PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Red Desert elk 100/ 102 deer

basscat25
08-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Wondering if anyone has information they would like to share on area 100-1 elk and 102-1 deer. Drew both of them this year. I drew 100-1 elk last year. Just looking for a little more info on both. I spent alot of time in the red desert last year but only found a few decent bulls. Been trying to scout but work is interfering. Thanks

Colorado Cowboy
08-08-2013, 07:07 AM
If you drew a 100 elk tag 2 years in a row, you must be a Wyo resident!!! Impossible for a NR to do!

basscat25
08-08-2013, 07:45 AM
If you drew a 100 elk tag 2 years in a row, you must be a Wyo resident!!! Impossible for a NR to do!

Is this forum only for non residents???? Obviously I'm a resident. Just doing some homework and seeing if anyone has additional info to add to mine is all.

Colorado Cowboy
08-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Couldn't tell from your profile! Just sayin.......as I have been trying to draw 100 since the piont system was started for NR's.

Obviously not just for NR's!

kiddwinner
08-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Wondering if anyone has information they would like to share on area 100-1 elk and 102-1 deer. Drew both of them this year. I drew 100-1 elk last year. Just looking for a little more info on both. I spent alot of time in the red desert last year but only found a few decent bulls. Been trying to scout but work is interfering. Thanks

My sister drew that tag too, I work with some people from green river/rock springs... maybe we could help each other out. PM me if you want.

ssliger
08-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Pm me for questions on 102.

shootbrownelk
08-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Not so, Wyoming residents don't have preference points for elk or deer. Check the draw results, non-residents with the max points have much better odds. It seems Basscat25 is one LUCKY bugger!

Colorado Cowboy
08-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Not so, Wyoming residents don't have preference points for elk or deer. Check the draw results, non-residents with the max points have much better odds. It seems Basscat25 is one LUCKY bugger!

I don't know how you figure that! The only NR's that draw this tag are the ones with MAX points period! Once you've used those points you probably will never be able to draw it again (or any other unit that requires max points for that matter) on your lifetime. You start all over again in the points chase and probably will never again have max points credited to you.

Residents (if they are lucky enough) could draw this or any other high demand unit several years in a row. Straight lottery....no points. yes he is one of those lucky ones.

I just went and checked the 2013 stats.....yes the odds are better for NR's, but like I said...draw once period.

Residents........90 tags....2802 applicants = .032%
NonResidents..regular draw..12 tags.....115 apps w/max pts. = .10%
" " ..special draw..9 tags.....60 apps w/max pts = 15%

mattdeere
08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
How many points are Max?

Colorado Cowboy
08-09-2013, 04:37 PM
How many points are Max?

Going into the 2013 draw the max points a NR could have was 7 for deer, elk or antelope.

basscat25
08-09-2013, 08:04 PM
I am extremely fortunate I was able to draw this twice in a row. Plus the 102 deer. I am going to take a lot of time and enjoy it. Probably won't happen again.

Topgun 30-06
08-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't know why the comment was made either because a NR would really have to be lucky in the random draw to get that tag and you would need max in the PP draws to have a chance at a tag, whereas theoretically a resident could draw it every year and that's why I favor a random draw over a PP system.

shootbrownelk
08-10-2013, 12:58 AM
I don't know why the comment was made either because a NR would really have to be lucky in the random draw to get that tag and you would need max in the PP draws to have a chance at a tag, whereas theoretically a resident could draw it every year and that's why I favor a random draw over a PP system.

The key word there is "Theoretically". I applied for a deer area for almost 20 years and never drew. I wish Wyoming residents had points for Elk & Deer. A non-resident applying for that same deer area with max points has a 30% chance...I have less than 3%.

Topgun 30-06
08-10-2013, 07:23 AM
The key word there is "Theoretically". I applied for a deer area for almost 20 years and never drew. I wish Wyoming residents had points for Elk & Deer. A non-resident applying for that same deer area with max points has a 30% chance...I have less than 3%.

***Sorry, but the fact is that you could have also drawn that tag 20 years in a row under a random system. I'd much rather have any kind of a chance at drawing a tag every year like residents do and the polls show that most Wyoming resident hunters agree. Each person has the same chance as the next and some people are just snake bit like it appears you are! That's why the proposal to institute a resident PP system died in Legislative hearings earlier this year in case you weren't aware of that! The Legislators were bombarded by their constituents telling them to leave things alone when it came up for hearings. Your key words regarding a PP system are "with max PPs" and if you aren't in on the ground floor when a system is started to have those max PPs your chances are slim and none in a PP system drawing. In the 7 years the NR PP system has been in existence in Wyoming there is already substantial "point creep" happening in a lot of the units and it will only get worse. I would suggest that you be happy with what you have because if your wish ever comes true I can just about guarantee that it will come back to bite you in the butt!

ssliger
08-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Lets get back on topic here, the guy is asking for help. Not asking for a debate on the pros and cons of pp's. To the OP, I'm in Rock Springs for the weekend and will ask around and try to get some info for your Elk tag. I might go for a drive out in your deer area Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Elkoholic307
08-10-2013, 04:16 PM
I am extremely fortunate I was able to draw this twice in a row. Plus the 102 deer. I am going to take a lot of time and enjoy it. Probably won't happen again.

That's pretty unbelievable. Were you able to fill that elk tag last year? If so, pictures are definitely in order!