PDA

View Full Version : Overkill?

Multi-SpeciesHunter
06-28-2013, 05:49 PM
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms on this one, but I was at scheels buying some .300 win mag loads and the scheels salesman came over and was talking to me about what I was going to shoot with a .300. I just said, well, mule deer this fall hopefully. Do you have any 200 gr Noslers? And he looked at me and said a .300 is way too big for mule deer and that I should get a .270 if I don't have one. I said well that's what I'm using and went back to looking for ammo. I'm shooting 180 gr Winchesters. Anyway, is there really "limits"? It's just practical vs impractical I think. It'll kill it more dead. Any other opinions? Whether it agrees with mine or not?

CoHiCntry
06-28-2013, 06:13 PM
.300 Win Mag is what I use from antelope to elk and everything in between. IMO, there's no "overkill".

Colorado Cowboy
06-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Ive shot lots of deer with a 30-06. Same bullet as a .300 mag, just slower. 30 years ago I switched to a 25-06 for deer and antelope. Just my wanting a lighter caliber, nothing to do with .30 cal being too big. Use what you have, become very proficient with it and punch lots of holes in paper. Also remember....dead is dead, regardless what caliber does it.
Oh yes, the salesman was full of crap!

Muleys 24/7
06-28-2013, 06:48 PM
.300 Win Mag is what I use from antelope to elk and everything in between. IMO, there's no "overkill".

x2, well I use a .300 weatherby for all big game. With 180gr, bullets. I love the round, it will knock anything down in North America, and reach out there if needed for a long shot.

HuskyMusky
06-28-2013, 08:34 PM
I'd much rather see a hunter shooting 200gr 300win mag on everything knowing he could hit said animal vs. a guy with the perfect rifle for every animal who can't hit anything.

I try to use an ideal rifle/caliber, ie deer, elk, etc... but have no problem with overkill, certainly prefer an overkill cartridge to an underkill cartridge.

btw I might ask what you're using/shooting, but would never say something like that's way too much or overkill.

velvetfvr
06-28-2013, 09:01 PM
There is a thing called overkill??? :D

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

Ikeepitcold
06-28-2013, 09:28 PM
My buddy uses .300 it's a great all around gun. Besides my 7mm. Lol

packmule
06-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I even use a 300wm on our puny rabbit-sized whitetails, which is why I have 3 of them....but also a fan of the WSM, WBY, RUM & Plain Jane 30-06. 30-06 can get it done on everything in North America and a cpl authors have shown that, but no reason to handicap yourself if you need a little extra ummmphh for penetration on less than perfect shot opportunities.

NDHunter
06-28-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm certainly no expert but my only thought is that if a guy uses the same bullet on elk as he does on say an antelope, the bullet might just blow through the animal without hardly opening up. Like if you were using a Barnes TSX or something like that. Can somebody with more knowledge give me their thoughts on that? Even so, your setup for deer seems fine to me.

Umpqua Hunter
06-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Annoying salesman :p

I'd hunt anything in North America with a .300

For my first 20 years hunting I shot everything with a .270, that included multiple moose, 4 sheep, a bunch of antelope, couple caribou, several elk, a grizzly, black bear...etc etc.

For the last 10 I have shot everything with a .300 WSM, that includes a bunch of antelope, some elk, mule deer, and a couple sheep. My wife shoots it and shoots it well.

If you are comfortable with your .300 don't worry about it.

dhershberger
06-28-2013, 10:32 PM
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms on this one, but I was at scheels buying some .300 win mag loads and the scheels salesman came over and was talking to me about what I was going to shoot with a .300. I just said, well, mule deer this fall hopefully. Do you have any 200 gr Noslers? And he looked at me and said a .300 is way too big for mule deer and that I should get a .270 if I don't have one. I said well that's what I'm using and went back to looking for ammo. I'm shooting 180 gr Winchesters. Anyway, is there really "limits"? It's just practical vs impractical I think. It'll kill it more dead. Any other opinions? Whether it agrees with mine or not?
I guarantee the only reason that guy told you that the .300 was overkill and that you need a .270 is because he wanted to sell you a .270. He's full of crap

Murdy
06-29-2013, 05:43 AM
.300 wsm is a friend of mines primary whitetail gun

Fink
06-29-2013, 06:49 AM
That salesman needs to go work at a store that fits him a little better.. Like Walmart.

