PDA

View Full Version : Kenetrek Mountain extreme's

NVbowhnter
08-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Tried on these boots and they fit amazing, was just wonderning if anyone had used them in the feild and if the have had any problems because I dont want to drop $400 on a pair of boots that could fail me. I hunt high country in the Independence,Bull run,Jarbidge and Toyabie mountain ranges and put alot of miles on my boots. Anyone have any expierience with these boots?

packmule
08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Only negative I have is they're a wee bit stiff.

DryFlyGuy
08-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Three years with them and I will probably get another two or three. I've heard some people have issues with heal slip and/or leaking. I've experienced neither of those issues. I do have the rand start to separate from time to time, but I get it re-glued as soon as possible. I would have zero hesitation purchasing another pair when these are worn out.

hvfd21walker
08-17-2013, 08:06 AM
I had the heal slip. The boots are the most comfortable I have owned. I just couldn't handle the heal slip. Could not get rid of it.

Umpqua Hunter
08-17-2013, 11:00 AM
These Kenetreks have had a notorious problem for heel slip and blistered heels. I own a pair and it shreaded both of my heels and I had NEVER had blister problems before. Besides that it is an excellent boot in all other regards (really).

I recently saw a Facebook post from a prominent outdoor guy and he had just bought a pair and the newest generation of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and they have apparently corrected the heel pocket problem. If you were certain you had the newest generation and the heel pocket issue is indeed fixed I would definitely give them a try.

This spring I bought a pair of Lowa Tibets to replace my Kenetreks. They fit and feel amazing. I spent a few weeks and sorted through several pairs via Zappos (free shipping both ways) until I found a pair that fit perfectly. Crispi also makes an excellent boot and very comfortable boot but they did not fit me quite right.

No matter what boot you get make sure it fits you PERFECTLY. Spend significant time (like hours) wearing them indoors. When you get your boots get on an incline treadmill and do a 1/4 or 1/2 mile to see how they feel. Also make sure your toes won't jam on a downhill decent. The test I used was to sit down on a couch on a carpeted floor and try hard to slide my foot forward into the boot and see if my toes jammed. Those are some ways to test the fit without damaging them so you can still return the boots if the fit is not correct.

NVbowhnter
08-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone, I am sure the boots were the new ones, i just took them out for a weekend and i really loved them, absolutely no problems or complaints,get these boot,best i have ever worn!

Bughalli
08-23-2013, 01:06 AM
I had/have the heel slip problem. It mainly shows up when i get on steep uphill terrain. No issues on moderate terrain. Bought them last year, so I don't know if they are the new or old design. Probably put 75 miles on them and slowly getting a little better. i still wouldnt take them on a multiday hunt though. Not worth the $$ in my opinion.

Timberstalker
08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
I know I won't buy another pair. Blisters and wet feet, not too impressed to be honest.

nwwa huner
08-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Love them. Will never buy another brand. Hundreds of hard miles and still work great.

Fatrascal
09-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I absolutely love them. I have flat feet and they treat me great. They have a deeper aggressive tread than a lot of other boots which makes them grab rocks, roots or whatever is on the ground. Last year my buddies were slipping around in the mountains of Colorado and I never once slipped and fell down. Some boots are narrow giving them less tread while the Kenetreks are wide. For me the stiffness is an added and necessary feature. Soft boots are great when hiking around with little or no weight on your back but if your packing out a deer or elk the stiffness gives you the support your foot needs to handle the weight. A soft boot allows your foot to break down over time and I learned the hard way that soft is not where its at. I'm on my 3rd pair since 2007 and I will keep buying them in the future. I live in Elko and hunt the Rubies every year and Kene's are the shit! fatrascal.

Timberstalker
09-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I must have received a bad pair, I really wanted mine to be what everyone talks about. Mine wore the back side of my heals raw, leak like a sieve and the tread was worn down 75% in the first season, is it possible I received a "lemon" pair of boots?

MSUcat61
09-05-2013, 09:37 PM
I bought a pair last year and was dealing with significant blisters on my heels as others have mentioned and was starting to get a bit frustrated, but I didn't really do much in the way of breaking them in before doing a lot of steep uphill hiking. I read that it takes about 50 miles to get a good "mid-foot flex." I spent some more time just wearing them around, mowing the lawn and whatnot. I also spent a few evening while watching TV just flexing my boots with my hands. Since, these boots have gone from blocky, uber stiff boots that I felt uncoordinated in, to absolutely awesome mountain boots with the just the right amount of stiffness. The heel blisters have disappeared and I am finally really satisfied with my purchase, but it took quite a bit of time and patience.

