PDA

View Full Version : Elk in the pecos wilderness

Jakepettit
04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
I am hoping to draw a muzzleloader tag in the pecos for elk this year . Does anyone have any advise for that area? Thanks.

jay
04-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Resident or Nonresident?

Jakepettit
04-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Nonresident

Zim
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
We applied for the archery hunt (NR) for our 3rd choice. Will be cool to draw because if so, it will be our first time returning there since 2001. We have a back door way in to go backpacking. I was told quality may be a little lower than typical due to a rotating early muzzleloader hunt there last season which hit the rut.

Jakepettit
04-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Zim did you have any luck in 01

Zim
04-18-2011, 06:11 PM
We were into several nice bulls, but our hunt was cut short when I sprained my back. I was up each night listening to the 9/11 news and failed to get enough sleep, which caused my back muscles to swell. Spurred by too many years of carpentry. Have learned how to deal with since then.

We paid our dues on 3 backpack hunts in the Pecos and finally felt we had things figured out. Been very eager to return and seal the deal ever since.

c-ne-elk
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I am curious Jay, when JAKEPETTIT asked for advice for the Pecos, your reply was a question, Resident or Non-Resident? Does this matter to you when giving out advice on a hunting area? I see that you are from New Mexico. When he responded that he is a Non-resident, I see that you offered no advice.

I am honestly not trying to prevoke an arguement here, I am just curious as to your thoughts.

jay
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Jakepettit, despite what others may think, my question about resident or non-resident was simply that, only a question out of curiosity. I haven't logged on since my last post being the reason i haven't got back to you. I live in Pecos and would be happy to share some info with you. I actually put my son in for the same hunt so hopefully WE'RE successful! That is one heck of a hunt, the tuff thing this year is we'll have a full moon during that hunt to make things a little tricky. The weather has been extremely dry out here so antler growth may suffer but on a high note this may push the rut back a little depending on the October temps...If it was me, i would pack into the wilderness. There are several access points but on the Pecos side, I would recommend Jack Creek campground and go in from there. From that campground as far as you can ride on horseback a full day is prime elk country. High elevation so be prepared. Whether you plan to hike or use horses its a good area. I know a few areas so let me know if your successful on your application. Hope this helps.

Jakepettit
04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
thanks Jay I will let you know if I draw. I did not take any offense to the question of residency.

c-ne-elk
04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
And Jay, again like I said, I was not trying to start anything or say that you were taking sides, was curious and all is explained. Hopefully you will both draw! I have no experience in the Pecos so sorry but no help.

zia
05-25-2011, 07:19 PM
for what it's worth we have a forest service cattle lease in the Pecos, driest I have ever seen the country. Last week checking stock we saw 70-100 elk in one herd in a "greener" area. We are running 1/5 our allotment and will probably pull them early

Mrelite
05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Hey Zia, not trying to change the thread but I just wanted to say that I appreciate the fact that you are conscientious about the drought conditions and are willing to adjust accordingly, I have seen some who do not.
I do understand it effects your business and wish the best for you.

Hope we have a decent and early monsoon this year!!!

JP

Zim
06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Just a couple more days and I find out if I'm back in the Pecos.

jay
06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Zia, what area do you pasture your cows at? My dad used to graze his cows in the Round Mountain area towards Beatty's...Just curious if i know you?

zia
06-08-2011, 01:50 AM
jay, sent u a pm

Zim
06-08-2011, 06:36 AM
We drew unit 45 archery. Looking forward to returning.

zia
06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
heading to the pecos horseback all weekend, will give you the report asap

zia
06-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Made a pretty good loop horseback for 3 days, HOLY CRAP its dry. Saw one nice group of 12 velvet bulls in one herd and a few herds of cows mosty 8-15 head at a time. Didnt see the big groups we had a few weeks ago , seems like they spread out looking for food. Saw 3 bears and quite a few deer which is unusual. A few large groups of hikers.......baptists or boy scouts not sure which.

jay
06-15-2011, 09:14 AM
what areas did you hit?

