe-laces/2130000111/13

I'd imagine you would want something close to the same dia for the lace lock to work well or at least from the Lowa boots my wife and I have it would seem that would be nice to have too.

KEVIN: I would love the same lace. I was on that link and it takes you to Summit Hut. The longest lace they have listed is 83" which is probably the same lace that I have. If I could find the length I need, I would probably just go with them.

PACKMULE: I measured my lace with a caliper this morning and it looks pretty close to 4 mm diameter. I see REI has "accessory cord" in 4 mm. Using that with heat shrink on the ends would probably be a good solution.

25C: The Spyder Line looks pretty good too and comes in 3.8 mm. 1860 pound breaking strength...hmmmm might just work...lol.

I wonder if it is good to have stretch in your boot laces or not. I can see pros and cons to low stretch laces.

Umpqua Hunter
06-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Another idea I saw, rather than heat shrink tubing it to soak the last 3/4" or so on the cut ends of the accessory cord in super glue to make it hard and easier to thread through the eyelets. This would probably work with the Spyder Line cord as well.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59677

Drhorsepower
06-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Good idea! I always tie knots at the length I want my laces, cut the rest off and when tying my shoes it makes for consistent bow knots.

Umpqua Hunter
06-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Good idea! I always tie knots at the length I want my laces, cut the rest off and when tying my shoes it makes for consistent bow knots.

Good idea DR...just tie them up make the bow the size you want, and cut the ends the length you want and super glue them. Like it!

Drhorsepower
06-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Good idea DR...just tie them up make the bow the size you want, and cut the ends the length you want and super glue them. Like it!

Eggs ackley. Don't forget to tie the knots before cutting them. Also you will never have a lace slip through an eyelet again when unlacing.

buckbull
06-05-2013, 07:45 PM

I do a similar thing with my laces but I use cord locks instead of knots. Makes it easy to unlace the boot if I need to.

This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/107218102/2-lemon-yellow-cord-locks-for-childrens?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=supplies_low&gclid=CMSuoPCmzrcCFUJqMgodzTYAWw

hoshour
06-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Ironlace Laces have a lifetime guarantee and come in 84, 96, and 108" lengths. They cost $18 but you will never buy another pair.

They advertise them as stronger than steel. Reviews on Amazon say they don't stretch and they stay tight.

Umpqua Hunter
06-06-2013, 12:07 AM
I think we have some very good ideas floating around here. Where I am now at is this....

Is it best for a lace to have almost no stretch, or is it better for it to have some stretch?

No stretch, if your foot heats up and swells it could possibly get overly tight. With stretch it could possibly "absorb" your foot swelling a but as it warms up.

What do you guys think?

Drhorsepower
06-06-2013, 12:28 AM
I say no stretch. I have a pair that stretches slightly and it seems like I am re-tying my boots 15 minutes down the trail.

If your feet swell, you can always re-tie your boots.

Kevin Root
06-06-2013, 07:58 AM
I go for the no stretch but I've never tried stretch laces. It would have to stretch enough that kept your feet from slipping a lot in the boot from going up and down hill. Feet swell and sweat throughout the day so I think it's good not only to re-tie to keep from being overly tight or lose but also to change out socks with a spare dry sock.

packer58
06-06-2013, 08:52 PM
No stretch for me to, I've rarely had my boots become tighter during the days hunt. Usually have to stop a time or two and tighten things up. I purchased laces that are Kevlar and love them, no stretch and the bow knot stays tied all day no problem. Can't remember the brand name. I also lase my boots in stages, just above the eyelet lace holes I tie an over hand knot and cinch it down then continue up the speed hooks..............works for me.

Umpqua Hunter
06-07-2013, 12:15 AM
No stretch for me to, I've rarely had my boots become tighter during the days hunt. Usually have to stop a time or two and tighten things up.

Excellent point Packer.

JMSZ
06-08-2013, 07:01 PM
I'll echo the non-stretchy laces for the same reasons that have been mentioned, particularly drhorsepower - I'm usually stopping one or more times per day to tighten laces.