Fatrascal
09-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Timberstalker, I don't think you bought a bad pair, I think that your foot needs a different boot. Everyones foot is different and you just haven't found the right boot for you. The bad part of this story is that it can get expensive trying boot after boot. Some people who have bad luck with Kenetrek have had good luck with the Mendle's, Lowa's and the Crispi. But I have never tried them. I have tried the Zamberlain and I had similar results as the Kenetreks but after a couple of months they stated hurting one of my feet which has problems. I don't think it was the boots fault but was the foot. Nevertheless, since the Zamberlain was similar to the Kenetreks for me then it probably will not be good for you. Good luck in your search for the right boot. fatrascal.

tdcour
11-21-2013, 06:51 AM
I just bought me a pair of these boots and I really like them, but when I go uphill, I can feel my heel slip in and out of the heel pocket and I know this will absolutely kill my feet in the long run. I have 30 days to wear them and return them if they don't fit right, but how long do I give them to see if I can get rid of the heel slip? Its not like I can go out hiking a few miles a day to test them out then try to return them. Any suggestions?

I'm assuming that its just because they are really stiff and don't flex with my foot quite right yet, but I don't really want to gamble $400 on a pair of boots I hope stop letting my heel slip.

Timberstalker
11-21-2013, 07:13 AM
I only know what I went through. I bought mine in June of '11, that September was my sheep hunt. I wore them all summer trying to break them in, hiking, walks, when ever I could. I thought they were ready by my hunt. Within the first few days of the hunt the backs of my heal were raw with blisters, I bandaged them up and kept at it. By the end of the first week the blisters healed and I have been good ever since. I must have had 200+ miles on mine before they quit giving my heals troubles. Then that next month I wore them elk hunting in wet conditions and my feet were wet within the first hour of the hunt. Not good....

gschuer
11-21-2013, 07:48 PM
I bought the uninsulated wide version as my feet are usually hot and are wide. They seemed crazy stiff at first but were comfortable, if that makes sense. Then had some heel hot spots and minor blisters when under load and actually pretty easy hiking. thought they were going to have that problem indefinetly, and that they just didn't fit me well. Continued wearing them and heel problem seemed to work out (maybe it was as the sole began to flex a bit more). This was their third season and finally wore through tips on a NM desert hunt that had lots of vertical and sharp rocks. Plan on filling the two hole with some Aqua seal and keep on using them. Also plan on buying some insulated ones for a winter/snow likely hunt, either Kennetreks or Lowa.

Bughalli
11-23-2013, 03:25 AM
I'll continue to try and break mine in, but damn it's a painful process. 100 miles on them and they still tear my heels up when hiking up steep terrain. Sent them back so the boot-smith could work on them. Didn't make much difference. At $400 a pair I'm committed to continue trying, just won't do it during real hunts where I can't afford to get a blister. I don't believe the theory of the sole breaking in and flexing. I think it's the front that needs to break in, allowing your ankle to pivot forward without the leather torquing your heel back. I've done a lot of mountaineering and wear extremely stiff plastic boots all day long, often carrying a heavy pack and climbing thousands of vertical feet in a climb. There's almost no break in either. I wear them on snow, ice, rocks, trails and scree with no issues. Those soles don't break in because they don't flex. The upper flexes, actually pivots forward, but not the sole. I don't know why the hunting industry doesn't learn from the mountaineering industry.

We'll see, hopefully next year I can write a post that my Kenetreks finally work great. Otherwise I have $400 door stops.

tdcour
11-23-2013, 07:24 AM
I'll continue to try and break mine in, but damn it's a painful process. 100 miles on them and they still tear my heels up when hiking up steep terrain. Sent them back so the boot-smith could work on them. Didn't make much difference. At $400 a pair I'm committed to continue trying, just won't do it during real hunts where I can't afford to get a blister. I don't believe the theory of the sole breaking in and flexing. I think it's the front that needs to break in, allowing your ankle to pivot forward without the leather torquing your heel back. I've done a lot of mountaineering and wear extremely stiff plastic boots all day long, often carrying a heavy pack and climbing thousands of vertical feet in a climb. There's almost no break in either. I wear them on snow, ice, rocks, trails and scree with no issues. Those soles don't break in because they don't flex. The upper flexes, actually pivots forward, but not the sole. I don't know why the hunting industry doesn't learn from the mountaineering industry.