Jakepettit
06-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I drew my tag!

jay
06-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Jake, sent you a pm.

zia
06-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Back on the mountain yesterday checking stock, saw a few groups of cows (elk not hereford) maybe 18-20 total, three groups of smaller bulls about like you would expect for the area and drought and then one "pig", really nice bull, 5x5 already. He was as big of a bull as I have seen even in non-drought years in the pecos area. VERY cool to see, if the country doesnt burn up there looks to be good numbers and better antler growth than I expected

zia
08-06-2011, 12:12 AM
nice rain today!! Saw the big bull again, really nice, still in velvet. Hopefully he stays put and safe until muzzleloader season!

zia
08-16-2011, 10:30 AM
All the bulls I saw yesterday had velvet hanging from the antlers........almost time!

Zim
08-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Has there been much rain lately? I've been checking the radar every few days and from that it seems there's been some but not much.

Based on current plant growth do you think the elk will be bunched up more than normal around water sources?

jay
08-19-2011, 01:52 PM
for unit 45, i don't think so...mostly higher country close to watersheds. I'm sure there are some creeks that dried but theres alot of streams, rivers, lakes, in the area pretty plentiful to depend on the water. There is definitely not as much feed as a wet year but its coming late and the grass is starting to grow especially around these wetter areas. Big country, alot of area to feed in...

zia
08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Zim,

I think you are right about the bunched up part though, seems like I keep seeing herds upwards of 30 plus animals. We had a 3" rain the other day (in NM that means 3" between drops)

zia
08-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Just got back from 3 days horseback scouting and getting SOAKED. On the positive side we conservatively saw 1000 elk in the 3 days, naturally mostly cows and small bulls but several bachleor herds that had some great bulls. Should be a super hunt this year! Hope
everybody has a safe productive hunt.

Zim
08-31-2011, 06:24 AM
Well that sounds pretty encouraging. Bout got all my gear assembled. Bow shooting broadheads very well out to my 60 yard pin. :)

cmbbulldog
08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Just got back from 3 days horseback scouting and getting SOAKED. On the positive side we conservatively saw 1000 elk in the 3 days, naturally mostly cows and small bulls but several bachleor herds that had some great bulls. Should be a super hunt this year! Hope
everybody has a safe productive hunt.

What elevation were you seeing most of the elk at? Are they at and above treeline?

Taz
09-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi guys,

I'm new to this, but have been following your threads since I found out I drew a first season MB rifle tag for the Pecos...can't wait! I have not been to the area before and don't know a whole lot about Elk hunting. We hired an outfitter to pack us in and out, but that's all the help we will have. Any other advice would be a huge help!

Zim, looks like we are neighbors, when do you leave for your hunt?

Zim
09-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Lombard! Hell I work in Bloomingdale. I suppose we both use Joe Cochran for taxidermy too. I've been up in the Pecos on 3 trips previously, but not since 2001. What trailhead is your outfitter taking you in from? Are you just doing a drop camp? You know if the outfitter packs out meat for DIY hunters?

zia
09-02-2011, 10:54 PM
let me know what part u are hunting and I will try to help.....going up Jacks Creek or Irongate etc.

Zim
09-03-2011, 10:08 AM
zia,

There are two of us backpacking in. I was told the forest service stopped maintaining the roads so we'll drive in to see how far we can get first. If it's not far enough up, we may elect to go check out other TH's to the northwest of there. Between the two of us we can get a bull out of there, but will likely be in 5+ miles, so prefer to locate someone with horses. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

zia
09-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Sorry Zim, I havnt been that far north in years. I think the trailhead to the NW is called Alamitos but again not my usual stomping grounds.

Taz
09-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Wow! small world Zim! I live less than 2 miles from Joe and know him well. We are going out of Iron Gate camp ground, not sure yet where we will go from there. We were thinking the north end of Hamilton Mesa or west of Beatys cabin. They will just be droping us and our gear off, if we tag one they will pack it out of our camp. From the several conversations I have had with them, sounds like they would rather pack hunters in and out than provide a guide service. If you need there info let me know.

