PDA

View Full Version : Porro Prism Binoculars

Sconsin
08-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi, to all. I'm new posting, but I've been lurking for a couple of years. Before I ask my question, I want to thank you folks for all the great information you have shared on here. I've learned a lot.

My question is whether anyone still hunts with or recommends porro prism binoculars. I know that they are bulkier, heavier, and less durable than roof prism binoculars. But they also seem to have a built in advantage of being brighter and having a more three dimensional image. They also are a fraction of the cost. I'm sure the top of the line Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica have probably beat this disadvantage, but I think it is still noticeable when comparing good porros to mid range roof prism. I have never had the good luck to look through a pair of top of the line roof prism binoculars.

I've notice this comparing a Zen Ray ED2 8x43 to a Pentax PCF WP 7x50. The Pentax is a porro prism binocular. My kids have noticed this too without being coached. I also hunted two years ago with a buddy that had a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42. All I had was the Pentax porro. Its my boat binoculars. At one point we were glassing side by side over some distance, maybe a mile, maybe more. I located several deer browising in a brushy area and passing in and out of tall growth. My buddy had a heck of time finding them in his binoculars after I told him the area.