PDA

View Full Version : Deer area 89

kiddwinner
06-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Does anyone have any information on Wyoming Deer Area 89, I put in according to the MRS with my mom and a buddy and we happened to draw. Anything helps as Ive only driven by that area on the way to casper... Thanks!

HuntWYODon
06-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Get some maps and hunt the Rattlesnake Hills. Some nice bucks taken there.
Great draw ! How many points did you have ?

kiddwinner
06-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks so much... I read that the rattlesnake mountians walk in area is elk, mountain lion and antelope only? is this true...? Also, where abouts are the mountains, towards casper or more by hells half acre side? I didnt have any points, Im a wyoming resident!

ADavid
06-24-2013, 05:45 PM
you are correct rattlesnake HMA dosnt allow deer hunting but there is still some public land to hunt in the rattlesnakes.

The Mountains are going to be out past hells half acre on your way to shoshoni from casper you will see them on your left hand side. congrats on the tag!

kiddwinner
06-25-2013, 08:12 AM
you are correct rattlesnake HMA dosnt allow deer hunting but there is still some public land to hunt in the rattlesnakes.

The Mountains are going to be out past hells half acre on your way to shoshoni from casper you will see them on your left hand side. congrats on the tag!

Thanks for your help!

NDHunter
06-25-2013, 09:19 AM
There is a HUGE amount of WIA for 89. Here's the link: http://gf.state.wy.us/plpwhmprogram/uploads/huntingwalk/natrona/Natrona.pdf

I don't know how good of country that is for deer but it would be a ton of country to look at.

kiddwinner
06-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Thats so great thank you so much for your help... Id really like to get ahold of someone whos hunted it before!

HuntWYODon
06-25-2013, 02:18 PM
I hunted it from 1992 till 1997. Area 89 used to alternate between limited entry and general area back in early 90's. I hunted the Dumbell ranch and also accessed the Rattlesnake's from Dry Creek Rd. on the east side. I bought 40 acres on the wast side of Mtns. in 1996. You can drive Poisen Spider Rd. out of Casper going west to the Rattlesnakes also. I forgot but think it's about 50-60 miles.
You can access Dry Creek Rd. on east side from Hwy 220 not to far east of Muddy Gap Junction. I never had a hard time finding bucks there, just finding big ones back then. I think it's a lot better now that it's been limited entry for awhile. I think the Dumbell Ranch is walk in area now. Haven't been in there since 1997. Don't know. I don't even know if Norm and Gaynell Park still own it but they were great people. The biggest buck I killed there was only about 24 in. but I think it's one of the two biggest bodied deer I have shot. The other was in Reg. D near Chugwater. only around 24 in 4x4 but a wheat fed toad. I bet you will have a great hunt. Eastman's rated area 89 a blue chip area about 3 yrs ago. May still be ? Good luck and post pics !

kiddwinner
06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
I sure will, thank you for all that information...I really appreciate it!

HuntWYODon
06-25-2013, 04:28 PM
I sure will, thank you for all that information...I really appreciate it!

You gonna take that buck all the way to Zero Box ? :)
Hey ! How many points did you have to draw ?

kiddwinner
06-26-2013, 08:10 AM
HAHAHA... yes, actually i probably will take it there if i get one with my bow in September! It i get one during rifle season and its cold enough then Ill do it myself. I am a wyoming resident so there is not a point system, its all random draw for deer elk and antelope, I have been applying for 4 years now! Did you draw anything in WYO?

HuntWYODon
06-27-2013, 05:08 PM
HAHAHA... yes, actually i probably will take it there if i get one with my bow in September! It i get one during rifle season and its cold enough then Ill do it myself. I am a wyoming resident so there is not a point system, its all random draw for deer elk and antelope, I have been applying for 4 years now! Did you draw anything in WYO?

You know, I knew you were a resident so I don't know why I asked... Have resident friends and knew that ... Getting old with CRS !
Didn't draw 1st choice so got the usual Reg. F tag (Cody area) Have hunted it every year for last 16 yrs.. Last year I drew an area 125 tag with 0 pts. ! This yr. I know have 1. LOL ! Have 4 for elk not counting this yr. yet and will have 3 for lope. Drew 121 bull in 2008 and 83 lope in 2010. I'd prefer no point system but then F&G Depts. wouldn't make any $$$. Your 89 tag is a great draw and I'd hold out for a biggin !

Eberle
06-27-2013, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=HuntWYODon;56221] Getting old with CRS !
QUOTE]

At what age does that begin I'm 38 & I think it is starting to set in!

canvsbk
06-28-2013, 04:29 AM
Once it sets in you can't remember when it did.....

kiddwinner
06-28-2013, 08:19 AM
You know, I knew you were a resident so I don't know why I asked... Have resident friends and knew that ... Getting old with CRS !
Didn't draw 1st choice so got the usual Reg. F tag (Cody area) Have hunted it every year for last 16 yrs.. Last year I drew an area 125 tag with 0 pts. ! This yr. I know have 1. LOL ! Have 4 for elk not counting this yr. yet and will have 3 for lope. Drew 121 bull in 2008 and 83 lope in 2010. I'd prefer no point system but then F&G Depts. wouldn't make any $$$. Your 89 tag is a great draw and I'd hold out for a biggin !

Holy smokes, yuou have gotten alot of great tags! did you get a 125 deer tag? If so How big was it? what about the 121 elk? When are you heading out this year?

HuntWYODon
07-01-2013, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=HuntWYODon;56221] Getting old with CRS !
QUOTE]

At what age does that begin I'm 38 & I think it is starting to set in!

Does what set in...? LOL ! Mine started a few yrs ago at 50, I think ? You still have time !
You'll know when you go to the garage to get something and then forgot what it was when you get there then, you remember later and go back to garage and forgot again, No BS. I always forget where I set my beer and have to go get another. Couple day's later, who put my beer there ???

HuntWYODon
07-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Holy smokes, yuou have gotten alot of great tags! did you get a 125 deer tag? If so How big was it? what about the 121 elk? When are you heading out this year?
I saw one buck in 125. about 26 in 5x5 (counting eyegaurds). I spent too much time sizing him up and gave me the slip. Snows pushed the out out south to famers fields early. Should of hunted it earlier than the 8th. Found one area that was like a mass migration of deer tracks heading down into fields. Drew a 121 bull tag in 2008. It was only a 300 in 6x6. Only bull we found and that was packin in on horses. Going to leave Ca. probably on Nov. 1st. Get to Cody on 2nd.

kiddwinner
07-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I saw one buck in 125. about 26 in 5x5 (counting eyegaurds). I spent too much time sizing him up and gave me the slip. Snows pushed the out out south to famers fields early. Should of hunted it earlier than the 8th. Found one area that was like a mass migration of deer tracks heading down into fields. Drew a 121 bull tag in 2008. It was only a 300 in 6x6. Only bull we found and that was packin in on horses. Going to leave Ca. probably on Nov. 1st. Get to Cody on 2nd.

Lets meet up and lose some beers together!!!

HuntWYODon
07-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Lets meet up and lose some beers together!!!

Maybe the beer is what killed my breain cells and not CRS ? Look what I said in the PM . I knew do drew 89 and I even replied about the area but I PM I was thinking you drew 125 ! I'd LOL but it's not that funny ! I think I'd rather have an 89 tag than 125 anyway !
I'd like to meat up and buy you a beer !