Does anyone know those areas at all?

zia
09-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Yes I do, are you going with Huey Ley, Bear Creek? I am guessing once you get there you will be on foot ? That might make it more challenging but I will try to help. Shoot me a PM when you can, I am heading to our Forest service lease today, should be back tomorrow I hope.

Zim
09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Taz,

Yes I've backpack camped at both Beaty's & Hamilton. My advice is have them take you up to as high an elevation as possible. We backpacked two of our trips out of Iron Gate.

Can you ask your guide if he'll pack out an elk for us? Or send me his contact info?

Hey where do you hunt in state? I bowhunt JTA & Midewin, JEPC. I am mentoring a couple youth this year. Will be trying a new property, Kishwaukee, with one of them.

Ken

jay
09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Zim, if your on a 4 wheel drive you can make it past walker flats closer to the trailhead. I don't remember that road beyond the main opening ever being maintained, but its not too bad in a 4 wheel drive. The trailhead to the west i'm assuming is the Los Alamitos that takes you to N. Fork. This road hasn't been paved, all they did was improve it at the dead end where the wilderness begins(trailhead), more parking etc. Your talking about hunting the mora side of the unit up into the wilderness. I know a guy that may be interested in packing out your meat. I don't have a phone number for him at the moment but i could get it if you'd like. He actually has his own access trail that goes almost directly to middle fork but is steep on foot, would probably recommend horses for that trail and the walker flats one. The Los Alamitos is probably the closest and the least steep of the 3 but is further west than the area your wanting to hit.
zia,

There are two of us backpacking in. Our first choice is parking past the Walker Flats Trailhead and camping at Middle Fork Lake to start. However I was told the forest service stopped maintaining the roads up beyond Walker so we'll drive in to see how far we can get first. If it's not far enough up, we may elect to go check out the TH to the northwest of there (Iforgot the name). However, I called and was told they paved it this summer so I expect more will be using that one. Between the two of us we can get a bull out of there, but will likely be in 5+ miles, so prefer to locate someone with horses. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Zim
09-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Zim, if your on a 4 wheel drive you can make it past walker flats closer to the trailhead. I don't remember that road beyond the main opening ever being maintained, but its not too bad in a 4 wheel drive. The trailhead to the west i'm assuming is the Los Alamitos that takes you to N. Fork. This road hasn't been paved, all they did was improve it at the dead end where the wilderness begins(trailhead), more parking etc. Your talking about hunting the mora side of the unit up into the wilderness. I know a guy that may be interested in packing out your meat. I don't have a phone number for him at the moment but i could get it if you'd like. He actually has his own access trail that goes almost directly to middle fork but is steep on foot, would probably recommend horses for that trail and the walker flats one. The Los Alamitos is probably the closest and the least steep of the 3 but is further west than the area your wanting to hit.

Thanks Jay, Yes I'd definitely like if you could get the guy's number that may pack out a bull for us anywhere in that general vicinity. I knew that didn't sound right that they were paving Los Alamitos, but that is how the forest service described the project. They also said the main reason was to create a turnaround for horse trailers. I know they have not been maintaining those roads, just haven't been there in 10 years. Back then it was easy access to the top.

jay
09-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Zim, i was reading this thread from the beginning and you drew for archery right? Well don't worry, the bulls aren't too active yet, a few calls here and there but nothing too hot yet. A friend of mine has been chasing em' in the Los Alamitos area since opening day and he said its been pretty quite, he did pull out a muley on the second day though. It sounds like your somewhat familiar with the area, last time you hiked in did you drive all the way to the end of the Walker Flats road and go up from there(about 2.5 miles from the big opening) or did you get the trailhead almost directly after the meadow? Just curious because the trailhead that starts at the lower osha canyon is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile from Walker Flats, therefore not needing to go too far on the road your worried about. But if you go all the way to the end about 2.5 miles past this trailhead it looks like you could catch the same trail just further up, from reading your posts, it kinda sounds like thats what you did the last time. I've never been that way, i always go from the bottom but i go on horseback. I will try and attach some GIS maps explaining what i'm talking about. Also let me clarify the Los Alamitos trailhead a little further, that one will put you around the Serpeant Lake area further north of north fork. This trail being closer to above timberline if thats what you want to hunt, but if you like the middle fork, rincon bonito areas then you will want to use the Walker Flats trailhead especially if your hiking. Let me know if this makes any sense or if i confused you.