.300 is an awesome caliber, that will kill anything you want to shoot it with. No such thing as too dead.

trkytrack2
06-29-2013, 07:50 AM
That salesman must be related to Jack O'Conner. He either use to work at Walmart or will soon work at Walmart. Asking a sporting goods employee at Walmart a question about anything relating to guns, hunting or fishing is a lesson in frustration.

Aught6Fan
06-29-2013, 08:36 AM
... he looked at me and said a .300 is way too big for mule deer and that I should get a .270 if I don't have one.

I am regularly disappointed by the lack of manners seen in customer service today. If you were looking to purchase a new gun, a sales person might suggest you consider a .270, but clearly you already have a .300!

I agree with all above. The .300 is a fine caliber for mule deer. As with any caliber, practice so you shoot it well, stay within your effective range and ignore this guy.

bigmoose
06-29-2013, 08:44 AM
I use my 300 ICL with 200 gr. Nosler Partitions for everything. That bullet has always done a great job from 90 lb. California bucks to 300 lb. Montana bucks. I don't think you can go wrong with that combo.

On the other hand, I've picked up 270 that fits me well and is fun to shoot...LOL!

As for the Walmart guy, who knows what he is basing his opinion on?

Moose

In God We Trust
06-29-2013, 10:15 AM
I upgraded from a 30.06 to a .300 win mag and I use it for everything now. It is my go too hunting rifle now. I started reloading so I load up 165 grain rounds for antelope and the 180 grain bullets for muleys and elk.

Drhorsepower
06-29-2013, 11:21 AM
I will take the other route here guys, I PERSONALLY think it is overkill. I shoot a 7 mag for everything and I think it's too big on alot of things however I will NOT JUDGE ANYONE that does shoot bigger rounds. Heck my uncle shoots a 375 h&h while my dad shoots a 25-06. What one shoots is a personal choice and we have more important battles then bickering over ones choice of caliber.

As far as that guy telling you to look at different calibers. That," I work at Sportsmans warehouse so I know everything" attitude has to go. I went in to buy some powder one day, I asked him if he had any h4895, he replied I do but you should shoot xx powder. I might have been in a bad mood but I engaged this guy and told him I had 5 minutes so he can tell me everything he knows about reloading and what powder my gun likes. He didn't say a word and walked away. Worst part about it was he didn't walk away to get my powder, I had to ask someone else;)

Multi-SpeciesHunter
06-29-2013, 11:30 AM
haha all great responses. I have a .243 as a second gun for mule deer, so I'm not thinking I NEED a .300. But it'll help on a marginal shot.

In God We Trust
06-29-2013, 01:43 PM
I agree that a .270 is probably a better choice for deer and antelope sized game. For a one gun meets all needs in the continental U.S you can't beat a 7mm or .300 win mag

bigmoose
06-30-2013, 09:23 AM
I agree that a .270 is probably a better choice for deer and antelope sized game. For a one gun meets all needs in the continental U.S you can't beat a 7mm or .300 win mag

+1...well said

Colorado Cowboy
06-30-2013, 09:52 AM

While you are probably correct in most cases, there are some legitimate reasons to go with a smaller caliber. Women, small stature men and kids generally are less tolerant to magnum recoil. Yes I know there are ways around this (muzzle brake, light loads come to mind), but these lighter calibers have a place for big game hunters as a solo rifle.

