PDA

View Full Version : GMU 66 second season deer

jgriffin82
06-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Good afternoon everyone. I turned in 7 points for a 67 2nd season deer tag this year. I have read that the herd hasn't fully recovered from the 07-08 winter, but I know there is still good deer in the area. I have hunted 67 for elk twice back in 03 & 04. That is when I noticed the amount of high quality bucks was enormous. I have hunted 66 and 65 a few times as well. I am somewhat familiar with the area. I was hoping for some advice on where to set up a good camp or rent a cabin close to hunting and a general area to begin looking for bucks. In the past we hunted the west side of 67 off of 149. We would take a dirt road due east off of 149. The entrance was across the highway from about a 12' tall fence. IIRC, it was BLM road 3042 or Co. Rd. 149 . It starts as low sage country and winds up in timber up high. Any advice would be great. I would love to scout, but the 32 hour round trip is too much. Thanks for anything and everything.

James

packmule
06-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Can probably hunt the same way you did for elk. I wouldn't expect to see the same deer numbers you did in 03-04 until 2015-2016.... Tomahawk guest ranch wouldn't be a bad place to stay.

jgriffin82
06-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks packmule. Is Tomahawk the old Powderhorn Guest Ranch? We left Lake City a day after 1st season 66 Elk closed last year and going north on 149, we saw about 35 bucks. It was pre-dusk so we there may have been more. Most were small, but there were a few that will be shooters this year if they made it through 2012 rifle seasons.

packmule
06-24-2013, 09:18 PM
That hadn't changed by 3rd season, a lot of young bucks hugging the rd, most yearlings still with their mama & groups of 5-10 about the same age. Numbers have gone up every year since 07-08, but not near the quality as that Fall. IIRC tomahawk is a cpl miles on down the road from powderhorn guest ranch.

jgriffin82
06-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Packmule, thanks for the Tomahawk advice. Did you hunt elk 3rd season 67 last year? I reserved a cabin for second season deer. Seems like nice folks that run the place. Fishing sounds like it may be pretty good too. Have you stayed there in the past?

packmule
06-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Haven't stayed there, just talked to them a lot last yr on the unit. They both seemed real nice and personable & kids were well mannered. We usually stay in the cabins at Wildwood, but bc of their long-term leases you've got to dang near book a yr in advance. I was helping on a deer hunt last year, but have hunted it a few years since the winterkill and got to see it going into that Winter.