Zim
09-08-2011, 05:36 AM
jay,

I follow everything you mention.

Do you know if all the trails up there are marked? Someone mentioned the forest service was in the process of changing the trail numbering system on all of them. I remember there were many unmarked trails.

jay
09-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure about the trails being marked, i don't think they've changed the trail numbering system with all the cuts in budget that the forest service are under. I have a friend that runs the recreation section, i'll ask him but i highly doubt it.

NoMoreOldNo7
09-10-2011, 09:42 AM
The wife and I are on a scouting trip for a place to move to in New Mexico, we have been here for 10 days and plan on staying for another 10 days or so. I did manage to get to the Pecos for three days of scouting for my October 22nd elk hunt. Spent the last day up high with my dog and a cup of coffee watching 40 elk, which included 5 bulls, three of which were shooters. I glassed them for an hour along with the 20 turkeys that were running with them. There was also a small bull screaming at me from down the canyon behind me as well. What a great way to spend a morning, enjoying the company of my dog and a cup of coffee. It was a great trip and found a couple places to hunt along with queching a couple bad rumors (at least I think so). I would love to hear if anyone has any input in regards to hunting the unit from the east or north out of Mora via PM. I heard rumors regarding the locals, but they didn't materialize when I visited the area. I only found friendly people up there.

If someone has that contact info for someone to packout an elk I would appreciate it if you would pass it along my way. My hunting partner and I have packed out probably a dozen elk in the past, but its always good to have options. Besides this is a big test of a trip, physically the cancer I fought in 2010 really took its toll, but if determination has anything to do with it I won't have any issues.

This should be a great hunt, I am really looking forward to getting back out in the woods.

Zim
09-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi guys, I was up there hunting the last 3 days, but had to come down to Santa Fe to get a Spot Messenger. Will cost me 2 days hunting.

The bulls were darn near completely silent. Very surprising. There was a lot of snow up there where my camp is at 12,800'. I got within 100 yards of the biggest bull I saw, but got busted by one of his 12 cows. Saw 3 others, 2 raghorns and a spike.

I'm returning tomorrow until season ends 9/22. This time I'm going in from the Iron Gate Trailhead. It was too crowded on the north and east sides.

No. 7 which trailhead are you hunting from? There are lots of packers up there. I'll scroung up my notes and give you suggestions after my hunt, but someone else will probably by then.

MountainManRick
09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Zim what area of the pecos are you hunting. I'm going to be out there for the muzzleloader hunt and could use a little help finding a location where there are elk.thanks and good luck Rick

Taz
09-21-2011, 08:06 PM
No 7,

I can't help you with the area, but the out-fitter taking us in is Cirle S stables I don't have their # handy but they are easy to find online. Talk to Lou she should help you. Good luck!

Taz
09-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Zim, sounds like you into some good bulls! hopfully they turn on for you. Can't wait to hear how the rest of the hunt goes....

NoMoreOldNo7
09-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks Taz, I'll look for them. Good luck on your hunt, can't wait to get back to NM. We are working out some details now, but if things work out we should be putting an offer on the table for a place in Elephant Butte in the next week or so. Regardless I'm heading back on the 19th for the elk hunt.

Taz
09-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Cool maybe I'll see you on my way out. Good luck!

Taz
09-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Zia, have you been in the Pecos lately?

Don K
09-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Zim busted his tail and scored on a nice Bull. Talked to him today Im sure you will see pictures as soon as he gets into "internet" service.......

zia
09-23-2011, 01:49 AM
I will be this weekend but have been in the Gila lately

Taz
09-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Way to go Zim!! can't wait to see the pictures....thanks for the update Don.

Don K
09-23-2011, 02:59 PM
zia,

Covering alot of ground from the Gila to the Pecos?

I will be headed to 13 in a week to scout for my sons youth hunt........

Cant wait to get out there!!!

zia
09-23-2011, 03:09 PM
No kidding! Serious miles on the old Ford. Congratulations to ZiM! Looking forward to the story.