We'll see, hopefully next year I can write a post that my Kenetreks finally work great. Otherwise I have $400 door stops.

Yeah, I'm afraid of that happening to me. I think I'm going to return mine and try some different boots. Called Lathrop and Sons but no answer. Waiting on a call back to see which boots they recommend for heel slip.

Timberstalker
11-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid of that happening to me. I think I'm going to return mine and try some different boots. Called Lathrop and Sons but no answer. Waiting on a call back to see which boots they recommend for heel slip.

I think you are making a good call. I believe Fatrascal is right, not every one has the same foot. Good luck

ljmelea
11-26-2013, 05:46 AM
I thought about a pair,but seemed like alot of issues with heal slip.I tried the crispi's and have had no problems with a hard full season of hunting in Idaho"s mnts and rocks.Hope this helps,Larry

tdcour
11-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Well, I bit the bullet and returned my Kennetreks and bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots. I must say the fit is much better for my foot, but they don't seem to be quite as comfortable. A good aftermarket insole should fix that. They look like they will be great boots and the lacing system is awesome! I'll be testing them out in December for a week or so, I just hope I can get them a little broken in before then.

Timberstalker
11-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Good luck with your new boots.

MileHigh
12-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Just got a pair this year. No problems with them yet, still trying to break them in.

Varmint
12-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Interesting, both me and my wife got a new pair back in October, our first pair of Kenetreks. See a lot of good and bad reviews here. We've wore them some to work on breaking them in, seem good so far.

Timberstalker
03-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Sorry to dig this old tread up, but I'm at a crossroad with my 3 year old Kenetrek ME's. The soles are gone now, I am considering sending them in to Kenetrek to have them re-soled. It will cost me $150 to do so according to their site. The boots are comfortable now, but they do leak. I cannot afford another pait of $400 boots this year, should I bite the bullet and have my wore out, leaking Kenetreks re-soled and buy some seal skin socks or buy a pait of Danner Pronghorns? Either way I will be spending about the same amount of money.

tdcour
03-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Sorry to dig this old tread up, but I'm at a crossroad with my 3 year old Kenetrek ME's. The soles are gone now, I am considering sending them in to Kenetrek to have them re-soled. It will cost me $150 to do so according to their site. The boots are comfortable now, but they do leak. I cannot afford another pait of $400 boots this year, should I bite the bullet and have my wore out, leaking Kenetreks re-soled and buy some seal skin socks or buy a pait of Danner Pronghorns? Either way I will be spending about the same amount of money.

If it was me, I'd go with the Pronghorns. They are a much softer boot all around, but who's to say putting a new sole on your Kenetreks won't stiffen them up again and make them uncomfortable? My Danners started leaking in about 3 years, but other than that they are still good boots. I'd buy a new pair, personally, while you save up for another high end pair. In my opinion, nothing ruins a hunt faster than constantly wet feet.

Timberstalker
03-31-2014, 12:40 PM
I think that's the direction I am going to go tdcour.

Mr Drysdale
04-03-2014, 09:53 PM
I bought the Mendle hikers from Cabelas in September for a Montana deer hunt in November. Wore them every chance I could before the hunt. Absolutely love them. Did great on the hunt and I still wear them when ever I can. Have not worn any of the higher end boots and have not back packed for several days in a row. Would recommend from my experience.

1shot7mm
04-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Mr.D, Here's my 2 cents. I bought a pair of Kenetreks just before a wilderness elk/deer hunt, where I knew I would be putting on the miles! I only had about 5 miles break -in before the hunt and I had no issues with blisters or hot spots. The best boots I ever bought!! Last year I thought I would up-grade the insoles and bought a pair of the super soles that you heat in the oven and it moulds to your foot. They had alot of arch support for my flat feet. I walked about 3/4 mile and had two big blisters on both heels. I then bought insoles that were more in the shape of the ones that comes with the boots and never had another issue. If lace them tight around the ankle and walk around and feel no slippage, they should work great for your feet. I love my kenetreks and would buy another pair!!

