PDA

View Full Version : Need a backpacking system (tent, pack, and bag) for $1200 or less

jschaffer
07-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I am getting back into short (2-5 days) backpack hunts. This year in Wyoming for elk, next year in Alaska for Caribou. I have a budget of $1000 to $1200 and need a pack, tent, and a sleeping bag (guessing a 0 degree bag). Would like it to be a pretty light system. Hunts mainly in August, September and early October. Any advice?

Rob P
07-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Do you not need a sleeping pad? Must have in my opinion. You could get a brand new marmot helium 15* bag on ebay for $300, BA fly creek 2 for $300, that would leave you with $600 left for an Kuiu Icon 7200.

If you want 0* bag instead I'm sure your can find one for a similar price.

jschaffer
07-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks Rob...

I have a pretty good pad already, so I think I am square there. Been looking at the Icon 5200, but I keep running across some negative reviews about how the frame/suspension rides under load. Also looking at the Blacks Creek Solution, Eberlestock J134, and the Mystery Ranch Bighorn. As for tents, I am clueless.

Joe

Bitterroot Bulls
07-12-2013, 10:33 PM
How tall are you, jschaffer?

Do you want a double wall tent? Tarptent? Floorless? Bivy? 1 person or 2?

ivorytip
07-12-2013, 10:48 PM
a good bivy sack will save on pound issues and space issues. lintonoutdoors is one hell of a cool site for all your gear.

jschaffer
07-12-2013, 11:17 PM
6' tall, about 190 lbs. As for tent, probably a light 2 person, three season (can't imagine I'll be out much to require a four season, especially to get the condensation issues that I have heard come with those). A good one person tent may also work, but I would like a bit more room than what a bivy would provide.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Ok here is my recommendation:

Pack: Stone Glacier Solo ($560, 3.63 lbs.)

Sleeping Bag: Kelty Ignite Long ($210, 2.94 lbs)

Shelter: GoLite Imogene UL2 ($250, 2.68 lbs.)

total cost: $1020
total weight: 9.25 lbs.

That is at the low end of your budget, and at a low weight.

Fink
07-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Solid suggestions here. I wish I had BB to consult with before I had purchased all my stuff.. I'm pretty sure my pack alone weights 9.25 pounds..

MtnHunter
07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Look at Kifaru packs. I bought one before hunting Alaska last year and really like it. With a removable top that can be made into a day pack, the pack has huge capacity, but can be cinched down to be really compact. It is relatively light compared to other packs that have 6000-7000 in. Capacity.

clacklin009
07-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Pack: I think this is where the biggest weight differential will come in and it will be based mostly on how much you want to spend. I went for a heavier pack, a little over 5 lbs. because I was not willing to spend what it would cost for the lighter packs.

Bag: I think all good 0* down bags will be within .5lb of each other so it will be more about fit and brand preference (I think they all fit the same-horrible.) I would go with Marmot or Big Agnes. Big Agnes is nice if you are getting the system from them because they have bags that do not have insulation on the bottom to save weight, instead they have a spot to slip their pad into, they have insulated pads for those bags and non insulated bags. I know you already have a pad so that is probably not an option you are looking for.

Tents:

Marmot Pulsar 2p is $349, and is 3lb 14oz (does not include foot print weight or cost) and packs to 8x23 inches.

BA Fly Creek Platinum 2p is $499.99, and weighs 2lb 8oz (includes the foot print weight but not cost) and packs to 5x19 inches.

BA Copper Spur 2p is $399, and weights 3lb 12oz (includes the foot print weight but not cost) and packs to 6x18 inches.

As you can see cost will save you some space and lb with the platinum.

I use the Copper Spur 1P.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Look at Kifaru packs. I bought one before hunting Alaska last year and really like it. With a removable top that can be made into a day pack, the pack has huge capacity, but can be cinched down to be really compact. It is relatively light compared to other packs that have 6000-7000 in. Capacity.

I would have also recommended the Kifaru Timberline 2, Bikine/Timberline 2, or Bikini/Highcamp, but the wait time on one right now will put him well into hunting season. I think Schnees might have the Stone Glacier in stock, and it is a fine pack as well, and a bit lighter.

mcseal2
08-04-2013, 08:12 AM
I have the J34 and love it, but haven't tried the packs these other guys are talking about. They might well be better but the J34 works great for me.

I have a Kifaru paratarp and parastove I really like for shelter. I use a GI poncho for a groundsheet

Can't give a great choice for a pad and bag I'm not real happy with what I have. I'd like to try a Kifaru Slickbag. Alaska is known to be wet so if you go down you will want to be sure it stays dry. Might be worth looking at one of the best synthetics but it will be heavier. Maybe a down bag and bivy sack would be better in the floorless shelter, I've thought about that also.

hoshour
08-04-2013, 01:02 PM
My tent suggestion is the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 at $370. It is a 2-man tent that with rain fly, poles, stakes, and stuff sack weighs 2 lbs 10 oz In warm weather, just take the rain fly (8 oz) and the footprint that is sold separately (10 oz) = 1 lb 2 oz

I have one and love it. The quality is good and it is super quick and easy to set up and very lightweight.

Like most 2-man tents, at 28 sq. ft. it is really a 1+. The only person who shares it with you should be your wife.

I know you have a pad but to me the pad is more important than the tent, especially since you can just take a rain fly for cover.

