PDA

View Full Version : Day Pack

MT dreaming
08-14-2013, 03:23 PM
I am looking to buy a day pack for an elk hunt next fall (2014). I will be hiring an outfitter and will use the pack mainly for extra clothes, water, food etc. I am thinking something in the 1800-2200 cubic inch range. This will be my first outfitted hunt. The Eberlestock x1 or x2 looks good. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

NVbowhnter
08-14-2013, 04:23 PM
My advice would either be the Tenzing TZ 2220,either the Eberlestock x1 or x2. both seem like really well thought out packs, I personally use the TZ 2220 and i really love it, I like the stiff back because it functions as a really awesome gun rest on the feild.

BobT
08-14-2013, 05:25 PM
The Eberlestock x1 or x2 looks good. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have the X-1 and really like it, comfortable and can carry quite a load if required.

Bob

beav906
08-15-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm a fan of the x1 also. I was in the archery shop here yeterday and picked up an Easton pack. Think it was the full bore. Super light. Simple pack. Internal frame. Had batwing style compression with a meat sling. Seemed like a great day pack with meat possibilities. Might be worth a look or maybe someone here has some opinions on it

mcseal2
08-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Do you plan to use the scabbard? That would make a big difference on what I'd pick.

MT dreaming
08-17-2013, 03:31 PM
I have deer hunted in the South for many years but this will be my first big game trip. Much of my deer hunting gear is not suitable for an elk hunt so I am in the process of "gearing up". It seems that most outfitters offer saddle scabbards but the option of a built in scabbard for hands free use is appealing. Thanks for the advice. I am sure that I will have many more questions.

mcseal2
08-18-2013, 05:48 PM
The Eberlestock J34 is my favorite pack but if you are going with a guide and horses though you probably don't need a pack that heavy. My second favorite Eberlestock is the X3 because I like the upward compression straps better than the ones on the X1. I wish they made it with a narrow scabbard in the quieter camo instead of nylon material. The current version has the wide scabbard, great for my AR when calling coyotes but real roomy for a standard bolt gun.

LintonOutdoors
08-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Some great daypacks list already. These days, a guy can get a really good daypack for under 5lbs without sacrificing quality & durability. Here is a list of some others including specs.

Eberlestock X2 pack - 1800 cu in 4.5 lbs - one size fits all - super tough frame capable of hauling heavy loads, very modular
Badlands Diablo pack - 1900 cu in 3.1 lbs - one size fits all - awesome breathable suspension, very lightweight but comfortable
Badlands 2200 pack - 2250 cu in 5.25 lbs - one size fits all - great pack capable of hauling heavy loads, better for longer torsos
Easton Pickup Pack - 3000 cu in 4.6 lbs - Adj harness, lightweight and great capacity but still feels like a day pack. has a great hauling capability but is brand new for this year so it hasnt been in the field long.
Sitka Flash 20 pack - 2000 cu in 4.55 lbs - one size fits all - super technical pack, all the bells and whistles, very comfortable.
Tenzing TZ 2220 pack - 2228 cu in 4lbs - one size fits all - good durable pack, simple design

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFTDpvxu5tA

Hope this helps!

Work2hunt
08-19-2013, 06:56 PM
I like the eberlestock dragonfly for a daypack/meat hauler and it seem to be pretty decent up to about 75lbs. Also x2 for the Easton pickup but it seems to get a little sloppy as you add more weight and it seems to be difficult to tighten the load down.

25contender
08-19-2013, 06:57 PM
If you plan on doing other western hunts another vote here for the Eberlestock J34 A little heavier but it has tons of room with the Scabbard built in. It compresses nicely and can be expanded at later date if you decide to go on a multiday hunt. I will be using my J34 this year for multiday hunts doubling as a day pack once camp is established.

buckbull
08-19-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm happy with the X1. I mainly bought it over others for the scabbard, which I use alot. Compartment for water bladder is also really nice. If you go with the x1 I recommend getting the pack that attaches to the belt. I use it to keep my electronics like my phone or gps available without taking off the back. I can't stand having heavy objects in pant pockets.

BigSurArcher
08-20-2013, 12:08 AM
KUIU Icon 1850- With the frame...

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb207/tharney/IMG_0566_zps7f72b110.jpg

MtnBoy
09-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I'd go with the X2 over the X1 as far as Eberlestock simply because the frame is way more capable of carrying a load if need be.

This year I've been using a Eberlestock Blue Widow for a daypack (life happened and i had to cancel the 7 day trip i bought it for originally) and it compresses down well, I also like the piece of mind that I'll be able to take a full load of meat on the first trip, especially as warm as its been so far this year, now I just gotta get one down so I can put that theory to use!

Lazykmcranch
09-09-2013, 12:14 AM
I like the tenzing packs