PDA

View Full Version : AZ unit 8 for elk.

Firearrow
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
A good friend of mine drew a elk tag for unit 8 in AZ. Has anyone ever set foot in part of the state. Not looking for " THE SPOT", was just woundering if the elk in 8 summer in the same area as the rut, or if they up and move 40-100 miles like some of the other units?

Midwest to Outwest
04-24-2011, 10:56 PM
I also drew early archery in unit 8. I haven't been in that area yet, but everything I have heard is that they are gonna be found in the summer areas(above 6000 feet for the most part.) There is alot of land above 6000 ft in 8. I am trying to gather as much info as I can right now, but when I get my eyes on the land up there, in a couple weeks, I may have some better insite.

huntnrich
04-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Firearrow, I hunted Unit #8 Archery about 4 years ago. It was fun. I'll get my maps out and PM you sometime this week and let you know places that worked good for me. I was there for the entire archery hunt something like 14 days. Anyway I hunted up high to start but then moved to the desert on the West side of the unit. It was a lot of fun, most days I was in bugling bulls.

Firearrow
04-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks will be waitng.

azpudelpointer
08-12-2011, 09:19 AM
appreciate some insight as well @huntnrich

CEi Outdoors
08-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Unit 8 has both higher & low country. Pay attention to the summer rain fall, as this will determine where the majority of the cows will be.

Near Williams, Arizona (aka higher country) you are looking at ponderosa pine type country. If the rut is active it can be on just like any other unit in Arizona. You will have a lot of weekend campers & people out in the woods in this unit, so be prepared.

As you move to the West & South of the unit you will fall into the low country. You will tend to find less elk & sometimes less people. The Monsoon has been spotty thus far, so the areas with the most rain will hold more elk. These areas are Juniper & Pinion pine country. Lots of cactus....

Unit 8 holds some big bulls, but it can be a tough hunt. You can glass the lower stuff a bit, but the near Williams is a bit tougher. I have seen this unit explode with awesome rutting activity in the past, but generally it's not as active as Unit 10 or Unit 9.

Thanks,
Craig Steele

2500HD
04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Just found out my 16 old son was drawn for unit 8 late rifle Bull Elk we are planning to get scouting asap but just really need to get pointed in the right direction can anyone help us out? It will be his 1st Elk hunt and we are going to work our butts off to try and be successful.