PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu attack pants vs. guide pants

Montana
07-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Anyone out there own both pair? My primary condition for these pants will be late October thru the month of November and just a bit concerned the guide pant will be too much.
Thanks.

kiddwinner
07-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Ive been wondering that to, so if youre a tall guy, also write how they fit... im 6' 5"

cali_hornhunter
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
I've heard that the attack pant is more August- September early season pant and the guide pant for later seasons don't quote me on that it's just what I've seen other individuals discuss about on this topic

Montana
07-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys... I'll let you know what I find out.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-04-2013, 04:25 PM
I am not a tall guy, but I ran the Attacks all last season. They are light, stretchy, comfortable, and well-made. They breathe extremely well and are quite durable. I used them from the early season through November snows.

After using Sitka Ascents for years, I prefer the Attacks.

Montana
07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I am not a tall guy, but I ran the Attacks all last season. They are light, stretchy, comfortable, and well-made. They breathe extremely well and are quite durable. I used them from the early season through November snows.

After using Sitka Ascents for years, I prefer the Attacks.

How was running them thru November? Ever wish you had just a little heavier version?

Bitterroot Bulls
07-05-2013, 08:15 PM
How was running them thru November? Ever wish you had just a little heavier version?

They were great. The DWR works well on the snow. There were a couple of times I thought a heavier pant would be nice for glassing in the snow, but the Attacks handled it way better than I expected. I am on the fence myself on picking up some Guides for the last couple weeks of season.

The Attacks are the best overall hunting pants I have used so far.

Montana
07-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Ok.. thx. If they had brown in guide it would be done. Dont really love wearing camo during rifle season. Just personal and shouldn't carry any value but does :)

BigSurArcher
07-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I would recommend the Guide pants only if it were going to be real cold and you weren't going to be very mobile. Otherwise, the Attacks and a 185 weight Merino base layer to throw on when needed is an extremely versatile combo that should get you well into the late seasons. Like Matt said, the DWR is very good on the Attacks. I was swimming in my Attack shorts (homemade) yesterday and it's impressive how the water beads up and rolls off even after being submerged.

Todd

Montana
07-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks guys.

Montana
07-18-2013, 07:09 AM
Well I'll go with a full review for everyone through the end of this hunting season but ended up going with both. In all the reviews I read you really just need both. My initial concern was the guide pants were going to be too heavy. Not anymore. The pants are a very small step above the attack pants. Probably just perfect for the late fall.

Kuiu has really nailed down their product for arguably the best hunting clothing line. My continual frustration is their lack of service on carrying inventory. Its a shame they couldn't just nail it 100%.

Anyways. Full review coming late fall.

Montana
09-25-2013, 08:38 PM
I thought I would report back on this... I ended up with both pairs and just got back from a 7 day trip here in Montana. One of my biggest concerns is that the guide pants were going to be too hot to wear. It all comes down to what and where you are hunting. Our temps dropped down to 19 degrees and the guide pants with long under were perfect and were fine without long underwear up to about 55 degrees, then they became a little warm in high movement situations, that's when the attack pants kicked in.

The quality of Kuiu is top notch, I don't love their service, but I do love the quality... So there's my breakdown and when it comes down to it, it's just for you to decide on your hunting conditions.
15-55 degrees go with the guide
55+ go with the attack.

Hope that helps someone.