Zim
09-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Done with hunt. Reporting from Denver. Weather sucked, rainy and windy until Sunday morning. Unzipped bivy tent at 4:30 AM to finally see stars! Hiked back in from the Iron Gate Trailhead into a new basin and heard bugling finally! I counted 6 bugling. Climbed up on a high spot to identify location of each. The most vocal one was a tiny 4x4 who had ~20 cows out in the center of the basin. The other 5 all sounded bigger. Wind was perfect so I slowly worked my way close as shooting light approached. The terrain they were in was perfect. Little meadows mixed with small groves of pines right at timberlne. I skirted a meadow close to the best sounding bugles and tucked myself behind a dead 4' shrub. The two bulls appeared in the pines 50 yards in front of me and moved broadside into the open meadow 40 yards away. I was so beaten up from the first week my intent was to shoot the first bull I got in range, so I didn't focus on the points at all. I could see the first one out was a shooter so I focused on his vitals, drew my bow, and let loose an Illinois buck grunt to which he stopped and looked. 40 yard shot impacted center cut and I could see blood spurt. He hustled off and I noted his route. His buddy followed. He turned out to be the smaller one so I made right decision. I waited an hour and picked up the trail. Saw his sweet rack sticking up from the scrub pines just 110 yards from impact. Very pleased with size, I estimate 330" gross. All other bulls seen on this hunt were raghorns. Really got stupid lucky.

Hiked down to locate a packer who brought a horse Monday to pack out my bull. I hung around town a few days flyfishing while waiting for processing. Caught lots of trout.

This was a rough backpack trip. I ended up going up and down 4 round trips. However, ended up with a very nice bull above my expectations.

Thanks zia & jay for your updates and tips. Fun trip in the end. Will be in Denver a week then head up to Wyoming for moose hunt.

Taz
09-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Yes! Great story Zim way to make it happen, what a beautiful bull. I am so fired up right now, I just went through all my gear and did a test run on my pack. Oct. 13 can't come fast enough!

I'm looking forward to the pictures of your Moose!!

Zim
09-24-2011, 01:46 AM

The bighorns have to check out everything up there.

Get back, varmints!

Zim
09-24-2011, 02:06 AM

My camp just below timberline.

Elk feeding in basin AM.

More.

Pissed off 5x6 cut off from herd due to rimrock.

He has very good mass. His left backs are stronger than the photos show. I am eager to tape him. Might be 330".

Don K
09-24-2011, 07:05 AM
Zim,

Nice pictures and again a great job staying mentally strong. You also forgot to mention your one partner backed out before the hunt and the other one had to leave after a couple days. You hung in there and ended up filling your tag with a nice bull.....

Good luck with Bullwinkle!!!!

Don

Zim
09-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Yes there were supposed to be 3 of us. One backed out due to kids activities a week prior to the hunt. The other partner backpacked in and hunted 3 days but got really sick with a flu and had to go down. As mentioned it was very cold, muddy, wet & windy. There was 80% snow cover when we originally hiked in. The elk were silent and not even coming out the first 7 days. Then everything changed and my only stalk lasted less than an hour.

zia
09-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Great job Zim!! Inspiring mental and physical toughness, way to go!

Bitterroot Bulls
09-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Very nice Zim! Love those pics!

Zim
09-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I green scored him at 331 4/8 gross, 322 1/8 net P&Y.

Update 12/12/11: After the 60 day dry period I had P&Y measurer tape him at 330 3/8 gross, 320 1/8 net.

IL Hntr
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Very nice bull, congrats!

jay
09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
great bull zim! congrats!

just got off the mountain myself. here is a pic of my 2011 black powder muley!

zia
09-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Very nice buck Jay! Congratulations!

Taz
09-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Velvet! wow that's a great buck! nice work.

is there any snow up there?

jay
09-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks zia, we pulled out two bucks off the same ridge about 150 yards apart on different days.

Yeah taz, but he kinda scraped one side a little when he rolled down hill before getting caught up on the big fur tree, taxidermist said it wouldn't be a problem though. No, no snow yet. It snowed about three weeks ago but melted within a day or two.