ThreeTikkas
06-30-2013, 02:27 PM
I've shot groundhogs here in PA with the 338 Win mag,300 Win mag,300 Ultra mag and the 375 H&H. If there ever was such a thing as overkill,that's it. You know,they all died just the same amount as the ones I shot in the yard with the .22 rim fire. Come fall though there were no surprises in the big bore dept. Everything was working just fine and right on the mark.

ivorytip
06-30-2013, 03:35 PM
shot a cow elk 3 years ago with my .338, 10 yards away! no jk. thing caught me by surprise. that thing had a monster hole in it but there were no worries of her getting away, she slammed into the tree behind her and thats where she stayed. overkill? maybe, but it worked. its the guys using .223's on elk that get me wondering what the heck they are doing. i personaly allways stick to my .270, i love it! and never lets me down, well, it did last year but we wont talk bout that one.....

xtreme
06-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Shot a bear with a 223, one shot kill, drt, well 30yds. Bear was large. My choice for one gun is the 7mm, however I will almost always use the 243wssm for everything. I shot a bear with that too. I know the 25-06 might be a better choice but it wont varmint hunt quit as well, Spot and stalk bear will be the 7mm, anything less is just too dangerous. I don't have a 30-06 but that would be a good one caliber gun.

NDHunter
06-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Soooooooo. What's better, Chevy or Ford?

Conrad8899
06-30-2013, 08:42 PM
My little brother. And his father inlaw were at a local shop. Here in Nw Pa. Looking at a new tikka t3 lite 270. For the father inlaw. He said he was going to hunt mule deer and elk. With the new gun. He said it was a tomato stake. And he would never take it out west. Nothing less than a 300 mag. He said. Now his father in law is well into his 70s.

Musket Man
07-03-2013, 08:28 PM
What exactly is the definition of ''overkill''. If I kill a deer clean with 1 shot with a 22lr does it mean that any larger caliber I used to shoot that deer would be overkill? While the 22lr did the job as well as any caliber could of it doesnt mean its the best choice. (for the record I an not in favor of shooting deer with a 22lr). The debate on what caliber is best for what game will go on forever. While a 300 mag may be more gun then is needed to kill some things that doesnt mean it is a bad choice. Personally I shoot a 270 win at everything bigger then a coyote (well guess I have shot plenty of coyotes with it too lol). Is it always the best caliber? overkill? underkill? Probabally not. What I do know is I have alot of clean 1 shot kills with it and that is the goal so it must work! IMO It doesnt matter if you choose a 243 win or a 460 mag, just find a gun you can shoot well and go hunting:)

Shane13
07-03-2013, 09:31 PM
o·ver·kill (vr-kl)
n.
1. Destructive nuclear capacity exceeding the amount needed to destroy an enemy.
2. Excessive killing.
3. An excess of what is necessary or appropriate for a particular end: "government overkill in dealing with dissent".
4. Moron gunstore sales clerk spending way too much valuable time and energy worrying that a gun might somehow be too big to kill a deer with.

Overkill.

ThreeTikkas
07-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Soooooooo. What's better, Chevy or Ford?

Dodge!:D

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/DWCalls/006.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/DWCalls/media/006.jpg.html)

Musket Man
07-04-2013, 06:20 PM
o·ver·kill (vr-kl)
n.
1. Destructive nuclear capacity exceeding the amount needed to destroy an enemy.
2. Excessive killing.
3. An excess of what is necessary or appropriate for a particular end: "government overkill in dealing with dissent".
4. Moron gunstore sales clerk spending way too much valuable time and energy worrying that a gun might somehow be too big to kill a deer with.

Overkill.

So as long as you dont use a nuke, patriot missile, mortar, RPG, or kill more animals then intended it would not be overkill:)

Aught6Fan
07-05-2013, 06:52 AM
...He said it was a tomato stake. And he would never take it out west. Nothing less than a 300 mag. He said. Now his father in law is well into his 70s.

Yes. The dreaded "under kill," you wouldn't want that. ;)

Colorado Cowboy
07-05-2013, 07:21 AM
My Dad used to have a sporting goods/gun shop for years in Calif. (sold it in 1975) I used to work in it PT from the time I was about 12 until he sold it. Started just sweeping, dusting and windows. He used to drill into me "The customer is right (not always!) and help/suggest if asked.

