PDA

View Full Version : Co gmu 47 help!

BucksnBulls
08-28-2013, 09:41 PM
I will be hunting the early rifle season this September. This will be my first time hunting this area. I was planning on hunting the Midway Creek basin until recently when I heard a dismal report for that area.

Work and distance has limited me to do all my scouting on google earth, maps, forums, ect. I was able to connect with a couple local biologists and wardens, and they all seemed to offer the same advice. Look high, be patient.

Was what I heard correct? Are most of the bucks above tree line, or should I spend more time in the timber? Are there any drainages or habitat types I should be concentrating on?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Feel free to send me a message or email.

Thanks!

Zach Pawlowski

zdpawlowski@gmail.com

Musket Man
08-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Go as high and far as you can get and glass glass glass! Good luck

Eric Bailey
08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
I would be interested in hearing how you do on your early rifle hunt in 47. I'm hunting 45 which adjoins 47 to the east. I have a muzzleloader tag, which I think is the same season (9/14 - 9/22). Most of the bucks I've seen in 45 were above timberline bedding down in the highest patches of scrub pine. But there are bucks down lower too. They are pretty well spread out. But very easy to spot when they are above timberline.

Musket Man
08-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Where they are at depends on pressure too and not just hunters but that area gets alot of hikers too. How many points did it take you to draw it?

BucksnBulls
08-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Eric I will definitely let you know how it goes.

Musket Man, it sounds like there will be plenty of hikers as well as elk hunters. They gave out 20 tags for this season, 3 of them went to NRs. There were 7 NR applicants and I was able to draw one with 0 points.

Musket Man
08-30-2013, 08:01 PM
I thought it would be harder to draw. I had the muzzle loader tag 2 years ago but I never got to 47. I would avoid Aspen area at all cost. That place is the biggest high dollar, rich people, tourist trap I ever seen. Surprisingly they were pretty friendly and not against hunting from the few I met. But that side is where most of the hikers come from.

BucksnBulls
08-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Believe me Aspen will be avoided! I think the reason the tag is so easy to get (I believe its easiest E1R tag to get with no points) is because of the success rate... Its lookin like about 10% on average over the past 5 years and according to the stats page, only one deer was taken last year!

Musket Man
08-31-2013, 07:32 PM
On the bright side you didnt burn any points to get the tag and the worst that can happen is you will have an awesome backpacking trip in some beautiful country:) Be sure to stop at Doc Holidays in Glenwood springs and have a buffalo burger!

goindeep
09-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I've spent some time in there during archery season, I saw more deer closer to aspen then further away. Don't let the people scare you away, they scare more hunters than deer. Not a ton of deer in that unit but you'll find pockets of them here and there way above timberline in the rocks.

BucksnBulls
09-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Opener is quickly approaching and I will be headed out Thursday am. I just wanted to sincerely thank those of you who offered your advice! I am new to the forum and wasn't sure how willing others would be to help out.

Regards

Musket Man
09-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Good luck! Let us know how your hunt goes.

Old Hunter
09-04-2013, 10:44 AM
You'll understand why you got that tag so easily when you see the terrain. It's rough country. The same tag in my unit had 300 hunters trying for 25 tags. You needed a bunch of points to get it.

It's a trophy hunters tag. You get to use a rifle in mid Sept when you know exactly where the big bucks will be. In my unit the tag is only good for above timberline. In 47 it's in wilderness areas only. Tough hunting.

BucksnBulls
09-14-2013, 03:55 PM
After 6 days in the high country my hunting partner and I returned home with a couple 130 class bucks. Not exactly what we were hoping for but we were proud to take them home none the less, especially with the numbers as low as they are. Thanks again to all who offered their advice!

mattdeere
09-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Got any pics of those bucks?

BucksnBulls
09-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Heres some photos. I hope this works...

BossBrott
09-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Not only did you guys do great, your pics are awesome! The lower pic shows some killer terrain/weather conditions.

sjsmallfield
09-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Not only did you guys do great, your pics are awesome! The lower pic shows some killer terrain/weather conditions.

I couldn't agree more. Those pics are great. Congrats on your hunt.

BleuBijou
09-14-2013, 11:50 PM
For hunting there for the first time I think you guy's did very well!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

mt-mike
09-16-2013, 05:23 PM
You guys should be happy and proud of what you accomplished. You got two very nice bucks in fantastic country and you pulled it off on your own. You can't expect to find the ideal trophy you're looking for every time you go out. I think that's why we call it hunting and get hooked on the challenge. Beautiful pictures!

Work2hunt
09-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Awesome. That second picture looks great with the mountians as a back drop.

buckbull
09-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Those photos are awesome. Looks like some amazing country. Congrats.

Eric Bailey
09-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Congratulations, Zach! That is gorgeous country and your photos do it justice. I trust you had a great experience. I can't wait to draw a high country bucks tag.

In God We Trust
09-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Great job guys

Muleys 24/7
09-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Congrats! What beautiful country and nice buck

ew2642
10-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Congrats and nice pics ! Me and my buddy were two of the NR applicants that didnt get drawn for that unit this year. He will be moving back to Aspen in the spring. Nothing like having someone to do the scouting.

xtreme
10-05-2013, 05:40 PM
That is one awesome picture. Looks like it was a downhill drag.