PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a pistol?

ckink65284
06-29-2013, 11:15 AM
I have not found a satisfactory way to carry a pistol while backpacking yet. I have been using a North Face and a Kelty pack thus far and have an Eberlestock JP9 on the way. I am considering trying the "large padded accessory pouch", but quick access might be an issue.

Thigh rig maybe?

What kind of setups or holsters do you run to carry a defensive pistol while backpacking?

switchback
06-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Personally what I have found works well for me is to carry on my hip, I just where my belt a little loose so my pistol sits a little low as to not get in the way of my waist belt on my pack.

Sawfish
06-29-2013, 02:33 PM
I used a Crooked Horn Outfitters pack for many years because it had a strap over the belt that was intended for accessories, but worked great for a holster. A couple of years ago, I bought a Badlands pack, but it did not have that feature, so I adapted a clip on holster to fit through one of the accessory slots on the belt. You can also adapt a holster for carrying a large pistol to center chest carry, by clipping it to your pack straps.

Colorado Cowboy
06-29-2013, 03:57 PM
I guess I'm pretty old fashioned as I use a GI web belt with a canteen and carry my S & W 686 4" cross draw on the belt. I also use the new suspenders they issue now. GI web belt is all I have ever used in over 60 years of tramping the country.

In God We Trust
06-29-2013, 06:38 PM
I am going to a hip holster as well. My buddy uses one and swears by it. With a badlands pack the waist carry doesn't work.

ckink65284
06-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Well, I have just discovered that Blackhawk makes a platform that will screw right on to my existing holster and clip on the Molle webbing on the waistband of the pack. All that and it's only $17.

I am gonna give it a shot.

JMSZ
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I have not found a satisfactory way to carry a pistol while backpacking yet. I have been using a North Face and a Kelty pack thus far and have an Eberlestock JP9 on the way. I am considering trying the "large padded accessory pouch", but quick access might be an issue.

Thigh rig maybe?

What kind of setups or holsters do you run to carry a defensive pistol while backpacking?

I've got a drop-leg (thigh) holster, it takes some getting used to, but I can leave it on at all times without having to on/off with a belt, etc.

I got mine from High Speed Gear (highspeedgearinc.com), but a bunch of different companies make them.

In God We Trust
06-30-2013, 09:37 PM
I meant thigh holster in my post not hip holster!

ckink65284
06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
I meant thigh holster in my post not hip holster!

Roger that. :)

I suppose a thigh rig makes the most sense. If I adapt my holster with a Molle attachment, where will my pistol be when I am sitting in camp sucking down dinner? Perhaps the best bet would be to have a system that is independent of the pack, yet does not interfere with it.

Good grief, so much gear to buy. It never ends...

300 short mag
07-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Look up diamond d custom leather they have what is called guide mode

JMSZ
07-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Roger that. :)

I suppose a thigh rig makes the most sense. If I adapt my holster with a Molle attachment, where will my pistol be when I am sitting in camp sucking down dinner? Perhaps the best bet would be to have a system that is independent of the pack, yet does not interfere with it.

Good grief, so much gear to buy. It never ends...

The drop-leg is designed specifically to stay clear of equipment on your torso - body armor, etc - so, it will stay clear of your pack also.

They have a vertical strap that attaches to your belt and the holster hangs off of that, a horizontal strap(s) holds the holster to your thigh.

You can take your pack, your jacket, etc all off and not have to take the drop-leg holster off. While you're eating, lounging around camp or answering the call, your pistol will be right at your side.

pcc2b
07-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I use a simple Blackhawk holster for my S&W 40. it is designed to be an outside the waistband holster and I just strap it to my hip belt on my Kuiu 5000 pack. It works great.

frogman43
07-10-2013, 04:21 PM

This is the holster i ordered and use with a S&W 25-7 in .45 Colt. Carries it out of the way on the lower side of your chest.....

mthuntress
07-10-2013, 06:47 PM
I have the Eberlestock Dragonfly and I carry a 357 in a Bulldog holster and it clips right on the pack.

