PDA

View Full Version : .30-30 - This Ones for You Old Hunter

Aught6Fan
07-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Inspired by Old Hunter's mention of using his .30-30 as a timber rifle, I finally took mine to the range for a little fun. For you tack drivers out there this seems like a poor group, measuring about 3 inches, but with these eyes, and iron sights, it looks pretty good to me. (Not sure if I remember how to post pics, hope they come out OK!) A6F

Colorado Cowboy
07-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Using factory ammo, this is pretty good. If you reload, you can do better. I recently read (can't remember exactly where) that the ammo producers do not take the time and $$$ to produce ammunition for certain calibers that are held to really tight QC standards as they know the rifles that they will be shot in are inherently not too accurate.

I remember years ago a friend of mine picked up a 30-30 bolt action (Marlin I think) and we worked up some pretty good loads for. I think they were 125 or 130 grainers. He shot a lot of deer with it and it would shoot minute groups easily.

Old Hunter
07-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Nothing wrong with that group for iron sights. What will you hunt?

I use a Winchester 94, and don't look for MOA groups. You can do better with yours, but really, that will kill anything.

I suspect it's the sights more than the gun/ammo. ;)

Aught6Fan
07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
You might suspect the loose nut behind the trigger too, OH! ;)

CC, No doubt in my mind the rifle can perform better than shown, even with this ammo, and certainly a custom load. The limiting factor is definitely my ability to use the iron sights. My eyes aint what they used to be.

I am actually surprised that the group is this good. I could not see the center target (using center hold) and had to center the front sight as best I could in the middle of the 4 outer targets. So I'm very happy with the results.

I plan to use this as a thick timber gun for deer and elk. I thinks she's shooting minute-o-elk at 100.

Colorado Cowboy
07-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Good luck, just get one to stand still and give em hell!

Musket Man
07-08-2013, 05:01 PM
What make/model rifle is that? I thought all 30-30's were lever actions ;) lol

Aught6Fan
07-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I thought so too, MM! But this one is a Savage 342 Series E.

Colorado Cowboy
07-08-2013, 06:22 PM
I believe Sears had one too.

Musket Man
07-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I thought so too, MM! But this one is a Savage 342 Series E.

Neat gun! How old is it? Bet you could have some fun handloading with bullets that wouldnt be safe in a tube magazine. I have 3 30-30's, all Winchesters. 1894 with octagon barrel made in 1896. 1894 SRC made in 1929. Model 55 takedown that was my grandfathers. I am thinking about taking 1 of them or my model 70 .243 with open sights on my WY antelope this fall!

Old Hunter
07-08-2013, 06:51 PM
I always use a 6 o'clock hold with iron sights. That way the front sight doesn't block the target. Much easier.

Aught6Fan
07-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Interesting story MM. The rifle is about 34 or 35 years old. The guy who would later become my brother-in-law got it as a present from his folks in '78 or '79, I think. It had that plain jane finish so many Savages had back then and he got the urge to refinish the stock, so I helped him. Well a few years later he decides to refinish it again. This was about the time I was getting ready to go into the Army. So a couple of years later I'm back home on leave and asked about the rifle. "I haven't finished it" he says ... I find out it has been apart and in a paper grocery bag at his home all this time ... well to make a long story short I tell him if he ever want to sell it let me know. He went and got the bag and sold it to me for $50! :D

OH, I was thinking about that after the fact. Once I get some 170 grainers, maybe I'll sight it in that way.