25contender
04-04-2014, 10:38 AM
How do you like your Tibets. I have the same boot and love them. I went with the Lanthrop insole and learned a great lacing technique from a friend which really made the boot even more comfortable. Love the lace locks on the boot as well. I even use them now for my weekly pack hike.

Well, I bit the bullet and returned my Kennetreks and bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots. I must say the fit is much better for my foot, but they don't seem to be quite as comfortable. A good aftermarket insole should fix that. They look like they will be great boots and the lacing system is awesome! I'll be testing them out in December for a week or so, I just hope I can get them a little broken in before then.

Brushstomper
04-04-2014, 12:54 PM
25contender what laceing technique are you utilizing?

Thanks

mnhoundman
04-04-2014, 12:59 PM
25contender what laceing technique are you utilizing?

Thanks

I was also wondering!

25contender
04-06-2014, 02:54 PM
I will do a short video and post it.

ScottR
04-06-2014, 07:48 PM
If it was me, I'd go with the Pronghorns. They are a much softer boot all around, but who's to say putting a new sole on your Kenetreks won't stiffen them up again and make them uncomfortable? My Danners started leaking in about 3 years, but other than that they are still good boots. I'd buy a new pair, personally, while you save up for another high end pair. In my opinion, nothing ruins a hunt faster than constantly wet feet.

Get them resoled, no question in my mind. Sorry I missed that question earlier.

tdcour
04-07-2014, 06:16 PM
How do you like your Tibets. I have the same boot and love them. I went with the Lanthrop insole and learned a great lacing technique from a friend which really made the boot even more comfortable. Love the lace locks on the boot as well. I even use them now for my weekly pack hike.

Love them. I have a super skinny foot so I had to change my lacing technique as well. The hardest part for me was getting used to stiff soled boots. Other than that, they are great

25contender
04-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Video coming soon. A bit longer than I wanted. It takes a long time to upload. Hopefully it will be up tomorrow. Mark

ScottR
04-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Post it on YouTube, then embed as a link.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Brushstomper
04-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks for going through all the work to post it 25contender!

GameSlayer
05-12-2014, 09:01 AM
I am looking at new boots as I had Kenetreks for 3 years and had heel slip issues, but loved the boots other than that. So I'm considering the Lowas or maybe the Kenetreks again with a insole in the heel, unless they have fixed the problem.
Curious on how guys like their Lowas vs Kenetreks?

D.Turvey, Jr
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
I just got an uninsulated pair in to try and I've been very impressed so far. Fits like an athletic shoe but wears like a well built mountain boot. I've been wearing them around the office to break them in and haven't had any of the issues previously mentioned. That said, I haven't had the chance to go on a actual hike with them either. The only down side I have noticed so far, is the leather is a bit squeaky and the lace loops down by the toe click a little bit during the stepping process. For rifle hunters I don't see this as much of a problem but for bowhunters it could be all the difference. I have a feeling both of these issues I am having will calm down with time and wear. I'll keep you posted as the antelope hunting season rolls around and we get into fall.

D.Turvey, Jr
05-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, I have an update from Jim Winjum at Kenetrek. After I posted yesterday, I contacted him about treating the leather on these boots when they are new out of the box. He said some guys do and some guys don't but he suggested to treat them to enhance water repellency, increase their lifespan and as a positive bonus, the leather squeak will quiet down as well. Just wanted to give you that tidbit.

D.Turvey, Jr
05-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Okay, so I used Kenetrek's Boot Wax on my Mountain Extreme's last night and it took away all the noise problems I was having. That leather is thirsty on the new boots so be sure to use an ample amount or do two coats. I am putting the second coat on this evening. Can't wait to get some hunting miles on these boots! Come on September!

Boehunter
05-23-2014, 02:07 AM
I always treat the leather before use my go to is obenaufs.

woodtick
05-23-2014, 12:22 PM
I've had really good luck with neetsfoot and linseed oil for breaking in boots then coating them with Snoseal for wet weather hunting!

Timberstalker
07-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Okay, so I used Kenetrek's Boot Wax on my Mountain Extreme's last night and it took away all the noise problems I was having. That leather is thirsty on the new boots so be sure to use an ample amount or do two coats. I am putting the second coat on this evening. Can't wait to get some hunting miles on these boots! Come on September!

It's been nearly 2 months, how are you liking your boots Dan? I sent mine back 5 weeks ago to get them rebuilt, they should be back in within a week I hope. I really miss not having them.