PDA

View Full Version : hunting muleys with a bow in the pinon country and open stuff

muleywannabe
07-12-2013, 02:28 PM
any help would be awesome. how they travel, what to look for....etc etc.

I am used to hunting the plains and flat stuff or the high country....I am using a bow of course to make things more difficult, haha.

hardstalk
07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Intercept them at first lite heading for water. Leaving water and headed to bed. Or worst case watch them bed and close the distance from the opposite way they laid down. Pre season scouting is the key to figuring out a habit. This advice applies for early season bowhunts. Late season is a bit different. I have found it much easier to intercept than to stalk. You still have to be sneaky but when a deer is focused on finding a drink or finding a hiding place from the sun you have a great advantage.

muleywannabe
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
This place has water on it for sure. I have some private land that is 5500 acres to hunt. it has good sized canyons and a ton of pinons, it also holds elk but I dont have a tag for them. I will be hunting early september bow hunt in colorado

hardstalk
07-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Sounds like glassing and scouting is your key. Early mornings late evenings pick apart tree lines With the spotter and figure out enter and exit corridors. Or tasty sections of land that attract them.

muleywannabe
07-15-2013, 08:52 AM
good points! Thanks

MacDonald
07-15-2013, 10:42 PM
And you'll be surprised at the places they can use for beds. Around Sonora Pass in CA, we used to hunt in that area, and I've seen beds scoured out under sage that you could fit a VW Beetle into! Mike's got three books out on hunting muleys, all extremely valuable tools, and Cameron Hanes has a good one on back country bowhunting also.

Glassing early and late is a great way to locate the boys. If you have the time, make an effort to work out a pattern because they can be ambushed if they're not pressured.

nvarcher
07-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Sounds like you need someone to go with you and help strategize, and you know maybe shoot a deer too! ;)