Thanks guys!

Zim
09-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Good job, Jay! I was seeing 2 bucks about that same size almost daily in the basin we were hunting. They were bedded inside the timber a couple hundred yards below the lake. I was within bow range several times. What does a buck like that score?

There was a lot of snow when we arrived 9/12. 80% ground cover at the top, but it melted off each day. Very sloppy and muddy the whole hunt.

jay
09-29-2011, 04:54 PM
thanks zim, good bull also. I don't think i've heard of anyone pulling anything that nice from that area this season. good job! I would guess he's around the 150's.

Skybuster1329
09-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Cool Story and some great pictures !!

dhershberger
09-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Wow, beautiful bull Zim especially for the Pecos. Nice buck also he should be in the high 150's!

Taz
10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Zia, have you been in the pecos? Do you think we will still hear bugleing bulls for the first rifle season?

zia
10-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Just got back last night, we had to come back early as my brother-in-law got bad altitude sickness. couldn't breathe, eat or even talk. Made for a quiet camp and saved on food but hard to kill anything. We were in snow to our knees in some places but had quite a few bugling bulls, one nice herd bull at 100 yards. Hard to shoot if you can't get off your horse though. Poor dude, neat guy.went with me last year to the Valle Vidal on a hunt I guided and fell in love with elk hunting (below 12,000 feet). This was a fun thread, good luck to all. Maybe we should have a Eastmans Pecos elk hunt one year.

Taz
10-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Sorry to hear about that Zia, sounds like you were dialed in! I leave tomorrow for the Pecos-will be reporting back when I return.

zia
10-13-2011, 08:41 PM
went from this........18471848 to this in 24 hours, came off the mountain to take my brother-in-law home, went back up Monday with another friend/tag holder. We rode 6-8 hours a day Monday through Wednesday and didn't hear another bugle. Hopefully they will turn back on for the rifle guys.

jay
10-18-2011, 02:19 PM
My sons first black powder bull!!! Pretty proud of him, first day out hiked probably 7 miles in about 8 inches of snow. Didn't see one elk, but day two was all about the payback! Bulls bugling, rut action all day long! Were after a big 6x6 that wouldn't leave his cows for sh*t but this guy presented himself with a perfect broadside shot at about 50 yards and couldn't pass him up. Great job son!

NoMoreOldNo7
10-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Congrats to your son. My partner and I are heading to the Pecos for the second rifle hunt on Wednesday, can't wait to get back there. Again,wtg to on the bull, hoping a little hard work pays off for us as well.

Zim
10-19-2011, 12:15 AM
taz, I tried calling your a few times but no answer and no voice mail. Hope you are able to get around in the snow. And have some luck.

I just arrived home from Wyoming. Fired up the box freezer and squeezed both the elk & moose in there, barely. Literally I don't think I could get one more 2 pound hamburger package in there.

I am so tired. Been driving for 3 days. Time to hang out in office and heal up. Whitetail rut will kick in soon. Mentoring a kid next 2 weekends then I'm off to JEPC.

zia
10-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Way to go Jay and son, great bull!! Well deserved, that snow made for some "interesting" hunting. Our bugling activity was all Saturday, one friend had one misfire (only primer fired) on a 5x5 with 3 cows that day and nothing after. I helped another friend pack out a rifle killed 5x5 yesterday on the east side but didn't hear anything talking. Any other rifle guys back?

Zim
10-19-2011, 02:23 PM
BTW - I was able to finish out the 2nd leg of my combo trip with a small Wyoming bull moose. Good lord I hope they get a grip on wolf management before they plunder NM. My moose unit near Jackson was near void of all game. A mere shell of it's former self. I had 3 outfitters tell me how lucky I was to get anything. They had clients go home empty-handed for the 1st time.

Zim
10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Check out my meat wagon going home to Illinois. Never needed to haul so many coolers before. Really put the hurt on my poor Jeep springs! ;)

Can't believe I made it all the way home without getting one finger from a soccer mom anti!

Fink
10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
This has been a really neat thread, congrats on all the success guys!