I remember men coming in wanting to buy a "self defense" gun for their wives. First thing I would ask is "Are you and your wife willing to kill an intruder or do you just want to scare them?" If they said...just scare them, I would tell them to go get a baseball bat and don't buy a gun. Then if they could get by the question and really wanted/needed a gun, I would tell advise them not to but a "pea shooter", buy something big enough to get the job done. I usually suggested a shotgun, not a hand gun. Easy to shoot and the person shot usually doesn't get up! Probably overkill, but surely got the job done.

Point is that not everyone is educated enough to really know what they need. But this can only be discussed at their suggestion! In the situation mentioned, the salesman was way out of line...IMHO!

HuntWYODon
07-05-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm certainly no expert but my only thought is that if a guy uses the same bullet on elk as he does on say an antelope, the bullet might just blow through the animal without hardly opening up. Like if you were using a Barnes TSX or something like that. Can somebody with more knowledge give me their thoughts on that? Even so, your setup for deer seems fine to me.
Hey ND,
I used a Rem 7 mag for many yrs. on everything up to elk. Never had a problem with under or over kill as long as I did my part.
Been shooting a 300 RUM for many yrs now and the same thing. I love it. I use it for everything and like extra everrything. I shoot almost exclusively Barnes TTSX and TSX. They are most accurate out of my rifle and drop lopes,deer and elk DRT. The only other caliber I have killed any big game with was a .243 on an antelope buck at about 100 yds. with a partition. It dropped DRT also.
I like overkill unless it's blowing a couple pounds of meat away. That salesman knew nothing. Probably never shot anything.
Stick with what you shoot best.

Musket Man
07-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm certainly no expert but my only thought is that if a guy uses the same bullet on elk as he does on say an antelope, the bullet might just blow through the animal without hardly opening up. Like if you were using a Barnes TSX or something like that. Can somebody with more knowledge give me their thoughts on that?

True different bullets are designed to react differently when they hit. Example a ballistic tip works great on varmints but would not be a good choice for bigger game because they are not designed to explode on impact and not for deep penetration. Bullet choice is also more important at higher velocities. That said I havent found anything a 130 grain Remington core-lokt from a .270 Win wont kill with a well placed shot:)

packmule
07-05-2013, 08:26 PM
A tsx passing through is going to cause a wee bit of hydrostatic shock. Shot a bunch of 100gr out of a 257Roy @ 3700 at small critters and they react like water filled milk jugs = FUBAR. Might not expand for the exits, but the soft tissue is obliterated.

Old Hunter
07-06-2013, 07:17 AM
If you don't hunt anything bigger than deer. The .270 with a 130gr bullet is perfect. If you don't shoot past 150yds. A 30-30 might be even better.

diyhntr
07-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I think your just fine with your 300. If your comfortable with it and shoot it well go for it. Just my personal opinion the main thing is putting the bullet in the boiler room. If you shoot a 338 and can't put the bullet in the boiler room then what good does it do you no matter what the species.

Sawfish
08-13-2013, 12:58 PM
No such thing as killing something too dead! Especially in Colorado where an elk that does not hit the "ground graveyard dead" will provide lots more shooting and tagging opportunities for every hunter within hearing distance. :D Kill 'em where they stand.

jims
08-16-2013, 08:05 AM
I think the .300 WSM is a great hunting caliber especially for hunting out west.. I use it for antelope and mule deer. I shoot 150 grain Accubonds. For whitetail hunting in my home state of MO, I use a .358 Winchester. I like big calibers.

dying to kill
08-16-2013, 08:32 PM
some people think they know more than everyone on every topic no matter what!! I use a rem 7 mm mag for coyotes up to elk and everything in between, I seen no point in having 4 rifles with 4 scopes and 4 ballistic profiles to remember and 4 perfect hand loads. Why not keep it simple, just stick with one everything and get to know it like the back of your hand?