Huntography
07-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Ditto on the leg/thigh holster. Been carrying my Glock 20 this way for a couple years. Works great.

Rudy

87TT
07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I guess it depends on what pistol you carry. I used to carry my GP100 .357 in a hip holster cross draw on a separate belt and kept it loose enough not to interfer with my packs hip belt. Lately I've tried to shed weight and carry a SW 340PD. 5 shot .357 that weighs in at 12 oz. empty. I have a nylon holster that I just put on my belt and it rides below the hip belt.

frogman43
07-20-2013, 02:56 PM

They are great holsters. That's the very one I use to pack my S&W 25-7 and a S&W 629 Mountain Gun!

B'tyne
01-12-2014, 01:34 PM
I have carried on my hip...the issue is two fold...my pack doesn't ride properly on my hips and my weapon is not readily accessible when under my jacket and then the hip belt of my pack.

I discovered the Safepacker, which was designed for rescue workers to carry when fast roping, working in high angle rescue operations, etc. (I forget where I ordered mine...but now see that Dillon Precision is carrying them in the last issue that just arrived.) I hang the Safepacker on the Mollie straps of my J34 waist belt, strong side, and it is protected, secure, readily available, and my pack rides properly.

IdahoSkies
01-19-2014, 08:11 PM
I use the safepacker as well. I have really liked it. Its very versatile in how to attach it to your pack and I have no complaints. You can order them from midway, or a bunch of other retailers. I ordered directly from the factory when I bought mine, but I think they are not doing direct sales any more.

jenbickel
01-19-2014, 09:13 PM
I have a Badlands super day pack and it has a spot for a pistol. I carry my .41 mag in there comfortably! I love it!

Boilermaker
02-21-2014, 03:33 PM
I second the Blackhawk holster (for .40 Glock), slips right on the waist belt of my Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. It is very stable, comfortable, and accessible.

OregonJim
02-21-2014, 11:02 PM
I have been using a Nimrod pack system for the last three years and I love it. They have a holster that compliments the pack system very well and it has a nice big flap that covers the weapon very well. It is really nice when you are crawling through the tangled mess we have here on the oregon coast.

RockChucker30
02-22-2014, 04:41 PM
I've used the safe packer and found it to be a bit large and clumsy. I've tried hip holsters on the hip belt but then if you set the pack down the pistol is not accessible. Wearing a holster under the belt is uncomfortable and limits access.

The best method I've found is the HPG Kit Bag. Basically a chest pack for your possibles plus very secure and fast access for pistols sized up to a 4" barrel N frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

predator_master223
09-08-2014, 01:17 PM
I run a Simply Rugged Chesty Puller for my S&W 4" 629. It's adjustable as to where it rides, on your just or side. I can't say enough about Rob's work as I own several pieces of his gun leather. Prices are very fair for high quality leather.

MRC
09-08-2014, 05:26 PM

I went back and fourth on ways to carry and ended up with this. It's an osprey pack that I took to a leather repair guy who sewed on a strap on the side of the hipbelt. The holster is custom made kydex with 1.5" belt loops. It sits far enough back that it is out of the way but still available when needed. I simply take the holster off when I get to where I am going and put it on my regular belt when not wearing a pack. It's gen3 glock 20 chambered in 10mm, it also has a streamlight TLR-2s on it and night sights.

vince
09-08-2014, 08:14 PM
For me it depends on the handgun. For the most part I tend to prefer a chest holster or crossdraw when out in the mountains. It seems to stay out of my way better than a traditional belt type holster.

Grizz
09-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I wear a simple leather belt with my Ruger Alaskan II .44Mag on my left hip (crossdraw) and a can of bear spray on my right hip. The belt rides lower than the hip belts on all my packs and does not get in the way. I did not want the Ursus Redirectional Devices on my pack because I'm not always wearing my pack. However, the belt can be quickly and quietly removed when I'm sitting and glassing or laying down to rest or riding in the truck or wherever those things get in the way, without taking off the belt holding up my pants. I've come to the conclusion that there is not a great way to carry a handgun and to just deal with a certain amount of discomfort and aggravation.