PDA

View Full Version : Bow on an ATV?

CoHiCntry
07-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Here in Colorado we have to have our bows fully encased on an ATV (don't ask me why?). I had an older Polaris and the front rack had enough slots in it to strap my bow case on with ratchet straps. Pain in the rear, but it worked. I recently bought a new 2013 Polaris and the new racks (front) don't have any slots, so no where to strap it down. I'm wondering if anyone has found a good way to strap a bow case to these type of racks? I'm kinda surprised Polaris doesn't make a case that attaches to there new style racks. Or maybe they do and I just missed it? So what has worked for you? Thanks...

buckbull
07-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Maybe you could get these to work with your current case.

http://www.superatv.com/Polaris-Sportsman-XP-Latch-And-Go-Mounts-P5434C626.aspx

CoHiCntry
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Maybe you could get these to work with your current case.

http://www.superatv.com/Polaris-Sportsman-XP-Latch-And-Go-Mounts-P5434C626.aspx

They might? I didn't realize they sold those separately. That's how you attach other accessories like my gun scabbard. I would have to get a second case and drill holes through it to make it work. Good idea though. Thanks!

Work2hunt
07-01-2013, 06:25 PM
You could try these...just some options.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/bow-cases/bow-cases.html

Work2hunt
07-01-2013, 06:39 PM
I knew I'd seen something else. Had to ask my buddy what he used. He uses this with a bow case.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/270/5153/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Tree-Stand-Carrier.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

velvetfvr
07-01-2013, 06:45 PM
I just take a soft case, and bungy the bow case on the front. Keeps the bow nice and clean and easy access. Also on a Polaris quad.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

In God We Trust
07-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Not trying to high jack your thread but Colorado has more than one bizzaro hunting law.

packmule
07-01-2013, 11:32 PM
True story!

I keep mine bungi corded down in a hard case with lots of form cushion. It's a habit from many years of having to float 4wheeler into some of the places I hunt.

trkytrack2
08-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I agree it's a really stupid law, especially the part of it that states that a recurve bow or a longbow must be unstrung and cased when traveling on an ATV. Why unstrung? Why not just in a case?

Old Hunter
08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
It's for the same reason a gun has to be unloaded. They don't want you hunting from a vehicle.

Law seems fine to me.

Colorado Cowboy
08-04-2013, 06:52 PM
It's for the same reason a gun has to be unloaded. They don't want you hunting from a vehicle.

Law seems fine to me.

Gun does not have to be UNLOADED......just nothing in the chamber in a vehicle. Magazine can have shells in it. Muzzleloader can be loaded to fire EXCEPT no cap or primer can be on the nipple or powder removed from the flashpan. On an OHV the gun must be in a hard or soft, fully enclosed case and in a firearm, nothing can be in the magazine or chamber. The curious thing is that the regs really don't spell out if a muzzleloader is considered unloaded on an ohv if it has powder and bullet in the barrel and nothing in the ignition area.

Just sayin....

ColoradoV
08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Gun does not have to be UNLOADED......just nothing in the chamber in a vehicle. Magazine can have shells in it. Muzzleloader can be loaded to fire EXCEPT no cap or primer can be on the nipple or powder removed from the flashpan. On an OHV the gun must be in a hard or soft, fully enclosed case and in a firearm, nothing can be in the magazine or chamber. The curious thing is that the regs really don't spell out if a muzzleloader is considered unloaded on an ohv if it has powder and bullet in the barrel and nothing in the ignition area.

Just sayin....

As cowboy said rifless have to be completely unloaded as in all shells taken out of the magazine and in a enclosed case here in Colorado if you are on a atv... Good rule as far as I am concerned.

trkytrack2
08-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Since a compound bow can't really be unstrung, the law should be that a compound bow has to be "In a hard case that is key locked" while it's on an ATV.

Old Hunter
08-05-2013, 11:11 PM

Just sayin....

I thought we were talking about an ATV? I know I was.

trkytrack2
08-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Clarification on my previous posts. I just re-read the Colorado hunting handbook "It's Against The Law" section, page 13, Number 5 says that all bows (re-curves, longbows and compounds) only have to be fully enclosed in a hard or soft case while on an OHV. So a re-curve or longbow doesn't have to be unstrung but they do need to be fully cased. My bad!

Colorado Cowboy
08-06-2013, 08:11 AM
I thought we were talking about an ATV? I know I was.

The only reason I brought it up is that Colorado law on this subject can sometimes be a bit confusing. Some big differences exist between atv & vehicle and I still can't figure out why this is necessary. I'm still a bit confused about the muzzleloader difference, as it seems to avoid it completely.

Old Hunter
08-06-2013, 09:11 AM
It's hard to unload a muzzleloader completely. You wouldn't expect a hunter to do it everytime he drove his ATV.

Colorado Cowboy
08-06-2013, 10:07 AM
It's hard to unload a muzzleloader completely. You wouldn't expect a hunter to do it everytime he drove his ATV.

I agree with you 100%, but in the atv regs it avoids it completely. Says nothing about muzzleloaders.

Old Hunter
08-06-2013, 10:51 AM
ML hunters don't use ATV's. We have boots. :D

CoHiCntry
08-06-2013, 04:57 PM
ML hunters don't use ATV's. We have boots. :D

Actually, I consider myself more of a muzzleloader hunter than an archery hunter. Although I do both. Use the ATV at both too when it makes sense.