PDA

View Full Version : Check Stations - How does this work?

cycloneshooter
09-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Being from Iowa and this being my first western hunting trip, I am curious how the check station thing works. Where are the check stations located? Are these fixed locations or a random mobile unit? Do hunters need to actively seek them out for mandatory reporting or is it stop if you come accross one?

I have been able to find very little information about how this works online.

In Iowa, we do all of our game harvest reporting online or by phone.

Also, anybody know a good place in Cheyenne to stop for conservation stamps and last minute hunting supplies?

Thanks

ssliger
09-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Most check stations are in the same locations every year. Depending on funding they may or may not be there. I have seen the number of check stations drop in past years. If there is a check station you have to stop, wether successful or not. I'm not sure what you mean about reporting, I think you only need to report mountain lions, bears, and wolves here. Wyoming game and fish send out surveys after the hunt, but is not required. They have a Sportsmans Wharehouse in Cheyenne now for any last minute items.

cycloneshooter
09-06-2013, 09:36 AM
How I interpret that comment is you only have to check your harvest if you happen upon a check station.
You dont have to actively search out a check station to check your harvest?

In Iowa, we are required to call in our harvest (or online). If they can prove that you didn't, I believe a fine is in order.

Colorado Cowboy
09-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Havn't seen a check station in Wyoming in quite a few years. They used to have one where 3 or 4 states participated just south of St. George, Ut on the Interstate. We stopped once, then after that avoided it like the plague!.

kiddwinner
09-06-2013, 10:58 AM
In wyoming, if you run into a check station then you must stop, if not dont worry about it. You have to check in mountain lions, bears and wolves. I doubt you will see a check station.

Musket Man
09-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Here in Washington if you dont report after the season ends even if you didnt hunt they charge you an extra $10 or so the next time you buy a license.

Z Barebow
09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
You stop whether you have anything dead or not. Pretty straight forward.

Went through one two years ago when we were switching areas. No big deal and talked to the person doing the checking for intel. Her and her husband hunted where we were headed. Opened up any coolers and we were good to go.

jenbickel
09-17-2013, 01:41 PM
No need to seek them out. Like everyone else said, if you come across one, wether you have killed something or not, you must stop. They will ask you for your tags and check your coolers. Probably chit chat a little about where you are hunting and then send you on your way.