Elkoholic307
10-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Hahaha, that's awesome!

Z Barebow
10-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Whole smokes Zim! Your jeep was doing a wheelie all of the way home! It is a high class problem when when going back to "work" is resting up! (I have a desk job, so I can relate!)

Way to go.

Zim
10-21-2011, 12:46 AM
zia, Do you know if Joe's father-in-law, Larry, scored a bull on his Pecos muzzleloader hunt?

zia
10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I didn't see him, but if he hunted the area you were in I would have missed him.

westernwannabe
10-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Zim looks like you had a trip of a lifetime hope you enjoyed it!

Taz
10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
sucsess! home from the Pecos three out of four of us filled our tag, the largest of the bulls was a 4X5 that scores in the 260 range I was told. Reason I didn't see it first hand, because two of us moved after the second day of the hunt, due to hunting pressure on hamilton messa. On the fourth day of the hunt I scored on a small 3X3 my partner filled his tag the next morning on a 3X3 as well, we saw 3 bulls while we were there. Two of which we killed, I did find a 300+ 6X6 in a meadow that was apprently shot in the muzzle load or archery hunt. Feel sorry for the guy who lost this one. The fourth hunter in our group put his unfilled tag on. It was an amazing hunt with some incredible scenery! Thanks to all who helped and I agree this was a very fun thread to be a part of. I will try to post some pictures soon.

Taz

jay
10-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Congrats taz

zia
10-27-2011, 12:59 PM
That is great news Taz, congratulations! Hope you can post some pictures. Good job!

Taz
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Good news is they only get bigger from here
camp
Tanners first elk
The one that got away...this is the one I found in the meadow, his fourth point is giant as well as his brow tines

Zim
10-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Ron, I picked up my deer at Joe's Tuesday night but it was late and raining.

Got any close ups of the funky rack?

Taz
10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
No Zim, don't have any other pictures of that rack I should be getting it deliverd to me in one week, maybe I'll stop by with it.

crankbait321
02-01-2012, 10:34 AM
We are trying to decide between going during Archery season into 45 or trying for muzzleloader. When do the bulls seem to be most vocal in 45? We just love to go when they are bugling the best. Any suggestions?

jay
02-02-2012, 12:07 PM
It just depends on the year...some years its during the mid/later part of archery and sometimes its during black powder. I've even seen it during first rifle.

Zim
03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Anybody interested in joining me for an archery elk drop camp in 45 this year? My partner dropped out. I got a cheap outfit lined up. Looking to split costs & get in outfitter pool.

jay
03-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Who are you planning on using Zim?

Zim
03-16-2012, 03:41 PM
PM sent. But does not look too good right now. Got all no's from my hunting buddies. Guess the bull I got last year did not motivate them enough? I am applied for quite a few other hunts with legit odds, but I could combo with all, and I sorely love that high country. Although successful, I really got gyped out of the bluebird days up there I love so much. I may ask the g/f to bury me up there when I pass. :)

Zim
03-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I just ended up applying in the unguided pool so Extremely unlikely to draw, but hey at least I can say I tried. Went with unit 45, 52 & 49 archery. Figure I'l have maybe an 8% chance. I've hunted all 3 of these units before, so if I draw I won't have any research to do.

Fink
03-29-2012, 08:14 AM
I just ended up applying in the unguided pool so Extremely unlikely to draw, but hey at least I can say I tried. Went with unit 45, 52 & 49 archery. Figure I'l have maybe an 8% chance. I've hunted all 3 of these units before, so if I draw I won't have any research to do.

Good luck. I applied for 45, 51 and 52... What seasons did you apply for?

jay
03-29-2012, 09:38 AM
good luck guys, all are good areas depending on when the rut hits this year. Let us know if you draw.

backus12
04-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Well Zim congrats. I watched that bull and six others for a week and I only had a deer tag. Glad someone got him. Hopefully I'll be back there this fall with an elk tag.

Zim
04-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Good luck. I applied for 45, 51 and 52... What seasons did you apply for?

45 & 49 only have one archery season, but for 52 I chose 2nd archery.