PDA

View Full Version : Good Topu/Aerial site

25contender
06-07-2013, 11:14 PM
I always liked this site to look at the aerial/satellite shots. You have to zoom in closer to get the aerial shots. use the menue on the upper right corner. Anyone else use it?

http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

Bitterroot Bulls
06-08-2013, 08:42 AM
I use Cadastral for ownership, but once I added topos to Google Earth, I just use it for satellite and topo.

hardstalk
06-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Does anyone have access to a plotter? If so what maps do you use or site do you use to print your own topos? Im looking for good quality large scale images I can print.

Bitterroot Bulls
06-08-2013, 10:11 AM
I print off the NatGeo TOPO software.

25contender
06-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I get my maps from MyTopo.com but like the site above for the Aerial /Satellite views you can zoom in pretty close on the site above.
On my Garmin 62s I use the Garmin software that came with it. Mark

25contender
06-08-2013, 10:59 AM
I use Cadastral for ownership, but once I added topos to Google Earth, I just use it for satellite and topo. I like the ownership feature as well. There is a pretty piece of private where I hunt and have thought about contacting the owner to see if he wants to sell it. I have never seen anyone there. The owner is in NY.

hoshour
06-08-2013, 03:38 PM
You know you can print Google Earth to take with you offline. In Google Earth, just choose edit, then copy, paste the current view into Word, set the Word margins to narrow and the orientation to landscape, up the brightness and contrast, then print. If you have a tablet or phone you can download the Word file onto that. You just need a free MS Office app.

You can also download free unlimited USGS topo maps as pdf files and carry them offline on your laptop, tablet or phone. I did that on my recent bear trip. You can still zoom and pan the maps offline.

MSUcat61
06-08-2013, 06:33 PM
http://map.mtbullypulpit.org/

This is a great resource

Kevin Root
06-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I have access to a plotter at work. I guess I should look into what kind of paper I can print on it. I've kind of liked the waterproof topo maps and just get one at the REI or send away for a copy. Having a big copy of a detail sat to view mark up and plan out is not a bad idea though. Seeing the view on sat view and then on foot and planing routes can/does look easier to get to on the computer but it's still not a bad idea to make some plans to check out spots off the beaten path.