PDA

View Full Version : New tent

mthuntress
07-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm look at getting a new tent torn between the MSR Hubba and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1.
Looking at reviews it seems there mite be a problem with the Fly Creek in high winds.
Just would like some feed back if you have used one or both of these tents?
Thanks for the help!

Fink
07-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I can't help you on the MSR, but I really like my UL1. I've not encountered high winds, but have spent extended amounts of time above 11k in moderate winds, and have no complaints. I'm not a big guy, and my tent was just about perfect for me, with the vestibule offering enough room for my pack and boots.
My only complaint with the tent, is that I wish it was just a tad bigger. I'd like to be able to sit up in it, and I'd like a little more room in the back of the tent. But, for the 2 pounds that it weighs, I'm not sure it can be beat.

Huntography
07-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I returned my UL2 because I didn't like the opening at the feet.

I prefer a tub that goes all the way around and one that is fairly high so I got the MSR Nook instead and love it thus far.

Will be using it while filming my second elk hunting movie here in Colorado this fall.

Good luck.

Rudy

diyhntr
07-09-2013, 11:34 PM
I have a hubba hubba and really like it. I'm 6'1 and have no issue stretching out or sitting up. I had mine near 10,000 ft last year with. I issues. You'll want to stake it down if there's any chance of wind because it will take flight even with the fly on. The vestibules are roomy. It's easy to put up also. The fly on mine is yellow so jt will stand out if you pitch it in the open. Hope this helps.

LintonOutdoors
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I tried out the new Easton Kilo 2P tent this spring on some backcountry spring bear hunts and really liked it. Tons of room for a guy and his gear. Similar design to the Flycreek UL series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sni_gSsU0cA&list=UU8YN75ugdf1k7AgQvKp9Okw

mthuntress
07-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Thank for all the info. REI has both tents and I'm going to try them both out and go from there.
Best Wishes for all this hunting season!!Only 52 days left.

87TT
07-10-2013, 09:44 PM
I have a hubba hubba and really like it. I'm 6'1 and have no issue stretching out or sitting up. I had mine near 10,000 ft last year with. I issues. You'll want to stake it down if there's any chance of wind because it will take flight even with the fly on. The vestibules are roomy. It's easy to put up also. The fly on mine is yellow so jt will stand out if you pitch it in the open. Hope this helps.

ALWAYS stake down your tent. I've seen them take off several times even with gear inside. That said, one person tents always seen clausterphobic to me. Two man tents are a lot of weight for just one guy. If I was to backpack by myself, I would take an old fashioned
single wall pup tent. Light and will keep you dry and if pitched right will take any wind.

tdub24
07-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I own the BA Fly Creek UL2 and love it. At 2lbs 10 oz it is light. I chose the bigger size just for the more room, its only 7 oz. heavier than the UL1. Only thing I chose to do was replace the stakes that came with it to a different more hook style stake. Plenty of room for all my gear plus good head room when I sit up in the morning.

Eric Bailey
07-11-2013, 03:01 PM
ditto on the Fly Creek UL2.

tttoadman
07-11-2013, 03:30 PM
I own the BA Fly Creek UL2 and love it. At 2lbs 10 oz it is light. I chose the bigger size just for the more room, its only 7 oz. heavier than the UL1. Only thing I chose to do was replace the stakes that came with it to a different more hook style stake. Plenty of room for all my gear plus good head room when I sit up in the morning.

ditto again: only in the field once, but I really like it. I think i would like a side entrance, but most of those are all a little heavier. I was encouraged by fellow members here to get the footprint, and I can't agree more.

tdub24
07-11-2013, 08:38 PM
ditto again: only in the field once, but I really like it. I think i would like a side entrance, but most of those are all a little heavier. I was encouraged by fellow members here to get the footprint, and I can't agree more.

I don't know why, but I didn't realize their was a footprint. Guess I best be looking into it.

Rob P
07-13-2013, 09:43 AM
I have the fly creek ul2 as well and it has plenty of room for gear. But I would prefer a side entry. However you cant beat the weight of it

clacklin009
07-13-2013, 11:33 PM
i know you were not asking about the BA Copper Spur, however, with the comments on side entry I bought the Copper Spur UL1 because it is a side entry tent and I like it. The Copper Spur UL2 will weigh 3lb 12oz (includes the weight of the foot print approx. 7 oz.) Like what the has already been said, the Fly Creek will be a little less weight.

Mule3006Elk
07-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Can't comment on the MSR or Fly Creek. I have a Big Agnes Slater UL2. Love it. 59 x 96 inches. Great for gear in the tent. Light 2lbs. 15 oz. Less mesh which is great for Sept/Oct high elevation hunts when temperatures are a concern. I spoke with a product tech at Big Agnes. I think his name was Glenn. I asked him which tent (Big Agnes Slater UL2, Seedhouse SL3, and Fly Creek UL2) for a Sept/Oct high elevation hunt. He said hands down Slater. Just some thoughts.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I like the looks, specs, and prices of the new GoLite Imogene UL tents.

I have found GoLite, as a brand in general to offer a lot of performance for the price.

jarheadhunter
07-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but would you guys go with a Big agnes Seedhouse SL1 or a MSR Zoid 2 both are used two times? I am leaning towards the SL1.

Doe Nob
07-25-2013, 03:26 PM
I just sold my go lite Shangri La -1. It was too small for me being 6 foot 2 and sleeping in a park series bag. Plus getting in and out of a tent that pitches with trekking poles is an acrobatic feat, one which is no pleasure to undertake at 2 am when nature calls.

Here's a pretty great review of many of the tents on the market. I'm still undecided, I want a UL 2 man (under 3 lbs packed) double wall with a vestibule big enough for my pack and boots - still searching.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Tent-Reviews

RckyMtnNative
07-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Jarheadhunter, I can’t comment on the MSR Zoid but I used the BA Seedhouse all season last year (both backpacking and hunting) and it’s one of the best tents I’ve ever invested in. I used it in the “quick pitch” mode a few times (using only the fly, poles & footprint) to cut additional weight. Worked great.

jarheadhunter
07-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Both of the tents I was looking at getting sold before I made my mind up. I ended up finding a good deal on a very lightly used Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2. 3 lbs with everything for a 2 man. Enough room for me and my pack inside, plus a decent size vestible for my boots and what not. Can't waitto get it up on the mt and try it out.

AT Hiker
08-12-2013, 06:42 AM
If you get the MSR go ahead and get the Hubba Hubba. For the slight difference in extra weight you will gain a lot of room. I have used my hubba hubba in the Appalachian Mountains during the spring where it rained 3 days straight and I stayed dried. I used it in WY and it withstood the wind.

REI is a great place to buy as well, their customer service is great.

Make sure you get the MSR foot print too.

lookinforwater
09-15-2013, 07:27 AM
I also have a MSR Hubba Hubba, and I am really pleased with it. It has plenty of room inside for me and all of my gear, and the vestibules on both sides are really nice. I have 6 points for elk and deer in Wyoming, but I am a little worried about using it on a later rifle hunt for elk.