PDA

View Full Version : Archery Antelope

goatpoop
07-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Anybody draw any Antelope tags? I did and this will be my first antelope hunt. Does anybody have any spot and stalk pointers for me?

Montana
07-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Try to hunt country that has some breaks. Make sure its not too flat. You will have a blast. My past archery hunts have always been successful. There won't be an hour in the day that you aren't putting together a stalk.
Their rut is the same as elk. Make sure to get a decoy.
Enjoy.

Umpqua Hunter
07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
When is typically the best rut activity in Montana, something like mid September?

Bitterroot Bulls
07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
When is typically the best rut activity in Montana, something like mid September?

UH, where I hunt it seems like mid-Sept to the first week of Oct.

NVBird'n'Big
07-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Try to hunt country that has some breaks. Make sure its not too flat. You will have a blast. My past archery hunts have always been successful. There won't be an hour in the day that you aren't putting together a stalk.
Their rut is the same as elk. Make sure to get a decoy.
Enjoy.

Off the Montana topic but has anyone had success using a decoy outside of the rut?

hardstalk
07-17-2013, 11:03 AM
I didnt have any luck last season using a decoy hat pre rut. But horses work great if you have access to them. Stand next to them and take your time closing the distance. Antelope dont mind horses and will let you get right up to bow range.

NVBird'n'Big
07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I didnt have any luck last season using a decoy hat pre rut. But horses work great if you have access to them. Stand next to them and take your time closing the distance. Antelope dont mind horses and will let you get right up to bow range.

I wish I had access to em but unfortunately do not. I saw a guy last year shoot a lope standing on a moving baler in the middle of an alfalfa field, definitely not legal but it was pretty cool to watch. They pulled up right next to em and they didn't give a crap.

hardstalk
07-17-2013, 12:34 PM
I spent 4 days on my hands and knees last year. They always had a 70-80 yard buffer. On the last day I rolled the ponies out. Walked behind them. First stalk took about 2 hours. Closed the distance to 60. Second stalk took about 2 hours and closed the distance to 50. Hes on the wall now! I made 23+ stalks on hands and knees. 2 with the horses. My odds greatly increased :)

goatpoop
07-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Has anybody tried Be the Decoy hats? I bought one off camofire the other day. I don't know if this a good way to end up on the Darwin's awards.

hardstalk
07-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Has anybody tried Be the Decoy hats? I bought one off camofire the other day. I don't know if this a good way to end up on the Darwin's awards.

I tried it pre rut last season. They didnt seem to mind it but kept an 80 yard buffer

TheWanderer
07-19-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm in the midst of planning a hunt for next year. I have no access to horses (traveling from out east). Anyone have success with a cow decoy?