PDA

View Full Version : Elk Zone 40

Outdoor Union
08-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Does anyone have any information on zone 40. Looks like I will have a good shot at a tag in this zone next year. Thanks for any insight.

Umpqua Hunter
08-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the forum Outdoor Union. Tell us a bit about yourself. We don't know a thing about ya, yet you have asked for hard won hunting into.

kiddwinner
08-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the forum Outdoor Union. Tell us a bit about yourself. We don't know a thing about ya, yet you have asked for hard won hunting into.

I have been to 40... I agree with umpqua hunter!

NDHunter
08-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Does anyone have any information on zone 40. Looks like I will have a good shot at a tag in this zone next year. Thanks for any insight.

There are trees and mountains in unit 40. The elk live in the trees. Every day, said elk come out of the trees and eat grass. Get out of truck, walk around, find elk and shoot.

Outdoor Union
08-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Well good thing there are trees and grass in unit 40. Although it sounds like with the weather they have had out there lately, not much grass around.

I am from Wisconsin and new to the Elk scene. I have several customers throughout Wyoming and met a guy through one of these customers that offered to help me find a place to hunt if/when I was able to pull a tag. So here I sit today, hoping I will pull a tag next year.

Just trying to get an understanding of what kind of Unit 40 is. I have driven through there on both 14 and 14a however I have never really ventured off the main roads. I know the west side of the range is much different than the east. I spent a week in the Big Horns earlier this summer. We were in the Cloud Peak Area hiking for several days. So I have scratched the surface of the mountain range but just looking forward to the chance to get out and finally hunt.

NDHunter
08-19-2013, 08:50 PM
I honestly don't know much about 40. 2 years ago, I was deer hunting in the unit that would be 38 for elk and we were in solid timber and didn't see anything at all. We went in almost blind as far as researching goes and paid big time for it. I learned a LOT of lessons on that trip.

My best advice would be to get some maps for the area, compare it to Google Earth so that you at least have an understanding about the area, and then call the biologist and also game warden for that area. I would think that you would call the Sheridan office for the biologist and game warden but I could certainly be wrong on that. Here is a link to all the Wyoming game wardens: http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Departments/WGFD/pdfs/WGFD_GWARDENLIST0003315.pdf

Also, this doesn't apply to 40 I don't think and maybe you already know it, but a non-resident can't go into a wilderness area by himself. Now if your Wyoming resident friend takes you, I think he can get a resident guide license or something and can take you in there. That would be more applicable to the units to the south of 40. Also, don't call the game wardens in October and expect them to have all the time in the world to talk to you. Call them now or else maybe in December when most hunting seasons are over.

Outdoor Union
08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
NDHunter-

Thanks for the insight. I am just starting the process of putting together as much info as I can. We will be far from the Wilderness Area. The guy helping us is pretty versed in the land. He is not going to hunt with us, he is just going to point us in the right direction. I told him we wanted a DIY hunt. I am just trying to get a better lay of the land and hoping someone out there has hunted it before. The 18 hour drive puts a little wrinkle in my chance to scout the area so I need to rely on any help I can get.

MOHunter
08-20-2013, 09:09 AM
I have my first hunt in this unit planned for this fall. We picked up some leftover cow tags to kind of scout it out this year. We're considering it for a bull in the future. Like Outdoor I live far away and am not able to physically scout the area. I have done tons of map research and talked with biologists, etc. It sounds like you already have a general feel for the area but I'd be happy to share with you what I've learned if you'll PM me. Of course, I'll have a lot more feedback after this fall.

The forest service maps show that the vast majority of roads are open to at least ATVs. I've been told there's quite a bit of traffic, and if you're only hunting the NF that looks to make it pretty tough to get away from crowds. From what I can tell the country is pretty rugged, though. I'd be interested in hearing where most people camp as it looks to be the boundary roads to the east and north of the NF.

kiddwinner
08-21-2013, 12:49 PM
NDHunter-

Thanks for the insight. I am just starting the process of putting together as much info as I can. We will be far from the Wilderness Area. The guy helping us is pretty versed in the land. He is not going to hunt with us, he is just going to point us in the right direction. I told him we wanted a DIY hunt. I am just trying to get a better lay of the land and hoping someone out there has hunted it before. The 18 hour drive puts a little wrinkle in my chance to scout the area so I need to rely on any help I can get.

Good bulls; lots of elk; very hard hunting... PM me