I love the REI Stratus insulated air sleeping pad. At 1 lb 9 oz. for the XL size I use there are way lighter and thinner pads out there for sure but I can't sleep comfortably on them.

I'm only a men's size large for clothing but I need more thickness and width in my pad. Maybe its because those of us over 50 have a hard time getting a good night's sleep, anyway. Man, to sleep like I did when I was 20...!

Mine is 26x78 pad by 2.5 inches thick and I can sleep comfortably in any position, even on my side. There's nothing more important when you are beating your body up backpacking and hunting than getting a good night's sleep. It packs down to 5x10 inches. The regular size is 1 lb 4 oz and is 20x72.

jschaffer
08-06-2013, 10:31 PM
thanks Guys... I have been looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur or Fly Creek. Still haven't landed on the pack, but have been leaning to the Just One by Eberlestock.

Grantbvfd
12-23-2013, 12:14 AM
thanks Guys... I have been looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur or Fly Creek. Still haven't landed on the pack, but have been leaning to the Just One by Eberlestock.

I would go with the copper spur. The side vestibule is a lot easier to get in and out of. And cook while laying down.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

JNDEER
12-23-2013, 09:59 AM

get to a store that has them in stock (the pack) and try it on. If they allow returns, buy it and load it up and hike with it. Make sure it fits you well. I have the J104 and J34. I like both packs, but they do not hold heavy weight as well as some of the other packs listed (Kuiu, Kifaru, Stone Glacier) etc. Granted it will take a load and as much as you can carry, it IMO just won't be as comfortable as some of the other beefy packs.

Kentucky hunter
12-23-2013, 09:05 PM
BB is right what ever you do go light or your ass be draging before you get started wish I had been on here an had these guys when I was geting in to western hunting.

Kentucky hunter
12-23-2013, 09:15 PM

I have the J34 it will hold more than I can pack had around 50 pounds in it this Oct I was running a mile a day here in KY for a month or so had got up to two miles a few times but was hard with the hours I work an when we hit the trail I was sucking wind dont know if it was me or the 50 pound pack or the 10,000 feet at one point I wished I had went with a lighter pack an gun

LaHunter
12-24-2013, 10:25 AM
I used the J34 pack this past October for a week in the Big Horns. This pack starts out at about 7.5 to 8 lbs empty. That is on the heavy side. The J34 pack is extremely durable and I don't think I could tear the material if I tried. The pack fit me very well and felt good with up to about 35 lbs. It does good in 'day pack mode'. When I got heavier than that, the pack started to sag. During summer training with the pack at about 65-70 lbs, it sagged pretty bad and a lot of weight was on my shoulders. I have since sold the J34 and bought a Kuiu Icon 5200. I can tell that it carries weight much better than the J34 just by loading it up with my training sand bag at about 60-65 lbs, but I have not hiked with it at all. For the price range, the J34 is very good. In my limited experience this past October in the mountains, I learned that every little ounce matters, especially for those of us who live at lower elevations and aren't acclimated to high elevations. It only took me one trip to the mountains to increase my 'pack budget' to cut some lbs and increase load carrying ability. I would pay close attention to what guys like BB recommend. They spend ALOT of time in the mountains and have already learned what works best.

Good Luck

gladen8
01-21-2014, 03:35 PM
I have used the following for the last couple years and it has worked really well for me hunting elk in WY/MT.

Pack - Eberlestock Blue Widow. This is a great pack and I hunt with it at about 35-40 lbs. on a 3-5 day hunt (including 2 water bladders filled). It is also nice that I can haul an elk quarter out to the truck on my first trip out to get my meat hauling pack...no wasted trips.

Sleeping Bag - I use the Marmot Helium (Membrane). This is a super-light and small bag that is built for these types of backcountry trips. It packs down to about the size of a loaf of bread and less than 2 lbs. I use it well into October and have not gotten cold yet. I usually only wear my long underwear to bed and I am toasty.

Tent - The last couple years I have used the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 (2p) which is a really lightweight tent (under 2 lbs.). Its a bit cozy for 2 people though but gets the job done. I recently bought a Easton Kilo 3 but have not used it yet. I will take it out in the Boundary Waters this Spring to test. I have used bivy sacks in the past but prefer tents, especially in crappy weather.

mandrroofing
02-05-2014, 07:25 PM
All great sugesstions here.Here is what i have and like it very much.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/?product=revelation-800
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xlite/product
http://www.eberlestock.com/X2%20Pack.htm
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html
3 peice sleep system runs in around $800.00 and around 4.5 pounds...
If you add a stuff sack its even more compact!
The stuff sack had the pad bag and tent in it 4.5 pounds including the stuff sack

Musket Man
02-06-2014, 01:41 AM
can you give a little more info on that tent! Does it have a floor? How durable is the material? How does it do in wind? Is there enough room in it for 1 person and their gear? Thanks!!

marcusvdk
02-06-2014, 01:51 PM

Definitely look into any recommendations that BB gives, he is definitely one of the person to go to on the forum when it comes to backpacking equipment and keeping the weight down for caring in.

marcusvdk
02-06-2014, 02:04 PM
can you give a little more info on that tent! Does it have a floor? How durable is the material? How does it do in wind? Is there enough room in it for 1 person and their gear? Thanks!!

Yeah those tents look good, I was wondering the same things as MM.