PDA

View Full Version : Outdoorsmans Tripods and Heads

jarheadhunter
06-13-2013, 10:21 AM
I just picked up a used Outdoorsmans medium tripod with pistol grip head with panning attachment and extension post. I have never used a pistol grip head. What is everyones thought's on them? Should I get a Jim White or the Outdoorsmans pan head?

Graylight
06-13-2013, 06:10 PM
I just got your PM... I would highly reccomend the Outdoorsmans versus the Jim White... The JW is a good and smooth head but nowhere close to the Outdoorsmans panhead.

The Outdoorsmans line up is unparalelled in my opinion...

DryFlyGuy
06-13-2013, 08:40 PM
I just picked up a used Outdoorsmans medium tripod with pistol grip head with panning attachment and extension post. I have never used a pistol grip head. What is everyones thought's on them? Should I get a Jim White or the Outdoorsmans pan head?

I really like the pistol grip. It is probably not ideal for big glass and little animals (I.e coues deer) because it is very easy to move the grip too much at high magnification. I use the pistol grip exclusively, but I just put up with the 'course' adjustment.

jarheadhunter
06-17-2013, 08:23 AM
I just got your PM... I would highly reccomend the Outdoorsmans versus the Jim White... The JW is a good and smooth head but nowhere close to the Outdoorsmans panhead.

The Outdoorsmans line up is unparalelled in my opinion...

So do you have any outdoorsmans heads?

ID_MW
06-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Agree with DryFlyGuy- Pistol Grip Head doesn't like to work with big spotters. I have used it with a Leica 82MM and end up cursing it a bunch. Use the Outdoorsmans pan headLike it with a pair of Binos on top. If you use a compact spotter, I would have to think it would be a great head, but if you have a big scope, don't waste your time. Use the Outdoorsmans pan head. I think Graylight is steering you towards the pan head as well- so I will back him up.