PDA

View Full Version : Last 3 Weeks.......Just a Blurrrr...time to relax a little now!

Colorado Cowboy
06-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Finally finished up almost a month of competative shooting......and I'm tired! 2 regional shoots in preparation for the state championships and finished up with another regional last weekend with everyone going to the world championships in New Mexico next weekend. I did pretty well considering I was shooting against shooters who were young enough to be my grandchildren. Won 2 outright, but had gun problems at the state match and was 5th. I was not a happy camper! But had a blast. Last weekend shot against shooters from Australia, New Zealand and German, they are really good.

The shooting I compete in (some of you might not know) is Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS). We use period firearms(Single action revolvers, lever rifles and shotguns) and dress that way too. I also shoot only black powder. Lots of fun for old farts like me who grew up watching Hoppy, Gene Autry and the Lone Ranger when we were kids. There will be around 1000 shooters from around the world for this weekends World's. "Shoot, Have Fun and Make Smoke":cool:

xtreme
06-17-2013, 08:39 AM
You will be shooting at Wittington Center? My son gave me a model 10 22-250 for my birthday/fathers day. My Remington 700 went off aon my last Colorado trip, I had herd and read about that, it happened. My new wife likes shooting and is good at shooting paper, animals don't give her enough time, anyway my small family was at the indoor shooting range this weekend, good fun.
The Lone Ranger use to come on tv at 6 am, I watched every morning. It don't get much better than outright wins, sounds good to me. Good luck next week.

hoshour
06-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Nice job, Cowboy! Sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck this weekend.

Topgun 30-06
06-17-2013, 09:21 AM
You will be shooting at Wittington Center? My son gave me a model 10 22-250 for my birthday/fathers day. My Remington 700 went off aon my last Colorado trip, I had herd and read about that, it happened. My new wife likes shooting and is good at shooting paper, animals don't give her enough time, anyway my small family was at the indoor shooting range this weekend, good fun.
The Lone Ranger use to come on tv at 6 am, I watched every morning. It don't get much better than outright wins, sounds good to me. Good luck next week.

If you haven't already put another trigger in that 700, DO IT before you put another shell in the gun!!! Many diss on that and say there is nothing wrong with them, but when the engineer (Mike Walker) that designed them told Remington they needed to be changed they didn't do it for many decades because of the bottom line, rather than safety! Put a Timney or Jewel in it and don't worry that it will ever happen again.

xtreme
06-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Going to order Timney today

Colorado Cowboy
06-17-2013, 09:47 AM
You will be shooting at Wittington Center?

No, SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) the governing body owns its own range in Edgewood. Great facility, has ranges up to 1000 yards, plus shotgun, sporting clays and short range bays. They have constructed a mini cowboy town and have a campground too.

Kevin Root
06-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a fun shoot. I've seen CAS on some shoot shows and they look like fun. I really like how they dress up in period outfits and use similar firearms of the era too. There's just something very cool of that era or time period to me.

Eberle
06-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Congrats CC! I hope I can go & enjoy retirement like you when I get there. I agree with Kevin on the outfits & CAS it is really neat. You should post some pics if you have any?

Colorado Cowboy
06-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Oh I have lots of them....Leaving for NM, will post them sometime late next week.

Colorado Cowboy
06-30-2013, 06:51 PM

Some Pictures from cowboy shoots.

packer58
06-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Looking good there CC..........

25contender
06-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Man that looks like fun!! Great photos......Mark

sjsmallfield
07-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Great pics CC. Looks like a blast.

Colorado Cowboy
07-01-2013, 07:16 PM

The fun part of some of these shoots is night shooting with black powder. It is awsome (and I don't use that word much!) You have to see it to believe it. I shoot a 10ga SxS shotgun at night loaded with 125 grs BP & 2 1/2 oz of shot and pull both triggers at once. The spectators are blown away. The shotguns are the most spectacular.